1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

KiwiTT's Road to War Mini-Mod

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by kiwitt, Jan 15, 2009.

1. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

0.32 is almost out. This weekend hopefully :D

In 0.31 already available (see sig), for major nations their unique units have a number of names available, upto a certain number and then they revert to generic names, when the list of actual unit names run out.

2. kiwitt

WWII European Temperature Variations from 1960 norm.
    Code:
    1936	0.269
    1937	0.494
    1938	0.536
    1939	0.172
    1940	-0.828
    1941	-0.986
    1942	-0.778
    1943	0.477
    1944	0.167
    1945	0.107
    1946	0.208
    1947	0.147
    1948	0.341
    1949	0.531

It looks as if only 1940,1941 and 1942 were the really cold. Other years were mild. I might make some changes to the python script one day.

3. kiwitt

New Introduction on the download page (see my sig) for which hints about what to expect in version 0.32

4. kiwitt

0.32 Released. :D

There is a "Cheat" mentioned in the readme0.32.txt

5. wotan321

wotan321 Emperor

So do we load these in the Mod that had the old .31 files, or just in the RtW 3.19 folder and rename the files from .32?

6. kiwitt

If you have already made a copy of "The Road to War" as "The Road to War - KiwiTT", you can add the new files to the this folder and rename appropriately. There are more files to rename :D

Take care.

Note: There is some new artwork as well for the Generals, so you wll need to add these art files in the same folders, as indicated.

7. kiwitt

As discussed previously this will be focused on unique battleships, cruiser and carriers and unique bombers and fighter for each major nation.

I will focus on the last class built in WWII for Battleships, Cruisers and Carriers.

For Fighters, I will essentially keep the same classes, Fighter, Improved and Jet.
    For Bombers is where the variation will appear.

Bomber Tech I, II, III and may try to add Tech levels IV and considering varying for each country.

- Germany - Dive Bomber, Light Bomber, Heavy Bomber, Jet Bomber
    - Britain - Medium Bomber, Heavy Bomber, Dive Bomber, Jet Bomber
    - USA - Medium Bomber, Heavy Bomber, Dive Bomber, Jet Bomber.

This may be released in a few months though as I would like to play 0.32 now for a while. :D

8. kiwitt

Minor Fix released 0.32.1 - Maximum number of Pillboxes and Anti-Tank Defences missing

9. kiwitt

In playing the game until Mid-42 as German, I have discovered that there are just too many Generals, which distorts the game and also detracts from the "special" nature of these units. So all Nations have now had their number of General's reduced, most notably, Germany, Russia and England especially.

A revised version 32.2 should be released soon.

NOTE: Problems I am finding with 0.3x is delaying work on 0.4x - please bear with me.

10. kiwitt

Winter effects will only be 1940,1941,1942

11. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

hi kiwitt i have been playing your mod, i've really loved (sorry my english im from Chile, South America), i like your mod, the unique names for warships and infantry divs, but, can you do a map starting in 1939?, because is a little bit boring playing since 1936 and spend hours in front the computer..

another thing...i've note that the AI is to fast with tech development, because has "PanzerArmee" or jet bombers something middle 1941 and is not historic, the russians have a lot of troops so thats very good..

one more thing, when France Fall and "VICHI FRANCE" born, the tech develop for the team "germany + italy + vichi france" is too fast, 1 turn for tech?...so in 10 turns i have nukes and still aren't in war with Russia??..

i played the 0.32 version of your mod

12. kiwitt

NOTE: I have used an escalating tech path the later the tech the more it costs.

In addition, Germany were very advanced in Technology (see www.luft46.com), however Hitler chose not to build them as he preferred more of existing proven techs. It was not until he encountered the huge amount of enemy production that he realised he needed new tech equipment as a counter to this production. And they appeared later.

NOTE: While you may have the technology you still need to build them. And you are also limited by how many you can build.

e.g. An German Army Group can take over 10 turns to build (i.e. half a year.) in the best production city (Berlin) and German had 10 of them.

What difficulty level do you play at ?

13. z3r0x

z3r0x Chieftain

Can anyone please explain in detail how to install this mod... I have done exactly what the install "read me" says to do and have searched these forums also.

I changed the name of the RTW mod folder to "The Road to War - KiwiTT"

then copied his files into the rtw folders and renamed each XML to match the old ones and added _old onto each original file that was replaced. BTS finds the mod folder but then on load I get a game crash and debug dialog. The authors responses in other threads of "reinstall" etc are not acceptable to me as the mod RTW worked fine until I installed this addon. Am I missing something here?

IMO.. anyone have any ideas why the author chose to have such a ass backwards and complicated install process?

14. kiwitt

I am sorry you are having problems with the mod.

1) This is a "Mod" still in development hence the version number of 0.3x - therfore it does not have a refined install procedure. I have released it to the wider community so I can get feedback on it. This is still a work in progress.

From page 1 of this thread
    2) You need to copy your existing "The Road to War" folder (leaving your original intact) as "The Road to War - KiwiTT", thereby leaving your existing "RTW unaffected by my changes. You should still then be able to play your "original" Road to War scenarios.

3) Have you installed UE. If so, that could be one of the reasons for the errors you are having.

4) I am not as skilled a "modder" as some people, nor do I have the time resources to refine issues like install procedures. When I get to version 1.0, I hope to have it refined

Also from page 1 of this thread
    i.e. This install is very technical considering it is a "Development" release (a bit like installing early version of Linux ... years ago)

Please bear with me ... It is only me whereas other "mods" here have dozens of people on the "Team" or alternatively can work "full-time" on it.

15. Supermarine2000

Supermarine2000 Warlord

kiwitt even with problems in install your mod...your mod is great...really love your mod...so i'm waiting a new release...congratulations

i hope that you have a 1939 Europe Map soon...... ;)

16. kiwitt

Thanks for your support... I needed that ... I left quite upset after that last post.

What you could do in the mean time is play one game up to say 1Jan 1939. Save it and restart it again each time to see how it plays out differently.

I have noticed that changes to the XML files (the majority of my mod)are reflected in the reloaded games, but not the map changes.;)

17. z3r0x

z3r0x Chieftain

Kiwitt, you have made a great mod which is why I want to play it... sadly, it will not work for me. It just crashes. I do have the UE edition of the RTW and the latest patch for BTS.

I really have no idea what is wrong here.. it just crashes every time. RTW regular works fine. I have RTW UE 1.1 and my game is patched to 3.19

Shall I screen shot the folder for you?

18. kiwitt

If you have the UE edition. My mod will not work. That is the reason for the crashes you are getting. My version is only compatible with the "original" version of "The Road to War" since version 0.3 release. You are essentially combining 3 mods into one.
    I will be re-incorporating UE in Version 0.6.

So what you need to do is this if you want to play my version

1) Uninstall Civ4 completely and BTS etc.
    2) Reinstall Civ4 (and all patches) then install BTS (and patch v3.19)

Then my install procedure.

19. z3r0x

z3r0x Chieftain

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Does it work with RTW Addon Pack 2?

20. kiwitt

Addon Pack 2 is part of the "Official Release" of Road to War, so is already incorporated.

"Addon Pack 3 beta" became "UE"

All you are missing is really "Global Assault" and maybe some other enhancements I am not aware of yet.