KiwiTT's Road to War Mini-Mod

Ok fantastic.. I will give this a whirl. I am downloading the older version of RTW. That process is alot faster than a complete reinstall. of BTS

That may not work ... as my is based on the "original" BTS version supplied version.

Let me know if it does.

Actually, now its not doing anything. It wont load at all. I dont even get the crash dialog anymore. All I know is the RTW mod that came on my disc was not that good. It had old models, Polish Bi-Planes for german fighters etc. I dont want to to go back to that. I will re-install.... something I didnt want to do.

One of the rule of thumbs I do is when I modify a Mod (e.g like adding UE) .. I always install in a another folder and leave the original intact. Or alternatively make a complete copy of the "original" and save it somewhere else.

The joys of working in a development release.

Note: Version 0.4x will change the planes again.

I've never modded this game before, but I am big on Eye Candy as well as playability, and realism. I want to use the Corps, and Armees youve created but sadly, I am not willing to go back to the old old old version of RTW with the old models that just didnt look right at all. BTW... if you ever need some assistance in adding models I am a modeler, skinner etc. Here is some of my work.

http://www.everythingeaw.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=19

http://www.everythingeaw.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=16

Many of these models I made for a mod that died that a friend of mine was making, I have models finished for literally every WW2 tank... not to mention Half Tracks, trucks, planes, ships, artillery, field guns, AA guns, and even infantry.

Looks Good. I could add them in when I work on the 0.4x series of this mod.

NOTE: I have replaced some of the models my mod.

Id be happy to send you my E-Boat model as the germans should have those.

Currently playtesting 0.33 - any last updates and errors from 0.32 please place them in this thread

I have just discovered how to add a new classes (SS Panzergrenadier Div - included in version 0.33), so I will now add new classes for all nations. This is going to take a bit of work, But it will help me control how many units each country can produce, and make it more historically accurate. I will probably leave this development for version 0.4x though. But it looks promising. :)

Version 0.33 is near release. Will probably release it this weekend. Just need to do one more invasion of Russia as the Germans. :D

Ran in to problems with 0.33. Need to debug it further.

hey kiwitt in your next version of your mod, can you put stop to the bonus research when a new ally born?..for example, i am playing with germany and when born "VICHI FRANCE" for 10 turns i can research in 1 turn every technology, when hungary and romania join the axis, the same thing happen, in 1 turn i can research ALL technologys, so in 3 o 4 turns i can have the atomic bomb, so...in your next version can you disable that research bonus for the team?...

This has been a problem noted in main version of RtW. (read the other RtW development Threads)

NOTE: Just because you have the technology, it will still take a long time to build it. Aslo, the Allies (US, Britain, etc.) would miss out this leapfrog, which would make it easier for the Axis as well.

My focus is on on Units and significant restrictions are in place, even though you have the Technology.
Spoiler :
Tech costs have doubled or tripled in 0.33.
Only one or two Atomic bombs/ICBM can exist and they take a really long time to build.
0.33 Released :D :D :D

Hi,

I'm new to the mod, but I'm enjoying it very much so far.

I wonder if I've installed everything properly. I followed the instructions, except that I didn't rename the original files to *_old, I just replaced them. That may be causing some of what I'm seeing.

I do see the large map, which is very nice. Well done! But in my build queues, I don't see any mention of divisional or company units, just, for example, PzKw VI Tiger Tank. Is that normal for turn 4?

I also notice that I start out with Heavy Tanks researched. Is that as expected?

I do have named units, and they all look very good!

All in all, I'm excited about this mod. I was frustrated by many of the same things in the original RtW that inspired you to start making this mod. Thank you for all of your hard work! I eagerly anticipate future releases.

Edit:
Also, the scenario started with huge numbers of Landing Craft owned by many different nations, all sitting in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. The Barbarian States also have enormous stacks of Landing Craft that they seem to be trying to sail to the Mediterranean from, for example, the North Sea.

Yes in this version 0.33, I have given the most major nations the Technology to create, Army Groups, Panzer Gruppes, Armies and Corps in advance as if you remember, Germany had 3 army groups when they invaded France and even Panzer Gruppes in Poland. France also had Armies and Corps. You will also note that I have reduced the strength significantly of these combined arms. This to to reflect that fact that sometimes the higher unit may get one of this lesser units to operate independently.

Tech development now plays a lesser role in the game as opposed to building units. However, Tech development still gives unique promotions and higher Techs e.g. Jets and Atomic techs, plus higher level industry., so it is still worth pursuing somewhat, but not to the deteriment of building units.

(NOTE: If you do not like this aspect - you can enter worldbuilder and remove the techs from each nations manually.)

As to all the "Barbarian" landing craft stuck in the ocean. These are for the AI to kill and build up Experience to reflect the stronger navy they had which I had in Version 0.2x. Also as the AI also need to make Assaults from the sea, I thought givening them plenty of ships will help in that.

You will also notice "Bitter Winter" only comes on in 1940, 1941 and 1942 the three coldest winters in WWII history.

So the problem I'm having is that I don't see how to create army groups. Are they supposed to be buildable in cities? I don't see an option to build them there. Are they formed by units once they've been built? I don't see any button that does that. I'm a little bit baffled, but it's only Oct. 1936 in my game, so it may be that these options appear later.

Yes, I like the idea of restricting "bitter winter" to the historically cold years!

Also, I notice that global warming seems to be turned on. Is there an easy way to turn it off?

Thanks again!

Have a look at the Civilopedia to see what the requirements are.
Spoiler :
e.g Germany needs the Reichstag to build them army groups which helps to limit how many can be built.
Most answers are in there.

RE: Global Warming. No I left that on (don't know how to switch it off - probably a setting in the GlobalDefines). Nice for it to be on ... as a reminder to the impact on "Climate Change" :D

When I look under "Units" in the Civilopedia, I don't see army groups listed. And I don't see them as a build option in Berlin. I think I must have made a mistake during the install of .33.

Oh, and I just got bitter winter terrain in Dec 1936. Hmm.

Top Bottom