1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #16: Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Rubbaduck

Rubbaduck Artificial waterfowl

Just more names:
    Suionium -> Gothia Borealis(Northern goth-land, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göteborg#Name)
    Scandza -> (Visi)bothnia(Gulf of bothnia is the northernmost part of the baltic)
    Helsinki -> Fennia, or for a Finnish city on that spot use Kuopio. Helsinki is on the southern coast.
    End-of-the-World(lol) -> Lapponia/Sam[i/e]a(Sami land/Lapland)

It might also be nice to call all cities besides Rome by such provincial titles, to denote that they are just that: Provinces.

(I know this might be a bit annoying, but it's what you get for semi-roleplaying Rome on a forum full of history geeks :D)

2. silentounce

silentounce Chieftain

Don't forget about Marseilles, Sicily, Corsica, and other good city spots that exist within your empire. Not right now, but eventually it may be worthwhile to settle one or two of those. Some great coastal sites.

Then again, a lot of those sites, except the south of France, have a lot of overlap with your current cities....

As for names, how about Terminus Mundi for End-of-the-World?

3. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That end of the world city would probably be better as Hiperborea ( unless you want to save that name ofr a Iceland city ;)

Well, without seeing the save I can't tell much more... but I think that you can easily push your way up to India with preatorians as things are going.

As a side note, it still seems to me that QSH is going far weaker than usual. Not that genghis looks that much stronger.... so it should had been Japan that got a dent in the mainland Asia

P.S Alex is already in war? That would help ( BTW why did you forgot the glance/relations screen on the report ? :( )

4. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Ave Imperator,

Forgive the intrusion, but should not Hibernia not be better known as Temair (there should be a dot over the m as a mark of a h, link) ancient and sacred capital of the wild Hibernian tribes, with thier strange form of warfare known as hurling,

Your ever humble and servile slave,
    Brianus the Flooded.

P.S. we didn't come with the last ice age, it was more like 500B.C.

5. IAM

IAM Emperor

Skip all the name stuff and just number cities in the order of founding/capture.

Fun game to read.

6. woodman6035

woodman6035 Chieftain

You are a great story teller! Are you a writer by trade,? a historian,? or maybe both. Your game has inspired me to try it on emperor. I've beat emperor a couple of times, but normally struggle. My game has been a blast. I decided to build stonehenge so I would have the gp sooner and it paid off because it gave Louis time to build the mids. Now I'm running rep/caste and have flown by everyone in tech. Mansa peasefully vassled to me and even though he has only 5 cities, he'll be of some use.

7. Supp

Supp Warlord

You should aim for birthing a great prophet at 1A.D.

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Finally gave a look at the save...

Well, there is a lot of people gearing to war indeed :/ The only war happening now is between Cyrus and Asoka ( I don't bet in the Indians :D ), but, barring possible wars with the still unmet Japanese, we have GK, Cathy and Alex gearing to war. Alex is still preparing since ol'days, so I guess his target is still hatty ( unlike it's new worst enemy mansa ) cathy is both cautious with mansa and Asoka, so both seem probable targets ( Asoka is already in war ( dogpile ) , mansa is weak ( ans it is a common sight cathy vassaling mansa in this map ). GK hates hatty, but it doesn't seem likely that he would gear war vs her .. so barring any war he is doing with the japanese , his target should either mansa or Asoka ( this two guys will be toast soon most surely :D )

Said that , I strongly support war vs Greece now. But for heavens sake... you have OB with him , so why you didn't explored his land so far? :wallbash: He has 4 cities and you only know for sure where two ( sparta and the cap ) are :( .In fact there is a good chance that the best war plan vs greece is to pick the northern army , pass through Russia, join a secondary stack to attack Sparta and make a two point of entry attack .... but that doesn't work without a map :D

I still maintain the point that QSH is far weaker than usual, and pretty weak for a deity AI with 10 cities. My conclusion stands.

It is probably the time to start thinking on getting a prophet for the jewish shrine 8 to push the spread of your religions before Confu, Christian and tao start competing... ) . As it stands now, next GP will be a GE/GM in Caledonia in 19 turns...

The real decision to make now is what to do AFTER the Greek war ( Alex should have one city in Anatolia, Sparta, Athens and a city somewhere in what is today the coast of Romenia ... but that is just a guess ). Do you move to the Middle east and subdue hatty and sal, then persian and india or you move first vs Russia? Both have their pros and cons.....

9. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

"You are a great story teller! Are you a writer by trade,? a historian,? "

I'm guessing not the latter, from the names ;-)

Neil, great game again, although I think praet-rushing earth18 at any level will be too easy. I vote for Always War mongolian hordes next game. I've tried it myself a couple times and it ain't easy!

10. Bolddrengen

Bolddrengen Chieftain

This game should be won by now. Don't know but either we will have some very big surprises ahead of us or you :):):):) totally up. I think it will be a cakewalk from here, thanks to your fantastic gameplay thus far :)

11. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

We've thought it's a cakewalk before, and this being Deity, the AI bonuses get pretty insane later on (I think - the only deity games I've played are like OCC where I give myself a perfect cap, and WB in a modern armor to defend myself). Might be easy, but there's bound to be some issues that come up later.

12. Harv

Harv Emperor

Looks good!

Mega score this one?

How many points do you think he's going to get? 500K? 750K? 1M?

Alex is next?

13. BakingTheArt

BakingTheArt His Evening Coat

If I were playing, I would go for Russia. As Neal said, Cathy is a nasty border to have, and much stronger than Sal or Egypt (IIRC, no metals?). Hatty is unlikely to war with anyone, and Sal probably loves you for being Buddhist, while Cathy either does, or will hate you for that giant ****ing border. Besides, if Sal decides to invade, you have the perfect chokepoint in Turkey.

I would recommend waiting until Vassalage so you can use her a buffer against Cyrus while you consentrate on the Middle East. He's probably going to be incredibly strong later on, and a bad neighbor to have given the fact he hates you. When taking over the Middle East, consider vassalizing and using Saladin as a buffer too.

tl;dr: Sal and Hatty are not threats, but Cathy is. Only invade her after Vassalage so you can keep her as a buffer while pacifying the Middle East/Africa.

14. JoeHollywood

JoeHollywood Warlord

risk/reward time...

I see two options, pump nothing but praes and kill cathy now...

Naval invasion time and take egypt...

Greek land isn't worth the effort at this point. You're obviously going to take it soon, but egypt land is prime, and russia will be easier now rather than later.

15. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, I would normally think on going Russia first, but ....

First of all, Neal seems to have decided going greece first ;)

Second, the Greek land , in spite of poor, is in a stategical position for future expansion.

Third, griping Russia now will only contribute to make Persia stronger

Fourth, Russia is still undeveloped, so it will take much longer to give profit.

Fifth, and probably most important, Greece is closer of Rome and has most of the cities on the coast. Deity maintenance is crazy and neal lacks both courthouses and FP access, so taking Russia now would be a far bigger dent on the budget than Greece.

Going Egypt ASAP is also a bad idea IMO .It would require a navy that neal doesn't have ( not mentioning the MM nightmare it would be to put on Egypt a fightng army via sea with 2 space transports ) and fight against the better defenders there are in the game ATM.

All summed , I still say that greece should go down now. What I'm not sure is what to do next ....

16. Brian Shanahan

Brian Shanahan Permanoob

Turtle up for a while and develop econoically and finacially, while preparing for a future war, maybe?
    Maybe its time for him to get his own house in order before bulldozing everyone elses. Personally I don't have the patience for this strategy, but it could be what Neal needs.

Edit: actually he's not too baldy off econoically, runs 50% science at a profit (form the snapshot point of the save) and 60% at a slight loss. Get forums up and running everywhere and this will go up. One other thing firsbuild in Germania after Greek wars should be a library IMO, free academy. I imagine Maoi go in one of the Greek cities. Oh yeah my original strategy would presume taking out the Greeks first.

17. Nares

Nares Emperor

The AI finally researched archery?

Dang.

18. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

I'd take out the greeks and then turtle up. It's a big border with Cathy, and it'll be frustrating since she'll steal all your good tiles, but having the choke point in Constantinople will be worth it overall (especially so you don't need Rome to fight tiles). My usual strategy with Europe is grab to Constantinople, turtle up, and then come back later with cuirassiers or cavalry. In this case, with the strong melee, I'd maybe go out to rifles or cannons and do a Treb/Rifle or cannon/Praet war to conquer the rest of the world.

19. IAM

IAM Emperor

I second what r rolo1 said. Greece first.

20. silentounce

silentounce Chieftain

You shouldn't turtle until the advantage you have from Praets is gone or your economy starts to struggle from the expansion.