King of the World #15: Ragnar

As others have said - Worker first.

Lots of options in this game, Wonder spamming and warmongering both look feasible.

Interestingly there are quite a few huts in Europe and North Africa. Which could net you some gold or whatever (not sure how much huts help on Immortal).

Also while many opponents are probably never going to get far due to bad starts, some are in decent positions. Whoever is starting in the Middle East can be powerful, and the Asian starts are pretty good.

Start with Archery and worker. Send your scout south towards spain (not north!) and see if A) anyone is home and B) what the cross-mediterranian land bridge situation is like. The water tile next to your settler is registering as coast, not lake, but that might be a consequence of modding the original Earth18 map. More likely it has become an inland sea.

After archery, mining>BW>Masonry. Can't improve that stone until you can chop the forest off it.

Found Nidaros and let us see what else is in the BFC. Seafood?

I shadowed the game till music which took a lot. Not an easy game, good luck.

If i recall, this map has the Gibraltar straits closed up, so Iberia is connected to N Africa. The Mediterranean sea is not connected to the Atlantic, how that will effect your game play.

:This note is going on the assumption that we are in France, which looks like it by the looks of those two mountains to the SW

Can't improve that stone until you can chop the forest off it.

That's what I was going to say. Whatever you do, don't go Mining-Masonry.

Another tip: A galley will probably get you the juicy Nile region and other tasty Mediterranean spots, might make it on foot as well. It also seems that the starting spots aren't really random, but use a few preset spots as in my semi-shadow I found Sal exactly where you started.

On epic with raging barbars, they will hit HARD, it looks as if there are alot of wide space above you. I would be very carefull, you might see archers entering your borders before you've finished. AH->Mining->BW->Masonry.

I personally think they will hit you in between Mining and BW, maybe alittle later, but not much. Then improvements such as Pasture will be hard to keep up, then the GW might have been easier from start.

I think I would risk and go something like Mining-> BW and then Masonry and get GW asap.

I might however be a total failure but only the future will tell :)

Good luck, looking forward to this one.

I tried a quick shadow game. Research was archery, mining, BW. Build was worker, archer, settler. I was swarmed and dead by barbs before the settler was finished. Worst game I ever had. Good Luck.

Edit: I popped AH from hut.

@IAM
Spoiler :

Due to the vast ice in the north, the amount of barb spawn was horrendous. I didn't tech archery at all just build barracks and defended w/ warriors. Cover warriors did fine and by the time I got the great wall I had 4 warriors w/ 10xp. Lost 2 or 3 warriors only.
Settling before the great wall looks like suicide unfortunately.

Research AH (got farming from hut), mining, bronze working (need chops and all the hills are forested), masonry, wheel.

With raging barbarians in the standard start date of 4000BC barbarians start crossing your border in 2400BC. I do not remember the turn number and this may have been marathon speed. At this time the swarm of barbarians is large enough that your main goal becomes having enough units defending your capital to survive and this was on monarch.

I aslo shadowed.

Spoiler :

Sorry for no screenshots. I went Mining -> Masonry and then BW. Which was a good move got the greatwall up early and I could slowly start to crawl back into the game. Was however stuck with 2 cities more or less.
It looked okey, until I got DOW'ed by russian just before I was ready to kill off England with swords and catapults. The tech rate where okey, but when I finally finished the war with russian (Me standing in the capital and defending), england had mace and I gave up there, I might return to this one, and will do are more detailed shadow.

Anyways a really really hard map!

Ragnar Lodbrok strode forth from the snowy wastes to the shore of a great sea. Scanning the coastline, he envisioned Trading Post-enhanced Galleys plying the waves, disgorging Berserkers on his hapless foes. Wild game wandered the forests and sturdy building materials studded the hills. For the frigid globe the Vikings found themselves on, this balmy cove was a veritable paradise.

A few shouted orders, and Nidaros was founded in 18,000 B.C.:

Those first years were harsh, but the Vikings were a hardy people, and they persevered. Workers were trained to brave the biting cold and tame the surrounding wilderness.

Our Scouts struck south, confirming that we are likely in what will one day be called France by their accounts of the Iberian landbridge. Their tales of Ice Cows (yes, Ice with a Cows improvement!) were told and retold in the Nidaros longhouse. More importantly, they found a clan of nomadic mystics who laid out a cosmology known as The Great Wheel:

The practical Viking scouts nodded sagely and completely missed the point, applying the concept of the wheel to roadbuilding. The natives protested, but they were butchered and their huts were burned to the ground before they got a chance to clarify their beliefs.

Farther south, in modern-day Gibraltar, an ice queen constructed a gleaming empire of crystal:

Ragnar would bed her, oh yes, but first he had to see to his people.

The Viking scouts turned back north and east, where they found the English in the proto-Aegean:

Ragnar would pass on bedding Victoria.

Farther afield, there were more conquests to be made, and more loot to be sent back to Nidaros:

You can also see the edges of Roosevelt's territory to the north. Roosevelt was an odd fellow, sitting in an office lined with books, despite his lack of Literature, Paper, or even Writing. Ragnar promised him peace, though he greedily eyed the American's defenses.

The Scouts met a grisly end a few years later:

With our roving eyes closed forever, the Barbarian darkness seemed to close in about the tiny settlement of Nidaros. Sages spoke of a talisman known as the Great Wall, which could ward off evil. Ragnar prayed that his people could hold out long enough to construct such a thing.

Feeling watched from the forest, the wise men strove ever harder to research new weapons, pushing themselves beyond normal human limits out of sheer adrenaline:

Bronze Working was finished, but, when the people frantically cast about the city, there was no precious Copper to be found.

Sensing Ragnar's desperation, the People of the Woods boiled forth, shouting war whoops in anticipation of an easy kill:

The proto-berserkers garrisoning the village fought well, slaying Barbarian Warriors with abandon. Unfortunately, the second wave could attack from afar, causing it to rain death instead of life-giving water.

In 16,900 B.C., the furious assault proved too much:

... Well, crap. I went Mining-Bronze Working-Masonry, and Worker-Warrior-Settler in the capital. Maybe the Settler was a mistake, but I wouldn't have been able to get more than a single extra Warrior out, and he would have been overwhelmed quickly (another two Archers appeared on that last turn). I don't see any choice but to go Archery first, and even that doesn't seem like a sure thing. Maybe Raging Barbs was a mistake. I dunno. I lost fair and square. Bummer. So what now?

That was... unexpected to say the least.

I think that you should accept that this game is a loss, but that you should do a redo like the french game (although longer scope obviously) and make this one a full game. After all you can;t let a bunch of neanderthals obliterate the 15th king of the world game before it even really started.

If you sent your scout north to fog bust before the barbs appear would that buy you any time? Other then that, gotta go worker, archer, archer.

Sry to say this Neal but....I chuckled when you died, certainly not what i was expecting. Judging from the Shadow games however, your early loss did not come at a complete surprise.

Lets just call this...a warm up....ya....restart, pump more military and hope for great wall

I aslo shadowed.

Spoiler :

Sorry for no screenshots. I went Mining -> Masonry and then BW. Which was a good move got the greatwall up early and I could slowly start to crawl back into the game. Was however stuck with 2 cities more or less.
It looked okey, until I got DOW'ed by russian just before I was ready to kill off England with swords and catapults. The tech rate where okey, but when I finally finished the war with russian (Me standing in the capital and defending), england had mace and I gave up there, I might return to this one, and will do are more detailed shadow.

Anyways a really really hard map!

Spoiler :

Me too - just the same. Built the wall, then found myself stuck with just two cities. Pumped out units, settled a couple of GPs, took three cities from Vicky, then saw that I was Cathy's worst enemy, she had twelve cities and was WHEOOHRNing all over the place. At which point, I quit. Ho hum.

Top Bottom