King of the World #16: Julius Caesar

If I recall there was nothing north of the Antonine Wall (slightly north of present day Edinburgh). I mean, that's why the wall was built anyway, at the edge of the empire. He's looking for Latin names. Inverness isn't Latin, is it? Caledonia is what the Romans called the entire area north of Britannia (Hadrian's Wall), so it's a fitting name for a city up there.

That would be like naming a city where Rome is "Italy" or a city where San Fransisco is "California". Sorry, but I'm picky about this sort of thing...

If you want a realistic Scotland city for the time, choose Inverness.

I think conquest victory with Rome is very easy. Plan: Conquer Germany and Greece. Take over good lands from eqypt and russia and vassalize them. Vassalize arabia and persia with knights then split into 2 and take over India and Mongolia at the same time. Troops meet up and vassalize china (take at least one coastal city). Invade Japan and vassalize them. Vassalize Mali meanwhile and getting astronomy. Vassalize aztec, america and inca.

I think conquest victory with Rome is very easy. Plan: Conquer Germany and Greece. Take over good lands from eqypt and russia and vassalize them. Vassalize arabia and persia with knights then split into 2 and take over India and Mongolia at the same time. Troops meet up and vassalize china (take at least one coastal city). Invade Japan and vassalize them. Vassalize Mali meanwhile and getting astronomy. Vassalize aztec, america and inca.

Read KOTW Isabella. I think we want to avoid being too similar to previous installments.

That would be like naming a city where Rome is "Italy" or a city where San Fransisco is "California". Sorry, but I'm picky about this sort of thing...

If you want a realistic Scotland city for the time, choose Inverness.

Well, I don't want to derail the thread so this will be my last response on this issue.

That said, he wants period appropriate Latin names. There is no such name for a city in the north of Scotland. And it wouldn't have been called Inverness at the time anyway because it's pre-Gaelic. It was originally a Pictish settlement. The name of it at the time was most likely something close to Aber Ness. Most of Scotland was peopled/controlled by the Picts during that time period, especially the northernmost areas. Also, the earliest archaeological info we have from Inverness is circa 600 AD which is later than the Roman era. It's possible that during the Roman period the area of Inverness may have been a village or nothing at all, hardly a city. So, if you're picky then you should pay attention to what I'm saying.

You can have the last word if you choose.

Btw, OP, keep up the great work! I'm looking forward to the next turn set.

My two cents worth on the name. Call it Caithness. Its the name of the northernmost area of scotland and the word has pre-gaelic origins even if the word has been gaelicised to an extent.

Also similar to Inverness so its not an obvious region name like Italy or Pictavia. And besides all the settlements in the area are small and of either norse of gaelic etymology, much too recent for a roman era naming convention.

Just replying to subscribe! ;) Nicely played Neal... though I find all this chin-stroking of city names rather silly. The last save was 1375BC, that's a good half millennia before the Roman kingdom even existed! ;)

Just give then a Latinate name by geographical location and/or what it's original name (post-capture) is, eg: London -> Londinium...

I missed the whole KOTW#15! Too bad, for you (on the loss) and me (for not seeing it live).

This is mostly a subscription post, but I agree with the others: strike Germany, then (maybe, if you want) Greece.

I did shadow this, and I found it surprisingly easy compared to the last. I don't think you will have much trouble it was almost a cakewalk after Europe, which you already got more or less. But we shall see, might be some fun surpises. Can post my game when you are done.

With peace settling over the land and three empires ground into dust beneath the Praetorians' Iron boots, the people of Rome proceeded to Latinize their new conquests. Caledonia, to the north, never fully integrated into the empire, but the Pictish people there were skilled with their hands and devout in their Jewish faith, making the region a valuable center for trade and production. Londinium, on the same island, proved to be a valuable buffer between the empire proper and the barbaric builders. It was a city in which Roman and blue-faced Pict alike could walk the streets without incident. Parisiorum and Matrice became core cities of the empire, becoming almost as Roman as Rome itself. Of course Matrice, being the home of the One True Faith, would be especially valuable to Caesar, but its value could not yet be harnessed. And Iconium, on the sandy shores of North Africa, was a long-term project, an early beachhead on making the Mediterranean a Roman lake.

After a short while, Caesar's rulership was codified into a proper Monarchy, and work began on a written form of Latin. The Chinese were regularly pestered in hopes that they would release the key to Alphabet without needing Metal Casting in return (The Picts of Caledonia were busily erecting a massive idol in their harbor, and they insisted that its construction remain a secret). As the Romans drew ever closer to just figuring it out on their own, a 12th Regiment of Praetorians was outfitted for battle in Rome:

The possibility of a Praetorian-led school teaching Drill techniques across the empire was awfully tempting (especially when combined with the special Axe handles developed earlier- Free Drill I and Shock would be really cool), but Caesar decided simply to allow his City Raiders to do what they do best. Unpromoted Praetorians across Europe were taught the secrets of City Raiding in preparation for the next war.

Iron Working was continually dangled to the Chinese for Alphabet, but, unfortunately, they finished researching it themselves before the Romans could finagle a reasonable trade. By the time Alphabet was almost done, though, Qin was willing to part with it for a song:

And the quest for the unified Denarius was embarked on. Rome was large, and had more important things to build than Courthouses, so Currency would be a reasonable stopgap measure to shore up the economy.

After all, there was a new war on:

Frederick was a savage with delusions of civility. He strutted about in his stolen linens and ridiculous hat, issuing nonsense proclamations as if he were a Caesar in his own right! And even on the outskirts of Parisiorum rural bumpkins pledged their loyalty to this buffoon, robbing Rome of valuable production. These shenanigans would need to stop, and Praetorian justice was the best way to ensure that they did.

Berlin, a hideous parody of an actual Roman city, was well-defended, full of Axemen skilled in the art of repelling hand-to-hand attackers:

Caesar approved the training of veterans from the English war as "Breaker" units, going City Raider 3, Combat 1 and Shock. These hardened heroes broke through Frederick's supposedly invincible line and rapidly brought the city into the empire. Ridiculous hats were outlawed.

Hamilcar Barca in our time was a sworn enemy of Rome. In this timeline, though, he was a loyal Roman citizen, a student of the Praetorians' City Raider tactics who went on to teach in the Eternal City:

This allowed us to train City Raider 3 Praetorians out of the gate :devil:

Frederick somehow slipped away from the Battle of Berlin and was pursued to the east:

Berlin was conquered and renamed Germania and Hamburg, after a quick Praetorian-led changing of the guard, became Konigsburg (Okay, not Roman at all, but a way-cool name that just so happens to be right there).

As the old German capital ceased its revolts, we got a fun little message about it:

See? "Germania has been pacified." We're already doing better than the historical Rome!

Of course, Germania's Copper was the final ingredient needed for the mysterious Caledonians to finish their idol:

Traders from miles around came to the British Isles to see the massive creation of the crazed Picts. This, combined with Currency, buoyed our economy somewhat, but we are clearly getting closer and closer to needing those Courthouses.

At this point, the war with the Germans had become a rout. The main force continued north along the Baltic coast, but a small expeditionary force, led by a legendary Breaker, made landfall at the tip of the Scandinavian peninsula to open up a second front:

The German forces were caught unawares, sending most of their might along the Russian coastline.

The city fell easily, allowing an eventual pincer on Germany's last real city of consequence:

And Frederick was reduced to a small hideout in the far north. Rome pursued, of course. It wouldn't do to allow a sworn enemy to recover when he's down. But the war at this point assumed a more leisurely pace.

After all, Europe took time out from its military production to found Hibernia on the Emerald Isle:

And build the Mahabodhi in Matrice:

This shrine also eased our financial woes, but we're pretty much in a full-scale wartime economy, here.

In 470 B.C., Frederick's final bastion fell to Roman strength at arms:

Frederick was given a clean death. A warrior's death. And, no. The blade didn't stick.

So here we stopped. I'm aiming Feudalism, for the ability to vassalize crippled foes, but maybe it's time to just take the plunge and go Code of Laws. After all, we can't keep conquering forever (note: That is a lie).

So here's the world as we know it:

Russia is a nasty border to have, what with Catherine's Creativity and all, but she's Pleased with us, and she has a lot of cities that frankly aren't worth conquering. Alexander is, obviously, a much better target, being hemmed in by the Middle Eastern civilizations.

Do we have a Technological advantage on the Greeks?

Why, yes we do. We have Catapults moving toward the front as we speak. It'll take us a while to recall our Legions from End-o-the-World, anyway, so this will give our siege time to catch up.

Finally, a look at our military loadout:

I know, I know. Get more Workers. That's what Alex is for.

The save:

very nice so far. I only have two ideas, but I should mention I have only been following on Monarch.

1. Consider founding a city in north England. It will never be much, but it will have great commerce with the colossus and Great Lighthouse. I would only do this after you get courthouses.

The only reason I would not do this is colony maintanence. Isn't the city number for colony maintanence 3 cities?

2. Take out Cathy now. In my own game I took over almost everything in almost the same order as you. Just like you I left Cathy alone and attack Alexander. By the time I got around to her she made it one heck of a war. I lost a lot of prats. (I should note that her axemen all got the shock promotion from a quest)

Other than that the only other thing is like you said; workers.

A slight nitpick, Paris is Lutetia.

Of course Latin names for other places are hard to come by but I'm curious about where the name of the Oslo-like city comes from. Also if for some reason you decide to settle Iceland I demand that you name it Thule (or perhaps Ultima Thule but that's supposedly Greenland). :)

Edit: The Latin Wikipedia might also help.

Königsburg might be cool, but so is Arx Regem! ;)

Nice progess, CR3 Prats is just cool.

Take out the greeks and head for engineering for 3 move roads and trebs. Your economy is still great, and you can surely trade for CoL in short order anyway. Focus on consolidating the old roman empire first, taking all the land around the mediterranean. Warspoils will keep your techreat afloat anyway.

Hail CAesar!

Germania falls before the Greek penninsula, perhaps that was the problem with early Rome!

Comments

1) Fuedalism first so you can adopt vassalage for better promotions as an economic civic to pay for your pricey Prats. Next you need Code of Laws, Rome travels only as far as it's purse!

2) Hit Alexander next, wipe him out completely and use Anatolia as a fort to keep out the Middle easterners.

3) Once Al is killed I suggest Hitting Catherine as soon as possible. With Fuedalism and taking the border cities she will make an excellent Vassal and perhaps a more entertaining spouse than Isabella.

That would leave Europe essentially protected by a fortified Anatolia and a vassal.

I have a general rule on earth/huge maps...

A.B.E

Always
Be
Expanding

The trick is finding the correct way to do so.

Joe has a good point and you can start by settling the very northern portion of the British Island and the very western part. May not seam like much but with the Colossus and Great Lighthouse they will get you ALOT of commerce.

Top Bottom