1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #16: Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Dec 1, 2009.

1. IAM

IAM Emperor

Continue warring. Hit Germany. You don't have to take all his cities in the first war but grab those nice ones close by.

2. Shoot the Moon

Shoot the Moon Playing World in Conflict

Finish the quest, I'd say take Drill I if possible (First strike Praets just sounds overpowered. You'll get your CR promotions soon enough anyway). Oh, and destroy Germany and perhaps settle Scandinavia.

3. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

I would conquer the barbaric germans first and if possible block of Scandinavia from the russians so that when the conquest of Greece becomes a priority you'll end up with a nice defensible border safe from the predations of the russian bear. Having a russian scandinavia hovering like a spear over your heartland would lengthen any war against russia and take up troops and time to conquer.

After Germany the obvious target is Greece which if it doesn't end up taking sections of Egypt will most likely be crammed between you, Arabia and Persia. Usually it would end up either being stuck in the Balkans, or spreading slightly further to include asia minor, either way it gives you a nice choke point securing Europe as undisputed Roman territory for the time when your preparing for world conquest.

---

Good game. I would wait a bit before converting to Judaism unless it is clear that a zionist plot is taking over the world.

4. Nares

Nares Emperor

It's poor man's deity. Agreed on taking the free CR promo.

5. bestsss

bestsss Emperor

@rolo

the jump unit code (each unit is checked upon declaration), it is supposed to even kill units :p

Spoiler :

Code:
    // false if unit is killed
    bool CvUnit::jumpToNearestValidPlot()
    {
    	CvCity* pNearestCity;
    	CvPlot* pLoopPlot;
    	CvPlot* pBestPlot;
    	int iValue;
    	int iBestValue;
    	int iI;

FAssertMsg(!isAttacking(), "isAttacking did not return false as expected");
    	FAssertMsg(!isFighting(), "isFighting did not return false as expected");

pNearestCity = GC.getMapINLINE().findCity(getX_INLINE(), getY_INLINE(), getOwnerINLINE());

iBestValue = MAX_INT;
    	pBestPlot = NULL;

for (iI = 0; iI < GC.getMapINLINE().numPlotsINLINE(); iI++)
    	{
    		pLoopPlot = GC.getMapINLINE().plotByIndexINLINE(iI);

if (pLoopPlot->isValidDomainForLocation(*this))
    		{
    			if (canMoveInto(pLoopPlot))
    			{
    				if (canEnterArea(pLoopPlot->getTeam(), pLoopPlot->area()) && !isEnemy(pLoopPlot->getTeam(), pLoopPlot))
    				{
    					FAssertMsg(!atPlot(pLoopPlot), "atPlot(pLoopPlot) did not return false as expected");

if ((getDomainType() != DOMAIN_AIR) || pLoopPlot->isFriendlyCity(*this, true))
    					{
    						if (pLoopPlot->isRevealed(getTeam(), false))
    						{
    							iValue = (plotDistance(getX_INLINE(), getY_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getX_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getY_INLINE()) * 2);

if (pNearestCity != NULL)
    							{
    								iValue += plotDistance(pLoopPlot->getX_INLINE(), pLoopPlot->getY_INLINE(), pNearestCity->getX_INLINE(), pNearestCity->getY_INLINE());
    							}

if (getDomainType() == DOMAIN_SEA && !plot()->isWater())
    							{
    								if (!pLoopPlot->isWater() || !pLoopPlot->isAdjacentToArea(area()))
    								{
    									iValue *= 3;
    								}
    							}
    							else
    							{
    								if (pLoopPlot->area() != area())
    								{
    									iValue *= 3;
    								}
    							}

if (iValue < iBestValue)
    							{
    								iBestValue = iValue;
    								pBestPlot = pLoopPlot;
    							}
    						}
    					}
    				}
    			}
    		}
    	}

bool bValid = true;
    	if (pBestPlot != NULL)
    	{
    		setXY(pBestPlot->getX_INLINE(), pBestPlot->getY_INLINE());
    	}
    	else
    	{
    		kill(false);
    		bValid = false;
    	}

return bValid;
    }

6. Ormur

Ormur Prince

Madrid could be "Toletum" or "Caesaraugusta" although that's Toledo and Zaragoza but in Roman times there might have been a village called "Matrice".

7. jameson

jameson Emperor

I'm thinking it might be worthwhile to build the Colossus before you trade away metal casting. The English cities will benefit hugely from it, particularly if you also settle a city at the northern tip of Scotland plus Ireland and Iceland. Conquering the German copper will help speed it up (hint, hint :D ).

If you're going to latinize the names, York should be Eboracum. Caledonia could be a city on the northern tip of Scotland, probably well worth building now that you have the GLH.

Anyway, I'm loving that this series is back, so KUTGW :goodjob:.

8. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

I'd say Inverness would probably be more accurate, if you found on the northern tip. It was the largest Pict stronghold in Scotland, and IIRC, there were few, if any Roman settlements up there.

Anyway, Germany has to go. Even on Diety, Alex should be somewhat of a pushover, if an annoyance. Germany however has a huge base and predictably large army. You go for Greece, he'll hate you even more for close borders.

9. silentounce

silentounce Chieftain

If I recall there was nothing north of the Antonine Wall (slightly north of present day Edinburgh). I mean, that's why the wall was built anyway, at the edge of the empire. He's looking for Latin names. Inverness isn't Latin, is it? Caledonia is what the Romans called the entire area north of Britannia (Hadrian's Wall), so it's a fitting name for a city up there.

Here are some great reference maps: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ee/Roman_Roads_in_Britannia.svg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Roman_Empire_125.svg

This one is huge, but contains the names of the pretty much everything the empire once held:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Roman_Empire_ca_400_AD.png

And I found this one, it's pretty cool because you can click back and forth to view the empire at different points in time:
    http://www.euratlas.com/history_europe/europe_map_0300.html

Now go capture Germania!

Unfortunately, there is no Roman name for Berlin because it wasn't settled/founded until around 1200.

10. mfie

mfie Warlord

Just keep attacking,I would stay around the Europian area though, because its very good land and you won't have a high upkeep

11. JammerUno

JammerUno King

Continue attacking until preats aren't effective any more, which shouldn't take that long on deity.

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That is when Rifles appear ;) In my experience preats are competitive in taking cities ( with some promos on top, surely ) up to grens.

13. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

Well, given that medieval times Trebs+Macemen is strong, Trebs+Praets would work too. That's another power of Praets - they don't obsolete with macemen, so if you want the medieval war, you can build them as "cheap" city-takers.

14. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Quest + settled GG (or theocracy/vassalage) + barracks = CR3 praets out of the gate :evil: As rolo pointed out, they'll be good (with stack cover) until grenadiers and rifles.

15. Rubbaduck

Rubbaduck Artificial waterfowl

Make the Mediterranean yours, as it should be! Then maybe take the Baltic and the Black Sea as secondary Mare Nostrums :D

As for city names, here's a nice map[/shameless wikiwhore]

16. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Take my advice with a big pinch of salt (I'm only on warlord yet:D) but maybe you could leave Freddy to vassalage, vassal him, and use as a buffer against Cathy.

17. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

Don't stop warring. If foreign relations allow it, destroy Germany and Greece (then start running HR to please Catherine).

18. jamesddd

jamesddd Chieftain

you should never stop warring. Take Freddy's 2 non-scandinavian cities Berlin and Hamburg, then hit catherine fast before she has a chance to leverage her huge amount of land

19. Raizer

Raizer Chieftain

Played a shadow game, on Marathon instead of Epic.

Spoiler :
    Settled in place, teched BW > IW and built Workboat > Workboat > Warrior > Barracks. Got some gold from a hut. Popped a Warrior from the Sicily hut.

Izzy founded Buddhism, Saladin founded Hinduism. Alex founded Sparta in the same location that he did in Neal's game.

Stole Cyrus' worker, then, some time later...stole another one from him. The second time, I used both the warrior from the hut and the starting one to capture Cyrus' city of Pasargadae (suicided the 1st). I was dumb and kept the city just to see how it would turn out. Probably going to reload and play again, razing it this time.

Marathon scales a little different from Epic, so I still had quite a while to go before researching IW after I built my Barracks, so I spammed Warriors and crashed my economy. (I finished researching IW with literally 1 gold left, at -9 gpt.) I began chopping and whipping Praets while using the Warriors I spammed to attack Germany. Freddy had 2 warriors defending his capital, I captured it easily. That's where I'm at right now, Berlin captured while gearing up for war with Louis/Izzy with Praets. Again, though, I'm probably going to reload and not keep that Persian city, and make a few adjustments.

I recommend going for Germany next (as others have suggested). Frederick's not likely to have many defenders.

Question - I see some people have emphasized blocking Cathy from Scandinavia; why is that a problem? It is not strategically important, nor does it seem to have good land...Am I missing something here?

20. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

On Scandinavia: I've seen people defending to block Cathy out of Scandinavia. IMHO that is nonsense... in fact I am willing to bet my wage that all the Scandinavia is already occupied by Fred ( he has 5 cities and there is Russian culture in the eastern tiles of what we know of Germany, so there is only space for 2 cities in between our borders and Russia. Hum... where can be the other 3? :p ). Unless people are thinking on razing those cities, that is also a bad idea...