1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #19: Lincoln

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Mar 19, 2010.

1. RyanZ

RyanZ Chieftain

Seeing as your army is depleted and you have a phi leader it might be worth it to switch to pacifism for a while

2. shyuhe

shyuhe Deity

Sitting Bull is a peaceful unit spammer. I'd leave him alone until you have a decisive military edge on him. I would re-group and try contacting the old world for now. Attacking longbows without maces or trebs is pretty much suicide.

3. Coffee Mug

Coffee Mug Chieftain

Nicely done. I don't think Sitting Bull will declare at pleased, so that's one less thing to worry about. I'd scout out his land; a long slog of a war against protective, totem-poled longbows will be ugly. A quick strike to capture the bulk of his empire by surprise might work. Either way you'll need more advanced troops.

And I imagine HC still has his work cut out for him clearing the jungle. Let him be for now.

I'd second RyanZ's point about pacifism, especially if you can afford to turn Washington into a GP farm. (That's still a weak point of my game, so maybe a less important city could do the job; Washington seems to have the most food/pop to spare, since I assume you want to keep Mexico City as a unit pump, and keep working the cottages in the Villahermosa.) Can you safely forego slavery in favor of CS?

4. IAM

IAM Emperor

Civic changes?

I would opt for peace in the immediate future. Sitting Bull probably won't attack you and South America is bottle-necked for any attack. Let's rebuild for a few turns, see what opportunities present themselves, then make a move. We may be close to contact giving the new world tech situation. Someone old world is almost certainly ahead. That said next war begs for South American action.

Oh, and nice turn!

5. Yared

Yared That Guy

Yeah, too late to change it now.

6. Neal

Neal King of the World

re: Taking Animal Husbandry- Yeah, that's a weakness of mine. On an Earth map, you'll always have SOMEONE willing to trade techs with you. In the New World, though, that's not nearly as much of a given. Ah, well. We can't let things be too easy, can we?

7. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

For those wondering why Animal Husbandry was a bad trade, "We fear you are becoming too advanced" comes from reaching the tech trade limit (the # of techs that were traded to you), not from actually being advanced. AH could have just as easily been Machinery. Oh, well.

Nearly .5 workers per city. Time to triple that, or at least double, while you're rebuilding. You have 5 great potential cottage cities on the East Coast (or 4 & a GP farm) that will seriously help out your tech rate.

Sitting Bull has, what, 4 good cities? He won't declare at pleased, and he spams units. As far as I'm concerned, he's a renter whose lease will come due eventually. I vote for making a foothold into South America and preparing a new central location for the Palace. (I assume Forbidden Palace is being saved for the Old World).

Did you get Taoism? Probably not, but I was curious. That probably means to start expecting Caravels.

8. vanatteveldt

vanatteveldt Emperor

the wfyabta limit actually holds for tech trades "observed" by other nations, so counter for the old world civs is still zero.

right?

9. Kev

Kev Hired Goon

Wondering if there might be something that can be done to get Sitting Bull up to "Friendly". I realize you'll have border clash, but with civics, religion, etc it would be worthwhile to try since it would mean that he'd trade techs with you.

Not sure if a war with HC and Pacal would ruin your efforts to get SB to Friendly (declare war on friend), but if you are set on warring I agree with the contingent suggesting South America. At this stage, you might be able to catch HC spread out with underdeveloped cities and can at least curb his growth. Waiting will only make things more difficult as he is a tech-monger and will trade with the Old World as soon as they start showing up.

10. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Pissing off the Inca seems like a bad idea. I say Switch to Pacifism and focus on keeping a small guard of Archers and siege while focusing on tech until the Euro's/East Asians show up.

11. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Their blood has washed out
    Their foul footstep's pollution!
    No refuge could save
    The hireling and slave
    From retreating in fear,
    Or the gloom of the grave!

12. SanePerson

SanePerson Warlord

Nicely played round. Although Huayna may be running away with the tech race, it would make sense to take out the Native Americans next for America's more productive land. However, as you and others have said, your economy needs a long rebuilding period.

13. CHEESE!

CHEESE! On a long nostalgia trip

Where's Abe gone?

14. Neal

Neal King of the World

Yeah, I know. I'm terrible. I'm gonna try to get the next round played and posted tomorrow.

15. Tyrant Roger

Tyrant Roger Warlord

Where is Abe? The World wonders and laments. He is needed badly ...

16. Yared

Yared That Guy

GUYS, COME ON FREAKING CALM DOWN

Let him take his time.

17. Neal

Neal King of the World

Heh. I'm working on it. And, at this point, you're perfectly justified in huffing in my direction. I just haven't had a lot of free time on my hands, and what little I've had has been spent on Puzzle Quest: Galactrix, of all things. Anyway, I'm about two dozen turns into the round. Contact with the Old World has been made from the west, but we have Caravels too, now, so hopefully I can greet Europe before they know Optics, too.

18. Sciguy001

Sciguy001 CiV Great Scientist (duh)

Kill the Incas next before they become too powerful by developing all of those lush Amazon riverplains.

19. Neal

Neal King of the World

Okay, guys. The round is played. I'll get it written up tonight or tomorrow.

20. Yared

Yared That Guy

Nice avatar :lol:

Glad to have you back :)