1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Know anyone who had Covid-19?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bamspeedy, May 18, 2020.

?

know someone with Covid-19?

This poll will close on Dec 18, 2020 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Me and/or members of my household

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Close relative or friend

6 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Distant relative or acquaintance

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. I know this guy

5 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. i know this guy who knows this guy

11 vote(s)
    42.3%
  6. i dont know anybody who had it

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  7. i suspect my household had it, but was never tested

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bamspeedy

Bamspeedy We'll dig up the road!

Have you, or someone you know got the coronavirus?

Poll coming:

You and/or someone in your household.

You or members of your household suspect you have/had it, but was never tested.

A close relative (1st cousin or closer) or friend.

A distant relative, former friend, someone you kind of know, etc.

Someone you 'know', or as I call an 'associate'. You know who they are, and may have had casual conversations with, but don't know much about them.

Don't know anybody who has it.

My daughter's boyfriend's family has it.

El_Machinae likes this.
  2. civvver

civvver Deity

My wife's aunt's brother-in-law. He's someone my wife has met but I wouldn't say we know. We're close to her aunt.

Then in a very round-a-bout way, my daughter's neighbor friend/school mate/drama partner has a friend from dance class who got it. So that's definitely I know a guy who knows a guy. The only reason we learned about her was she presented strange symptoms not much like coronavirus at all, some rashes and fatigue, more like hand foot mouth, so they were spreading the word for kids to watch out for that.

3. Socrates99

Socrates99 Bottoms up!

Back in February two of my sons and my wife had a pretty severe flu with high fevers. I had some pretty bad chest congestion but no fever. It was a hard congestion, not loose and rattling. It felt like I had a sore throat in my esophagus rather than my throat. Neither boy tested positive for influenza but the doctor treated it as if it were flu because "sometimes there's just a false negative." My oldest son never really had symptoms but he's always been good at shrugging off sickness, must have a killer immune system.

The worst symptoms only lasted 7-10 days but we all experienced shortness of breath for a good month afterwards. We suspect it may have been covid but really don't know. My wife intends to avoid an antibody test because she's worried the hospital may force her to work at one of its branches in the hotspot cities if she tests positive.

Also, we all had flu vaccination, dunno if that's relevant. Sometimes the flu vaccine is ineffective.

4. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

hmm, if we can math out the mean number of degrees of separation in a sample group, can we figure out how many people have it, in total? just curious.

5. Josu

Josu King

I know some confirmed cases, and several cases of intense flu, most of them before the crisis started.
    Let's go with confirmed cases, a relative i see once or twice a year, had it. She is ok now.

A friend of mine's friend had it as well.
    I have been a pair of times having beers with him, but not a friend. He left hospital last week.

On the other hand another friend of mine's uncle passed away after 45 days in the ICU.

Finally I heard that 2 guys from my company passed away as well, they use to work in an Office which is about 500 kilometres from mine.

6. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Ummm... possibly...?

I had some serious flu-like symptoms (chills, 40°C+ fever, dry cough, headaches, joint pain, total exhaustion) in mid-January, about 2 weeks after making a ~6 hour train journey from south to north Germany.

It knocked me out completely for about 4 days (started Monday afternoon, the first time I could get up without feeling woozy was Friday). This was really unusual for me, because I don't usually get sick for that long or that seriously, and I haven't experienced anything like that in decades, not since my early teens (I turned 45 this year). I was signed off work for a week (also a first), and still felt wobbly for another week after that. My wife came down with similar symptoms a couple of days after I did, and it took her about the same amount of time to shake them. Neither of our boys got it.

The doctor who signed my sick-note (on the Wednesday morning) did also take a cheek-swab, but I have no idea what it was for, because I was still too bleary at that point to properly follow/translate what she told me (the doctor's surgery is only 10 minutes' walk down the road, but my wife had to drive me there, because I didn't even have the energy to do that). To be honest, I don't know if she even sent the swab for testing at all: I suspect that what happened was that she offered to get it tested -- for flu? -- but only if I authorised the extra claim on my insurance, which I didn't do. Either way, I never heard anything back from them.

This was all before CoViD-19 was really on our radar, though, so at the time I/we just assumed it was a really nasty 'flu. But with hindsight, I would be interested to know if I now have SARS2-coronavirus-antibodies -- so I ticked 'suspected'.

A couple of weeks back, I was told that one of my colleague's sister's partner(?) got diagnosed with it -- so I also ticked 'I know someone who knows someone'.

EDIT:

I just remembered that at least one CFC-er has confirmed that he has had it, in a public thread (I'm not going to tag him here, though: he can speak for himself, if he wishes). I've interacted with him fairly regularly, so I've amended my vote to also add 'I know someone'.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    yung.carl.jung and haroon like this.
  7. Estebonrober

Estebonrober Deity

Grandmother in law.

Hydroxy and a Z-pac seemed to help her a lot and she is in her 80s. She is in good shape though.

Also we've had dozens of patients be positive at my hospital where I work.

haroon likes this.
  8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Nope, although my dad strongly suspects his boss was one of the original carriers to Minnesota as right before Covid kicked off in Minnesota the boss had been to a conference in Washington.

9. Arwon

Arwon

Not many cases in Australia but a friend of a friend who moved to the UK (who I've met a few times) got it. So far none of my American friends have got it.

10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Doesn't really fit in the poll: The mother of a friend died from it.

11. Bamspeedy

'Guy' in the poll can apply to women too.
    'Have' can also mean 'had', whether because they recovered or passed away.

But I'm guessing the issue is it hits you harder because of how hard it hit your friend.

If you never met her then 'guy I know knows this guy'. If you met her once or a few times but nothing more than "hello" and conversation of just a few minutes, then 'i know this guy'.

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I know my friend pretty well, so "a guy who knows someone" doesn't really apply.
    But anyways, voted for that.
    I don't know anyone else really otherwise, besides that there must have been someone in the same department who's mom died, but that goes rather "I know a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy".

13. Bamspeedy

Yes, I could have put degrees of separation for each one, but then the options would be too many (every option for the person's relation to you, I could also put their relation to your friend, or relative, or acquaintance).

The poll wants to know your relationship with the one who got Covid, not your friends relationship with them.

Admittedly, 'I know this guy who knows this guy" should have be worded something like "I know someone who knows someone".

14. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I only know people here who have gotten it. My brother is in Manhattan so I've been worried. I also suspect that I have known a lot of asymptomatic carriers, potentially even myself as I'm out exercising every single day and no one wears a goddamn mask.

15. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

My niece and her boyfriend who live in Brooklyn both had all the symptoms. They were never tested and never went to the hospital.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Zelig

Zelig Beep Boop

Couple people. One was hospitalized, other had minor cold symptoms.

People claiming they had it based on symptoms and timelines are typically mistaken given test positivity rates for symptomatic individuals.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. thetrooper

thetrooper Schweinhund

Household had a mix of strange symptoms in March. I had the worst:

Coughing but not the cough until you puke or pass out.
    Chills. Never had this kind before. Just a couple of days.
    Temperature rising and falling several times during a day. Never more than 38 C.
    Mild chest constriction.
    Increased heart rate. Feeling fatigue just by climbing the stairs.
    Dizziness. Just a couple of days.
    Night sweats. Neck.
    Mild case of diarrhea.

So, I'm usually working out 4-5 days a week. For a period of 5 weeks I didn't even entertain the idea of working out. Just short walks.

I'm not saying that this is covid19 but I've never been like this before. I've had the flu twice before. Otherwise I'm rarely sick. Exception being the startup for my daughter in kindergarten some 10 years ago.

Dunno what to vote but 'I know this guy' who lost sense of both smell and taste so that's what I choose.

I'll ask for an antibody test next visit to the doctor.

I'm fit as a fiddle now.

Cheers!

hobbsyoyo, The_J and Birdjaguar like this.
  18. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Yes, my aunt and some other relatives on my mother's side (they're Haredim in Borough Park). One had to go on a ventilator. My ninety-year-old grandmother could have easily caught it because of her need for an assistant, but thank God she never did.

Is Bill de Blasio at least going to get voted out? I would support some kind of jail term.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 9:16 AM
  19. Squonk

Squonk Deity

Apparently the step-father of my friend died because of corona :(
    Apart from this, I know no-one.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  20. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

*Warning ! Sarcasm included. Parental discretion is advised ! *

Apparently Covid is not real , just like the global warming. All of the countries cooperate on the verge of fossil fuels fail to brand us with the end-days "number of the beast", the comet is approaching the Earth, Vril forces are unleashed (it's what makes insects levitate and UFO's fly). The Majestic 12 is out to get us all. Skull and Bones, as well as Free Masons are aligned in a goal to enslave us all. The end is nigh, apocalypse is here, and if my calculations are correct this is the year 2012 . Rothschilds are planning yet another war to enrich themselves and also cake is a lie ....

Josu likes this.