[R&F] Korea first look.

Still no production queue?
There won't ever be a Production Queue (without Mods) IMO, it's a design philosophy from the developers as well as being awkward with the District system.

Glad to see Korea, but definitely, Korea is not a strong civilization, this leaves me a little disinterested in playing with them.

What is the Koreans feeling about Seondeok? I see some people complaining on Youtube, they preferred Sejong.

Like the unique district and the fact that this Korea can be somewhat cultured as well. It seems that the Hwacha will be purely defensive anyway so it would be best to leave them garrisoned in cities.

1:00 we can see the capital building the new governement district?

The unique district is a very interesting idea that will encourage unorthodox city setup with its anti-adjacency bonus. It also seems very (possibly too) strong if the values shown in the video are unchanged. The civ ability also synergizes well with it, in a different way than most other districts synergize with infrastructure. This will really be the focal point of city planning when playing as Korea.

The leader ability, on the other hand, seems very bland and underwhelming. It interacts with new systems, but only in a superficial way, and the bonus is to too incremental to ever be excited about. This would be a much more interesting ability if it actually interacted with some aspect of the governor system instead of simply checking for presence-absence.

Beyond the civ itself, the city info bars are starting to look very crowded. I'm not sure why the growth counter needed to be changed (assuming that's what the white circle is), and I don't think showing positive/negative loyalty (and religious pressure) without actual numbers will be particularly helpful. I'd save it for a specialized map layer and/or the city screen and bring up a notification when it reaches a dangerous level (the way amenities/housing currently work). And while I don't know exactly how governors will work or what the best way of representing them will be, I'm really skeptical that a character sketch matching the city's production indicator, is the clearest or most elegant option.

Also, I note on YouTube there is already whining about why Seondeok was chosen instead of Sejong....my fellow Korean-blooded compatriots can be quite narrow-minded sometimes, you'll have to forgive them. :rolleyes:
You're korean ??? I actually would have never guessed it :p

About Korea, I really like it : a tall defensive and scientific civ ! (Also, about those complaining about the colors : remember that colors schèmes have been changed a lot of times between the FL videos and the actual release).

I hope that unique district doesn't count as one of our two new districts. Not that I have anything against UDs, I just don't find variations of existing things as exciting as entirely new things.

Production queue doesn't work great with districts system. Implementing it could be really confusing for more casual gamers.
And fans are expected to use mods anyway.

A. You're defending the exclusion of a basic QOL feature. Your defense of this is that customers should take care of it on their end. The customers shouldn't be called upon to cover the developers' shortcomings.
B. You mention casual gamers. I'm willing to bet most casual gamers don't even consider looking for mods for this game.

1:00 we can see the capital building the new governement district?

I don't see any capital at 1:00?

(note that Seoul is not the capital)

It's great that the First Look video came seven hours earlier than usual. I was expecting it to show up at 10AM EST.
Given it was Korea it made sense to release it when Koreans were awake!!

Nice to see Seondeok confirmed. It looks like the Seowon will be a strong early science producer, and you want it down as your first district so you can get the advantage early. While to maximise its bonus you need to have it away from your urban core, remember that mines will effectively counteract the adjacency penalty. It will create some different city-planning decisions to everyone else's campuses.

I'm slightly disappointed they went for the Hwacha over the Geobukseon. I've been a fan of Turtle Ship battles since Age of Empires 2 days :lol:. I suppose we'll still have Yi Sun Sin and his absurd early Ironclads.

I wonder if it a leader based unit or civilization. If it is leader, there is always room for a turtleship with King Sejong second leader... and there is a case for two UUs for example, in Norway.

Her agenda must be something like: Likes civs with lots of governors or highly promoted governors.

I've always liked science oriented civs in the past, so I should like this one... But I agree with Victoria, i'm very meh about the 5%...

I find it special that there is 2 identical icon on the top right (the city state icon)... I can only surmise that this will be for a governors or loyalty menu, and hope that using an existing icon is just
because they haven't got around to creating the new one yet, and not a sign of utter laziness...

I don't think this will be an OP civ, but I like it's uniqueness... I like city micro management ;-)

The Hwacha screams defensive unit to me? Not being able to move and shoot + higher combat strength makes it an excellent garrison unit although you should have control over your section of the map by the Renaissance era.

I think that's by design. The intended playstyle in 5 was to turtle up and rush a science victory. In practice science leads were good for every victory condition, but both their land and naval UUs were defensive in nature so you could keep hostile forces at bay while you rushed through the tech tree.

I do like the look of Seondeok (animated leader), but the Korean colors are unfortunately not at all what one expects from Korea--it's a shame the colors got hijacked by other civs, because now Korea is....a sickly purple?!

I wouldn't be upset if they shuffled Civ colors around in the expansion. Giving Korea Norway's blue and red, Norway Indonesia's red and blue, and Indonesia something else (gold and teal?) would satisfy me. Oh, and chance Macedon from grey and yellow (yuck) to white and light blue.

Beyond the civ itself, the city info bars are starting to look very crowded. I'm not sure why the growth counter needed to be changed (assuming that's what the white circle is), and I don't think showing positive/negative loyalty (and religious pressure) without actual numbers will be particularly helpful. I'd save it for a specialized map layer and/or the city screen and bring up a notification when it reaches a dangerous level (the way amenities/housing currently work). And while I don't know exactly how governors will work or what the best way of representing them will be, I'm really skeptical that a character sketch matching the city's production indicator, is the clearest or most elegant option.

I'm inclined to agree.

You're korean ??? I actually would have never guessed it :p

About Korea, I really like it : a tall defensive and scientific civ ! (Also, about those complaining about the colors : remember that colors schèmes have been changed a lot of times between the FL videos and the actual release).

Morning Calm is a bit of a hint :)

Top Bottom