1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King of the World #22: Gilgamesh

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Neal, May 4, 2012.

1. Dem Taqat

Dem Taqat Bladespawn

Given that he's already deployed Vultures to take a barb city, I think it's pretty safe to plan on having them too. :p

I dunno why everyone is so obsessed with Iron though, since you can build spears with copper anyway... :rolleyes:

DT
    Captain Obvious :mischief:

2. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

3. coanda

coanda Emperor

Wait we have vultures now... why do we care about Iron?

I saw a discussion about whether we have iron and assumed we needed it, but you're right we have copper...

4. The Oz-Man

The Oz-Man Enter: The VAIKE!

Ramesses has War Chariots, and Axes are chariot food. Presumably no one is keen on checking how much better Vultures fare against chariots than regular axes--at least not without a backup plan first.

5. ben-jammin

ben-jammin Emperor

I'd definitely have put your eastern city 1N of it's location with a second 3S. Hard to go wrong though with such densely packed resources. Is the whole map like this, or is it like the regular earth map with certain areas having next to nothing and others having resources on just about every tile?

6. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

What's the problem? Vultures kill WCs on offence, and you can make spears with Copper.

7. Neal

Neal King of the World

Ugh. I'm not dead yet. But this new-city job search has been eating up a lot of my free time. The round is played, and will probably be written up sometime tomorrow. Here's the save:

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well ...
    Spoiler :
    So, you're walking in Memphis :p I guess this is only a rest until you finish the Egyptians and close your south border for now. Then India, I guess, before China tramples them.

9. astre

astre Emperor

agrees with rolo ^^
    time for cleaning :p

10. Saru

Saru Warlord

Tomorrow's a loooooong time :)

11. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

"Tomorrow" in Neal-speak translates to "next month" ;)

12. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

That is the weird thing about tomorrow : it is always 24h after today :D Maybe Neal is waiting for "tomorrow" to be today :D

13. WelshGandalf

WelshGandalf King

To be honest, if he's going to post this rarely, it might be nice if he said it was OK for someone else to carry this series on. When he was away for 12+ months, that was what the discussion was about, and it was felt that no-one could just take over "his" series. It's a great series and I enjoy reading it, but the posts are just....so....far....apart now, it's hard to get into and follow.

No criticism of Neal meant; it's his life to do as he wants to and he probably has RL stuff going on.

14. vranasm

vranasm Deity

sorry but the correct answer for you question is "make your own series"...no one's withholding your hand on this...

you can always state that you were inspired by Neal, but you run your own show.

I saw couple of people attempting their own series, but too bad they stopped after 1-2 games...as you can see it is difficult to make your own series, not because anyone would flame you for this, but mostly because most people are not persistent enough

That's why I didn't attempt series of mine :) I knew I would post like 1-2 games max and even then I won't probably finish them...thus why I just concentrated on running learning games for myself.

15. FunkyBike1

FunkyBike1 Chieftain

Tomorrow... can wait forever.

16. Manco Capac

Manco Capac Friday,13 June,I Collapse

Ah people these days, no patience at all. :)

17. capnvonbaron

capnvonbaron Democratia gladii

lol

Good thing I stopped holding my breath a bit ago.

18. strijder20

strijder20 Wallowing in irony

Dear fellow civfanatics!

I present you...

The undead Capnvonbaron!

19. Kyronea

Kyronea Chieftain

So, after a huge amount of reading over probably a week, I finally finished all twenty-two, so far, of the KotW playthroughs. These reads have been equal parts hilarious and awesome, have inspired me to take to Civ IV once again, and to actually learn how the play the game properly. I'm horrid at it and I learned so many thing through reading these that I think I'm going to be fairly decent once I fully get into the swing of it.

It seems like something has kept this one from continuing so far. I'm hoping it'll be picked back up soon and that it will progress well. Neal, you're an inspiration for sure. Please, keep up the good work.

20. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Giggles is too underated around here, mainly stemming from the old 'OMG Pro is crap therefore anyone with Pro must be crap' mentality.

1) Pro is no longer crap now that we know how to Engineering rush. Pro crossbows and half cost castles are actually uber for treb rushing. Also if lacking Iron, you still get Vultures + trebs.

2) Giggles starts without fishing, and 2 amazing start techs - Agri and Wheel. IMO there is no better start combo than this as you can pick Pottery or AH depending on land / resources, and then Writing for your second tech to start building a half cost library. Occasionally you might need Mining first, but if you have a good food or cottage start Id go straight for Writing first to make the most of Cre with these starting techs.

3) So lets say you research AH first and can't find horses? Not a problem, lets try BW ... Wait what no copper too? Now what do we do, game over right? Nope, that means that Iron is in your BFC, and you are Pro. Use archers, slingshot Machinery / Engi, win the game.

4) 90 :hammers: CH at priesthood. You don't need to wait for CoL to begin rapid expanding / conquering. Put up Ziggurats and Castles everywhere, your economy will be thankful.

No one is more versatile and adaptable as giggles is.