1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Kony 2012

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Vincour, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Narz

Narz keeping it real

:lol:

2. Arwon

Arwon Show me your moves

I don't think they're a fraud, I think they're misguided and wasteful, and their video is manipulative and misleading. We have similar "media focused" NGOs in Australia and I am cynical of them, too. Never heard the outright "business not a charity" thing though. Guess it explains the bracelets and "action kits".

Is the suggestion here that any of the high profile reputable charities do not have travel expenses, insurance or full-time staff? Is Medecins Sans Frontiers or Caritas or OxFam run out of some dude's garage? The expense structure looks fairly typical for an NGO, but I don't know how spending over half of the program money on making a misleading movie is a good idea.

And yes, while the LRA is terrible and it'd be great to see Kony in the ICC dock (no-one is on the other side of this issue), I don't buy for a second that this would particularly aid Central African development or improve governance in the region, and I don't see how enraging a bunch of Americans with a misleading picture of a complex and multisided conflict is going to help anything.

3. Vincour

Vincour Moderator Moderator

Wasteful in the pure charitable sense perhaps. I don't think they ever sold themselves as a pure charity though, did they? I will admit that I did not know of this organization, or Kony, until 2 days ago. I did the responsible thing and investigated, like so many did, but I seem to have gotten to a different conclusion than most.

Removing the LRA would be a good step towards helping central Africa, and also knocking out #1 on the ICC list at the same time seems like a good deal. The only thing I can really complain about with this movement is that they're willing to accept help from just about anyone and that it requires so much money, but alas, that is the modern world, where money is thrown around even if you're doing something right.

@your edit: No. Every charity has expenses. However they have a pretty stable process of what they do, while Invisible Children works in a much more volatile manner. They could of course better optimize their spending but note that this is a rather young organization and, from what I can tell, is managed by trusted people rather than the best professionals you can get. If they were blatantly having money disappear into thin air from their records I would be worried, but they are straight forward in where the money goes and what they do with it.

4. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

Man, I really feel like arguing with my friends on Facebook today. I swear you could tell them that George Bush is murdering babies and they would all be in some protest-like/group thing in a heartbeat without even thinking.

5. Arwon

Arwon Show me your moves

So if you're not helping anyone, you're misinforming people, and you're making money off of selling stuff in the process, it's okay because you mean well? Forgive me if it looks like the entire enterprise is about making films to upset people at get them to buy bracelets so they can "save Africa".

And Synsensa, when I say their expense structure is pretty typical, I mean it. "Program expenses" being about 80% or more. But the problem is half those program expense in the case of IC are making movies and selling awareness trinkets to slacktivists.

Edit: I suppose if it snaps some teenagers out of their cluelessness and gets them started on a more general path of understanding and caring about stuff, then it's probably a net good.

6. Narz

Narz keeping it real

:D I'm kind of a slacktivist myself. :blush:

7. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Chieftain

Point in case

8. Arwon

Arwon Show me your moves

Holy crap. Given that Invisible Children mostly aim their awareness campaigns and charity work at US kids (Schools for Schools) doesn't that mean they are metaphorically raising a metaphorical army of children to metaphorically fight Kony?

9. IdiotsOpposite

IdiotsOpposite Boom, headshot.

Well, you know what they say. Fight children with children!

10. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

Say what you want about this Kony guy but I thought he was great in Predator. That bit where he got his arm blown off but he's still firing the gun... brutal!!

Also everything Arwon said is correct and basically what I came here to say. There's absolutely no doubt that Kony is an evil man - we've known that for years. He's been put on every international most wanted list, terrorist watchlist, and "this man is evil" list for a decade, and he's been on the run for 6 years now. But giving all your money to such a questionable charity is kind of.... dumb....

11. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

From what I've heard, invisible children is pretty pro-military-intervention-in-Uganda.

So screw them on that.

And I see it's already been mentioned, oops.

12. keli

keli Chieftain

http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/c...gn_that_aims_to_make_joseph/c3yi7d1?context=3

http://blog.joerenken.com/2012/03/07/invisible-children-and-kony-2012-exposed/

Youtube: This video is most popular with:
    Gender Age
    Female 13-17
    Male 18-24
    Male 13-17

I'm happy I didn't make a fast judgment on it. This viral campaign again proves how easily the media can fool people.

Plus I would like to add this Kony campaign bleeds of hypocrisy, all of a sudden everyone is concerned about a country they don't know where is, nor they know anything about it just because it gives them a feeling they at least did something good in their life. Poor naive souls.

13. General Pilates

General Pilates Chieftain

Invisible Children's goal is to fight fire with fire, or in this case, fight horrible rapists with slightly less horrible rapists(The Ugandan army) and then see if the West doesn't notice what happens afterwards.

14. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

Angst? You make it sound like i'm slitting my wrists and writing poetry in my own blood.
    Anyway other links I wanted to post have been put up, but it's nice that others see through it.

15. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

At least they're backing the lesser of two evils, which makes a change.

16. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

His ability to get out the youth vote is unparalleled.

17. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

:lol:

Anyway, this is a usage of herd mentality to achieve the objective. Invisible Children definitely has a good goal. My problem is the herd mentality with which people just jump on the bandwagon after watching a 30 minute video.

18. downtown

downtown Crafternoon Delight

19. NedimNapoleon

NedimNapoleon Weird Little Human

Even if he's the leader, wouldn't taking him out just make a path for a new nut to take power like we've seen many times in Africa.

20. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Kony isn't "the leader" of any institution people are worried about destabilizing. He's the commander of a guerrilla force operating in Central Africa, with the nominal goal of taking control of Uganda.

The world would unequivocally be better off if the LRA was brought to heel, but that's a slightly different goal (and a much harder one) than putting Kony on trial or in the ground.