1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

KING TAMAR OF GEORGIA!!!... and amanitore concept art

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by GenyaArikado, Feb 13, 2018.

1. DeepKing

DeepKing Warlord

A lot of you guys are talking Aminatore but the real flub is Tamar.

At least the first looks like an actual person, Tamar looks like an actual 9 year old made her in game model.

2. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Emperor

Did I say that? I didnt even mention her weight. Her design is just so plain. Even her clothes are boring - It's just gold on gold on gold. The concept art has more personality to me

3. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

My best guess is this isn't the case. Nubian art from this period tended to still follow Ancient Egyptian conventions, which had continued through the Ptolemaic period (with some stylistic differences). Men and women were both depicted as quite thin. Egyptian queens were not depicted a "fertile and well fed." Quite the opposite. Hatshepsut might be a bad example, because she had herself depicted as a man later in her rule. But we know from her mummy that she was quite overweight. Granted, that was when she was 50, so it's anyone's guess what shape she was in when she was depicted as this thin woman:

nzcamel likes this.
  4. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Idea Fountain

Yeah, I'm kind of miffed they took away the veil, it does add a lot to Tamar's "Pious Warrior Queen" persona.

Still a fashion icon though.

5. K4wa

K4wa Chieftain

I imagine that Tamar's headscarf was difficult to animate, that's why it was omitted.

6. ferretbacon

ferretbacon Obsessor

I know what you mean. She looks a little "off" in her body shape/stance. Not sure how else to describe it.

Tech Osen likes this.
  7. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

I'm still completely baffled by the Tamar model. I simply don't understand how anyone can look at these two images and think: "Yes, nailed it".

EDIT > Ok, just for fun, tried to play around a bit with the image, it's not perfect, but I do find this mockup oddly intriguing!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. GenyaArikado

GenyaArikado Judge of Love

you do know they lightened her up right?

Not that far from this

although the whole looks seems to have been inspired by this which explains the brown hair and dark skin

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Thormodr and nzcamel like this.
  9. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

One thing Civ VI has dropped the ball on since the beginning is the leader depictions. They range wildly from the ridiculously cartoonish--Philip, anyone?--to the nearly realistic styles of Poundmaker, for example. There has never been a clear central graphic vision to which they've hewn...

Don't get me wrong. If you're going with cartoons, leaders like Philip and Pedro are great examples of the genre, but when you contrast them with an entirely different art style, its a glass of cold water to the face.

Tamar definitely epitomizes the lack of graphic direction...

Tech Osen likes this.
  10. kaspergm

kaspergm Deity

Yes, I am aware of that. I still get Pocahontas when I see her, though.

11. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Deity

IOW, you don't anything about the body types in that part of the world.

12. BenZL43

BenZL43 awkward cat

Perfect summary of my concern too. As if Poundmaker was created by a designer of totally different class/experience it makes the rest looks lacklustre. I wish they’d revisit those work later and upgrade it to Poundmaker level.

Jackanape likes this.
  13. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Don't forget about what Headman Tootoosis would think if Poundmaker were a caricature with Poundmaker depicted as having his Hudson's Bay Point Blanket as a security blanket, despite him being a grown man.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Well Poundmaker is one of the best animations in the game. Of course, I think Gilgamesh is also a really good one, and he is a tad on the other end of the "realism" chart, haha.

nzcamel likes this.
  15. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

In the Leader Depiction Elimination Game I created last year, Cyrus came out as the winner.

Weraptor and nzcamel like this.
  16. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

She looks nearly identical to a Russian girl I know once they lightened her skin.

17. Jackanape

Jackanape Warlord

That's a good point, and one I had thought about as well. Cyrus has already been mentioned...What then, about Tomyris? She's probably the next most realistic animation in the game, and there's no one to complain about her portrayal.

I think they would do well with a review of the visual foundation of the leaders. Or allow us to turn them off while still having a raise dim selection from the rest. There's nothing worse than really getting into a game, and then that clown Pedro comes along and blows the whole deal. Makes me want to go to war just to stop looking at him and being reminded there's probably still that oaf Philip to deal with.

18. Sotof

Sotof Chieftain

It isn't my area of expertise, but Hatshepsut might be the worst example of all. :D It was just a stray thought from my side anyhoo since it was popular for the upper class to do that in Europe for quite a while at least, and you also see it with a lot of fertility goddesses from around the world.