Kony 2012

It's one end religion is being used.

Still doesn't mean jack. He could have used literally anything to justify his actions, but since his actions aren't condoned by the faith/creed/ideology/whatever he preaches, they can't be used against that faith/creed/ideology/whatever.

You recognize the fact that it's a front, and he could have used anything in place of religion, so I don't see why you're still using it as an anti-religious argument.

Still doesn't mean jack. He could have used literally anything to justify his actions, but since his actions aren't condoned by the faith/creed/ideology/whatever he preaches, they can't be used against that faith/creed/ideology/whatever.

You recognize the fact that it's a front, and he could have used anything in place of religion, so I don't see why you're still using it as an anti-religious argument.

The fact that he's using it, though, suggests something.

If he said that Ronald McDonald told him to do this, instead of spirits, or whatever, I would still think less of McDonald's.

Using religion as a justification is apparently effective.

Agreed. It says a lot about the people who follow in the logic he's abusing.

I wouldn't doubt if the actual number of genuine supporters is rather low. Brainwashing and torturing children to follow you is another story though. There's probably at least a thousand of kids that are now grown up that would willingly throw themselves in front of a bullet for Kony, and that's... that's sickening. That's almost Hitler Youth right there.

It should also be noted that the Ugandan GOVERNMENT (i.e. not the LRA) doesn't hold a stellar human rights record. This is a government that outlaws homosexuality... and is seeking to make it a capital offence (as if 14 years isn't bad enough already).

Government also impinges on the freedom of press. Ugandan security forces have been accused a number of times of torture and illegal detention. This is not a civilised Western government that we are supporting... its human rights record is one of the worst on the planet.

I'm not saying that Kony isn't bad and that he shouldn't be bought to justice, I'm just saying that the Ugandan government and security forces are hardly saintly themselves, and its something to be wary of.

This is the first time I've recalled seeing a post by classical_hero with which I throughoutly agree.

America (or the west in general) are not the worlds police. How easy people are led, the call to war dressed up as fad activism.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15645354
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/w...mes-oil-but-fears-graft-it-attracts.html?_r=1
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16872987
http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

With the money they have they could hire mercenaries to kill him.

EDIT: huh that nytimes linked worked a minute ago.

America (or the west in general) are not the worlds police. How easy people are led, the call to war dressed up as fad activism.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/w...mes-oil-but-fears-graft-it-attracts.html?_r=1
http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/

First three links have absolutely nothing to do with this current topic.

Last link is so blatantly one-sided that I only read three quarters of it. "LRA isn't in Uganda anymore, THEY'RE STOOPID"

Anyone with a shred of perception would realize that the IC clearly says that this isn't the only problem, but that they need somewhere to start. Perhaps Kony is some starving feeble man now, but that does not change the atrocities he committed and the fact that he is still #1 at the ICC. With the money donated to the IC, they've built schools, radio towers for early alerts, and foundation structures, they aren't just funding their own personal goal of "lolstickerseverywhere". They are using internet activism to achieve their goal in a worthwhile manner, which frankly, is well overdue. The internet is an incredibly powerful tool, and with a well thought out video that is neither too long or too packed with information, even the trolls or drones of today's society take the time to listen and get behind it to a certain extent.

It's quite possible that most people who watched the video merely donate 15 dollars, get the action kit, put a few stickers everywhere, and then never think about it again, but they still made the contribution. They still gave the idea some exposure, and that is what matters. It's so very incredibly dumb to say that there are bigger problems in Uganda now and therefore their current goal is void. The man in the video promised a Ugandan boy that he would do everything in his power to stop Joseph Kony and to stop things like this from happening, and he is sticking to his promise, albeit 8 years later because the government only listens to numbers and not reason.

I don't see the problem with IC.

Gosh, well you certainly bought into it all lock, stock and barrel!
Have you ordered your wrist band?
Have you done anything about this you seem to so vehemently defend?
The three links are very valid because it shows there is money in Uganda.

The dude leads a thing called the Lord's Resistance Army.

That quote proves it is not from God, since God does not use spirits to communicate with us, since we have direct communication with God and through the Bible. He is a nutter.

Gosh, well you certainly bought into it all lock, stock and barrel!
Have you ordered your wrist band?
Have you done anything about this you seem to so vehemently defend?
The three links are very valid because it shows there is money in Uganda.

No. I do not have money, nor would I spend money to get a wrist band.

Not yet. But as a person that feels rather hopeless about this world and its future, I fully support movements that make a genuine effort to improve it one step at a time, and hope I can contribute to it in the future (even if it's not to IC).

It is illogical to assume that all of Uganda is dancing around a fire with their arms locked in rhythm about this issue. It was never claimed, and it's a rather void argument. IC is working with sectors of Ugandan government and population that support their agenda and are willing to improve the situation. The politics are much more complicated and volatile in a place like Uganda than say, America. The government is corrupt, and there are a lot of other dangerous problems in the area, but that means nothing to the current movement. They are working to dismantle the LRA and to arrest Joseph Kony. That is their current goal. It is not their only goal. It would not be surprising that after they succeed (if they do), they would move onto #2, and so forth. They are no less genuine of a movement and charity as the next.

First three links have absolutely nothing to do with this current topic.

Last link is so blatantly one-sided that I only read three quarters of it. "LRA isn't in Uganda anymore, THEY'RE STOOPID"

Anyone with a shred of perception would realize that the IC clearly says that this isn't the only problem, but that they need somewhere to start. Perhaps Kony is some starving feeble man now, but that does not change the atrocities he committed and the fact that he is still #1 at the ICC. With the money donated to the IC, they've built schools, radio towers for early alerts, and foundation structures, they aren't just funding their own personal goal of "lolstickerseverywhere". They are using internet activism to achieve their goal in a worthwhile manner, which frankly, is well overdue. The internet is an incredibly powerful tool, and with a well thought out video that is neither too long or too packed with information, even the trolls or drones of today's society take the time to listen and get behind it to a certain extent.

It's quite possible that most people who watched the video merely donate 15 dollars, get the action kit, put a few stickers everywhere, and then never think about it again, but they still made the contribution. They still gave the idea some exposure, and that is what matters. It's so very incredibly dumb to say that there are bigger problems in Uganda now and therefore their current goal is void. The man in the video promised a Ugandan boy that he would do everything in his power to stop Joseph Kony and to stop things like this from happening, and he is sticking to his promise, albeit 8 years later because the government only listens to numbers and not reason.

I don't see the problem with IC.

How does he propose we stop Joseph Kony? I can only imagine it being some kind of military venture. I am sick and tired of the drum beat to war, Libya, Syria, Iran and now Uganda. Iraq and Afghanistan were a disaster (I know in Uganda it's stamping out opposition rather then regime change).
It seems to convenient, video too click, like our governments want popular support for military intervention so they can garner favour with Uganda and combat China's growing influence

Seems like a pretty good idea to look the bugger up. Don't really hold with executing people when you don't have to, but I can't say that I'd shed a tear if he went a-danglin'.

He is the leader of the LRA basically an army in Uganda that uses children to fight the government based on his sick an twisted ideology.
Ah, so he's kind of like Lloyd George, then?

How does he propose we stop Joseph Kony? I can only imagine it being some kind of military venture. I am sick and tired of the drum beat to war, Libya, Syria, Iran and now Uganda. Iraq and Afghanistan were a disaster (I know in Uganda it's stamping out opposition rather then regime change).
It seems to convenient, video too click, like our governments want popular support for military intervention so they can garner favour with Uganda and combat China's growing influence

Did you... watch the video? I'm not sure you did. :confused:

They have no intention of hunting him down, carving a path of death in the process. They want to educate and train a task force in the Ugandan army (and presumably eventually in the Congo and CAR) that can track him down and capture him, preferably with least amount of casualties and murder. Obviously death will happen, but their intention isn't to just wipe them out. :confused:

I just heard a story on NPR today about how an internet campaign to increase awareness on this subject was finding great success. Great job everyone!

Alot of angst and not much substance emu.

The Lord's Liberation Army is a terrorist outfit. They are one of the most clear cases of cut and dry evil in the world. They are not a sovereign nation and their removal creates no real power vacuum.

This Kony 2012 movement is a little slow on the uptake, but their job is to shed light on the realities of the LRA. At the very least, they'll shore up support for the minimal stuff that's already been done (Obama's 100 advisors, some funding to the DRC/Uganda/etc)

Top Bottom