1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

King units and corruption

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by marceagleye, May 22, 2003.

1. marceagleye

marceagleye Underground Economist

Recently I started playing with regicide because I like and agree with the notion that if you kill a nation's leader, you kill that nation. However, I believe that you should also be able to use your king unit to stop or significantly reduce corruption. like if one of your cities is only giving you four shields out of eleven and seven gold out of sixteen, You can sentry your king in that city and get 9 of 11 and 13 of 16 instead. That would be great- really. I mean- if President Bush came to your office to see the brains of American industry at work, would you be slacking?

2. carlosMM

carlosMM Deity

:lol:

I'd say:'Hey, we paid you enough, get outta here and to work!'

3. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

It would unbalance the game, though. Stick the king where you want your FP, Palace or wonder, and build.

4. Bonaparte

Bonaparte Chieftain

I agree with Chieftess. In reality it makes sense but I think the gameplay would suffer.

5. Quokka

Quokka Prince

A pity you can't flag units with 'reduces corruption' like a Courthouse or Police Station. It'd help but not break the game.

Or have the King send the city he's in into WLTKD.

6. Grandraem

Grandraem Alchemist

I don't see how it would unbalance the game. If I understand correctly, only the city that the king was in would get reduced corruption (and maybe the cities around it). I think this is a great idea. Besides, if someone wanted to chance losing their king by transporting them to another city, probably less defended than their capital, I don't see the harm in a little reduction of corruption.

While on this point, I think it should maybe increase the happiness of the citizens in the city while the king is there. And maybe some other benefits. This would give a great reason for the king to do visits outside their capital, and give the enemy a chance for an assassination attempt.

7. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

Another way to see the "presence of the King" situation is that it INCREASES corruption! ;)

While it may not be the king individually, it's all his ministers and aides that are taking bribes to get anything accomplished.

Even in a democracy (e.g., USA), I think that bribery/corruption is much higher than is acknowledged ... perhaps much higher than depicted in Civ3!

8. lordex

lordex Chieftain

I like this idea of a "mobile FP" :) To take it one step further, the corruption reduction of a King should vary depending on the government type, e.g., more effective under despotism and monarchy, but less under Republic and Democracy. :)

9. Bacon King

Bacon King Emperor

And on Mass Regicide, the bonus would be reduced, or maybe one king would cause increased, one increased production, one more happiness, ect.

10. earendil 1

earendil 1 The Halfelven

yes, but it is unbalancing because the Ai only keeps his king in the capital. Also regicide games are too easy in single player because all you have to do is plan a quick sneak attack to destroy the Ai's civ. Also regicide is especially unfair when you get nukes because then all you have to do is nuke all of the civs caipitals to kill their kings in one turn and you get an easy conquest victory.

EDIT: I'll bet youre talking about using a king for completion of long-term projects. Well if Bush arrived in Chicago and stayed for 10 years, do you think that he would continually monitor industrial progress, and that the executives would get really stressed out about making as much productions/shields/whatever as they can?