1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King Solomon w/Israel Civ [MODULAR]

Discussion in 'Civ4 - New Civilizations' started by nzk13, Feb 24, 2010.

1. nzk13

nzk13 Some Jew-boy on Noble.

This mod includes the israel civ from civ gold (credits in the credits.txt file in the zip). I added King Solomon using The_Capo's leaderhead, gave him Imperialistic and Charismatic. Download the zip and extract into your mods folder (C:/2K Games/Firaxis Games/Beyond the Sword/Mods) or (My Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword/MODS). This mod is for BtS 3.19. http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14315 Charismatic and Imperialistic are good traits for solomon, right?

2. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher King

Charismatic and Imperialistic are probably 2 of traits I would not choose for Solomon.

Spiritual, Industrious, Philosophical I would choose before those 2.

3. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Solomon is known for his wisdom, isn't he. This ways, charismatic might be okay, although philosophical sounds better. Depends on what exactly these traits do (which I don't have in mind yet) and a little bit on what's the other trait. Don't know what's with imperialistic. Don't know what Solomon did during his reign. Did he expand Israels borders significantly? If so, expansive or aggressive could be an alternative.

4. nzk13

Oh, he was Charismatic. Everybody loved him. And ask any ancient jewish historian (meaning a historian writing about ancient jewish history), he was also Imperialistic.

His wisdom was why he's charismatic, and I agree with you, philosophical would be good too, but i could only put in 2 traits. Read the first book of kings (old testament), it talks a lot about his reign. He did not expand israel's borders, as far as i know. And another reason I did Charismatic was because Solomon had the situation under control, diplomatically. And please download!

5. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

I think he should be either Spiritual, Industrious or Spiritual, Philosophical.

6. cweb118

cweb118 Chieftain

Question. I put the folder in the correct location, but when I launch Civ and go to start a new game, Isreal is not a civilization option (Solomon isn't there either)
    I tried custom game and Play Now. Should I be looking elsewhere?

7. cool3a2

cool3a2 Deity

Sounds to me like modular loading is not activated. Check the mods files, there should be an .ini. Open it with your favorite editor and search for the following lines:

; Modular XML Loading
    ModularLoading = 0

Change it to

; Modular XML Loading
    ModularLoading = 1

If this doesn't help or if it is already set this ways, check your BtS directory for a _Civ4Config file. Again, open it and check for the lines I mentioned above (for some users it's there, for others not, don't ask me why and don't be afraid if there's no such line).

8. cweb118

cweb118 Chieftain

Hmm...
    It was already set for the .ini., so I tried the second way and set it to 1, but it still isn't working correctly.
    Anything else that is unconfigured?

9. Edgecrusher

Edgecrusher King

I am confused.

You mention that he did not expand Israel's borders, yet he is Imperialistic? That alone should answer your question about if he should be Imperialistic or not.

10. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Yeah, actually I'd really venture to say that none of your leaders would be Imperialistic per se. Imperialism involves subjugating other nations into your Empire (Imperialistic comes from the Latin word for Empire, Imperium), not simply expanding borders. To use the Israeli tribes as an example, if one Israelite tribe conquered another one that is almost not an example of Imperialism. If one Israelite tribe conquered the Moabites and Assyrians that would be Imperialism. That may not be a great example, but to sum up what I mean, Imperialist shouldn't be part of this mod at all IMO.

11. LincolnOfRome

LincolnOfRome Glutton for Punishment

Solomon should be [IND/CRE]

Solomon was not charismatic leader. A charismatic leader is respected by his army in war such that they become a great army. His father David was charismatic. But David conquered a vast area to leave a time of peace for his son Solomon. David was famous for the "mighty men." This was a ragtag group of vagabonds, debtors, and bandits that became a great army under David's leadership. David might have been imperialistic as well. Joab was a great general, and Abner, another great general, left Saul to join David. There are other possible traits for David. The [CHA/IMP] description might fit David, but not Solomon.

Solomon was industrious. Jerusalem was a mountain fortress conquered by his father. Solomon made it a world-class capital and one of the greatest cities of the world. The temple in Jerusalem was one of the greatest works in the ancient world.

Secondly, he was a creative leader. A creative leader is one who makes the reputation of his nation great. His culture becomes respected and envied throughout the world. Solomon was such a leader. Below is a quote from the Queen of Ethiopia. For two thousand years, kings of Ethiopia claimed to be decended from Solomon and the Queen.
    An argument might be made that he was financial as well:

12. nzk13

I've decided that, based upon popular opinion, I'm changing Solomon's traits to Industrious/Philosophical. I will release it under the name "King Solomon w/Israel civ [MODULAR] v2" in the Downloads, Civilization IV, New Civilizations folder. Other than that I don't think I should change anything. I plan on uploading it either tomorrow or the day after.

Happy Purim!!!

13. LincolnOfRome

LincolnOfRome Glutton for Punishment

Happy Purim back to you!

Yes, I think that fits much better. Thanks for all your work. I am looking forward to playing as Schlomo.

14. nzk13

15. thecowwarrior

thecowwarrior Warlord

Thank you for simply giving Israel one UU and one UB. I hate it when custom civs get 17 of each and throw off the game's balance so badly..

16. plasmacannon

plasmacannon Emperor

Industrious makes since.
    It is hard to imagine Israel without a Spiritual leader though.

17. Mixen Dixon

Mixen Dixon Chieftain

Could someone adapt this for Warlords?