KiwiTT's Road to War Mini-Mod

Using Notepad to edit the map now. It is significantly easier than "Worldbuilder"

All Generals have now being added, via this method

Next I record all the co-ordinates of the cities so I can ensure accurate placement and naming of the units.

Units naming is almost complete.

Some changes planned for the units are required based on my new limits.

Allied Corps
I am considering making US and British Corps, Armoured only and no Infantry Only corps this means that US and Britain will have to research Tank Corps. However, when they do, they will quite powerful, i.e. upto PanzerKorps strength.

German Korps
I will make the German Armeekorps Infantry only albeit with one PanzerGrenadier Div, reducing their strength a bit. The Panzerkorps will still only have one tank div, plus other divs. These will still be powerful.

Russian Corps
I will make Russian Rifles Corps the base infantry unit, replace rifle divisions. However, I will still add to the start map NVKD Rifle Divisions, using the Generic Infantry Divison as strength. As to Tanks I will also make the Tank Corps the base unit making it as strong as the Panzer Division (almost), but will also populate the map with Russian Early Tank divisions. These Early divisons will need to disbanded or destroyed so that more Rifle or Tank Corps will be built.

French, Italian, and Minor Nation Corps
These will remain "Infantry" Only, and no "Armoured" Corps available.

Allied Armies and Army Groups
These will be available and will also be "armoured" i.e they will very likely have a armoured component. Army Groups will replace Tank Armies.

German Armies and Army Groups
These will also have the have an armored component as will of course the Panzer Armies. However, access to Army Groups and Upper Commands Groups will require the research of Army Groups and Armoured Groups.

Russian Armies and Fronts
As you saw above tank and rifle units have been lowered, so the Armies will be lowered as well. This will allow the placement of Fronts and higher level commands.

French, Italian, and Minor Nation Armies
Like corps, these will be limited to infantry only and no armored component.

Version 0.30 is near release. It has been a lot of work. All countries have been modified significantly.

3 new type of bunkers have been added. Two are movable (pillboxes and anti-tank ditches) albeit a movement point of 1, this reflects "transportation".

Significantly, the Russians are now really tough to beat. Their volume of units are now huge. However, you must start the game in "Historic Mode" as this will allow their opponents some time to strengthen. As a counter to the mass of units they have they can not build any more (stronger) units until they lose or disband some. Noter: this will reflect the massive encirclements that occurred in the opening of "Operation Barbarossa"

A couple of highlights are being refined prior to release.

Germans
I have replaced the Panzer II with the Panzer III for divisions. More appropriate I think. I have also added the Panther which replaces the infantry for the German Army. Currently working on adding the King Tiger to represent the Army Group.

Not sure what to do with the Panzer II. Considering incorporating it into the German Korps Group (e.g. 1 panzer II icon and 2-3 infantry), if that will work. Using the template of the Settle which has multiple different kinds of units.

Allies
I will also use the same tank (the Sherman) for the Allied Corps as Britain and the US used them. The Allied Army will again have unique tanks. Considring replacing the Churchill with the Centurion, which is the equivalent of the M26 Pershing.

Russians
I will use the T-34/76 for Russian Tank Corps and the T-34/85 (or KV-1) for Russian Tank Armies and a JS-2 for the monster Army Fronts.

Not sure what to do with the Panzer II. Considering incorporating it into the German Korps Group (e.g. 1 panzer II icon and 2-3 infantry), if that will work. Using the template of the Settler which has multiple different kinds of units.

That worked ... will do it for all combined arms unit.

First: Great Work on the RTW-Mod! :)

Test played as Germany and Russia seems to be too strong in the beginning of Operation Barbarossa.

Building fortifications in cities would be a great thing!

Can´t wait for Global Assault! ;-)

Best wishes!

Thanks for the encouragement, Peter. It really helps. It's quite a lonely job developing a mod.

Version 0.30 is looking really good, however it must be played as "Historic" or "Near Historic" as Russia will be really too strong in open play. i.e. they start with over 200 "weak" Rifle divisions and 70 "weak" tank divisions.

Forgot to write that I played in historic mod. ;-)

I ´ll give it another try of course if I can find the time.

Really good made!! Keep up the great work!!!

NOTE: There appears to be a fault with Russia as a playable nation, but I thought I will release it early as I believe the fault lies in the WBS file.

Others may assist in trying to help me debug it. Now all files have been released.

I will continue to refine 0.30, so please post any bugs or changes you would like to the European Map.

Some thoughts for version 0.40

Some sharp eyed people may have noticed "Version 0.4, I will change the air units to Fighter I,II,III and Bomber I,II,III".

What this means is that when a country develops a particular technology level different aricraft will be available for them.

e.g. for Britain

B I = Wellington
B II = Lancaster
B III = Typhoon

Note the last one "Typhoon" which is a dive bomber. Whereas the German's will have it first

B I = Stuka
B II = Ju 88
B III = Ar 234

I will also try to add more bombing capabilities to some of the "Carrier" based fighters

I forgot to add updated install instructions.

Installation Notes
1: Copy the entire "The Road to War" folder as "The Road to War - KiwiTT"
2: To install these files, find the location of the original ones and replace them with mine.
3: Essentially renaming the originals by adding old to the name and renaming mine to the original names.

Hi!

Tried the 0.30 version and germany seems technological too far. They had modern tanks, modern infantry and me 262s in masses in 1939!!

Keep up the great modding!:)

I like the added cities!! Makes everything a bit better!

Thanks for the feedback.

Will look into the development costs again. I agree. Have discovered the same thing as well. Note: I was playing as Settler, where research costs are cheaper. I may increase the tech costs again. But more than likely find some way of slowing Germany.

Which will mean looking at the cities. Also they were growing too fast. Berlin reached Mega-City size of 62 !!! They are a good addition. Every Country has a lot more. It is also the cities that determine the amount of Research, so will need to look at them in more detail.

As to units; - I do not like the way the animations work for the combined armed units, i.e. infantry and tanks and may revert to simply tanks and infantry seperately for most units.

I will release a 0.31 after I have played all the nations, to identify any faults. Already identified a number of them and editted the XML files accordingly. PM me if you want these changed files. Otherwise please wait until 0.31 is released.

Please continue to provide feedback, as it only goes to strengthen this game.

Ideas for a later release;

Each Nation has unique Great People.
More unique units for Minor Nations.

However, this will take quite an extensive amount of research, so will have to wait 'til I have finishedplaytesting 0.30.

Playing Germany as Historic. (will update as game progresses)

Sep 1939 - Poland Defeated
Apr 1940 - Denmark Defeated, Norway Invaded
May 1940 - Holland, Begium, Luxembourg Defeated.
Jun 1940 - Italy Joins the Axis. Sent to 99th and 169th Afrika Divs and Afrika Korps (von Thoma) to Libya and lost them to the English Corps from Jul 1940 - France Defeated, Regrouping for Soviet Invasion next year.
May invade Britain if I win the Battle of Britain (unlikely) ... Lost the battle. Regrouping for "Babarossa"
Jun 1941 - Invaded Russia. Baltics, Smolensk and Kiev taken is first turns.(Will give German Armies to Armor Units same as the allies)

Im downloading RTW now and will try your mod today. I wasn't satisfied with many things of RTW but this mod seems to address many of those issues. I will post feedback. Cheers.

NOTE: You do not need UE to use my mod. Thanks for downloading. hope you enjoy it.

Ah, can u explain step by step, what I need to do to get your mod working. I got 3.19 BtS. You say I dont need to download UE ? How exactly is it going to work then ?

As mentioned on the first page -
Installation Notes
1: Copy the entire "The Road to War" folder as "The Road to War - KiwiTT"
2: To install these files, find the location of the original ones and replace them with mine.
3: Essentially renaming the originals by adding old to the name and renaming mine to the original names..

You can find the "The Road to War" Folder under "Mods" in the "Beyond the Sword" folder.

This will let you preserve the "original" Road to War

I have playtested the Germans to the defeat of Russia and discovered that this highlighted below changes
Russian Corps
I will make Russian Rifles Corps the base infantry unit, replace rifle divisions. However, I will still add to the start map NVKD Rifle Divisions, using the Generic Infantry Divison as strength. As to Tanks I will also make the Tank Corps the base unit making it as strong as the Panzer Division (almost), but will also populate the map with Russian Early Tank divisions. These Early divisons will need to disbanded or destroyed so that more Rifle or Tank Corps will be built.
did not work.

So will need to change the map for the Russians again :(

Top Bottom