1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #19: Lincoln

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, Mar 19, 2010.

1. CreeDakota

CreeDakota King

Monarcy would help you with Diplo with Inca and Maya, not that they are too war like but still.

I would want all of NA to myself; maybe bribe Bull/monty into a war and then join in once they have hurt each other somewhat?

Research wise I favor machines next.

2. IAM

IAM Emperor

United States Marine Corps anthem:

USMC "From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli etc."

3. dalamb

dalamb Deity

Carthage means the Barbary Pirates, I think: Tripoli is pretty near Carthage.

4. Ormur

Ormur Prince

By Japan do you mean commodore Perry since you place it before Spain? Although Japan is more likely to control the Philippines than Spain from which you took it in real life.

5. Neal

Neal King of the World

re: Yared- Madrid is not, in fact, inland. In order to make room for Portugal, Izzy gets shunted to the coast on Earth34.

re: Bigv32- I actually did the Mediterranean invasion schtick in the Sitting Bull game. There was a European front, too, I'll admit, but I ended up marching to Babylon from the sea and opening a full-fledged Middle Eastern front. Quite fun. Unless there's an existing Eurasian war that I can jump in on, though, I don't think it would be the best of beachheads.

re: China- with Wang Kon squatting to the east and Sury sitting on the southern jungles, China isn't even close to the power on 34 that it is on 18. If I remember correctly, Persia usually ends up being the big bad, though the elimination of Carthage could open things up for a scary Egypt or other African civ.

re: CreeDakota- Montezuma and Sitting Bull are already at war. Have been for centuries, now. That's why I was able to turn my attention to the Maya without too much fear for my flank.

re: Multi-front war- Not bloody likely :)

I plan on having the next round done Monday or Tuesday. Thanks for the continued interest!

6. Yared

Yared That Guy

Aha. Well, if they're forced to share it, they must be even weaker.

7. IAM

IAM Emperor

On Earth map there are just a couple of easy obvious places to invade the old world. Wurope chief among them. Maybe take the Nile Delta first and work your magic from there? Of course it's tempting to prepare the fleet and jump into whatever war is already in progress. But first your continent is full of Bull....

8. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

IIRC the Zulu can also get pretty powerful on Earth34 maps.

Europe has the best land on the map, will be very divided, and there's a pretty good chance someone is a heathen for an easy foothold. Since that seams to be a "been there,done that," I'd say fight a winning version of the Vietnam War. The Himalayas would limit your flanks to just China & India, both of which have decent land and would be fun to conquer.

Plus, China kind of backed North Korea in the Korean War, right? So you'd have 3 historical U.S. battles (kinda) if you started with Vietnam.

9. silentounce

silentounce Chieftain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Barbary_War

Yes. Obviously, Carthage had long since fallen. But it's that geographical area and it contains some of the Civ4 Carthage's main cities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Derna

First American land battle on foreign soil after the Revolution.

Did you know about this interesting Revolutionary War battle?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Paul_Jones#Ranger_attacks_Britain

10. Yared

Yared That Guy

Yeah, there are a lot of resources you could claim in Indochina.

11. west india man

west india man Immortal

Also in Australia as well, and the west is more valuable than it initially seems - there's vital resources like oil and coal there.

12. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

North America is actually full of late game resources like Coal, Oil, & Aluminum. Unfortunately, the only new resource to pick up in Australia is Sugar. :(

"Vietnam" alone nets every Calendar resource save Incense, plus Rice, Pigs, Stone, and Elephant. China fills in a lot of other resources with Horse, Pig, Wheat, Incense, & Marble. After that it's just Cows in India, and Sheep in Tibet and/or Mongolia. Wine is pretty much the only resource that can't be picked up in that area.

13. drlake

drlake Emperor

I'd hope that there would be wine in North America, ffs!

14. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Ugh, I hate trying to get Horses. The Old world civs charge so much for it...

15. IAM

IAM Emperor

Not that big a deal IMO. On Earth map you know what to expect and can plan for it. By the time you reach the oldworld with armies elephants are sideshows. Horses can be dealt with between Pikeman and rifles.

16. Jaaboo

Jaaboo Prince

Yeah there should be wine added to the California area for sure.

17. CarlH

CarlH Warlord

not really, just because french grape vines have been planted in Cali does not mean they should be shown as native resources. Otherwie horse should be there as well.

18. drlake

drlake Emperor

Hmm, fair enough. While there were wild grapes in North America before it was colonized by Europeans, they didn't consider them suitable for wine so most of the grapes grown for wine production in the US are European varieties.

19. Sian

Sian Emperor

it would be reasonable to be wine in Newfoundland ... after all, it was called Vinland (Land of Wine) by the Vikings :p ... though, it was problery not grapefruit wine ...

20. IAM

IAM Emperor

:coffee:advertising just like naming Greenland.