Korea

Basarin

Chieftain
The Beginning

Where it all began.

The civilization that modern-day knows as Korea was born at roughly the same time period of other civilizations, circa 4000 B.C. After years of simply wandering, though it is difficult to determine when exactly the final settlement was founded, the nomadic Gojoseon (Or Old Joseon) founded the small village that was dubbed Seoul. It would become the seat of power for this country for centuries to come.

Its location was advantageous, though until the city further developed this was not fully realized. Nestled on a narrow peninsula, Seoul was an ideal sea port and canal, allowing sea travel to occur unimpeded without having to travel along the southern tip of the Korean peninsula (though this would still happen anyways in the future, but it made Seoul ideal as a sea port). Seoul was also nestled next to an ample supply of wheat (which still continues to feed the inhabitants of Seoul today), and to the north was an ample supply of stone, indicating a possible area of expansion for the budding country.

Alright, this is my second (and hopefully more consistent) attempt to start up an AAR. This is simply a placeholder until I can actually start cranking out something more. Stay tuned please!

Oh, korea!
That should be interesting.
May I ask you a very newbie question? what does AAR stands for?

Nah, fair enough. AAR stands for After Action Report. Just shows you that I've been reading the Paradox forums (Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, etc) too long. >_> More'll be posted later today. I hope.

Ignore my Japan comment in your other thread and looking forward to seeing how this one goes! Also, you use the P-Dox forums regularly? Same here, big AAR reader so I'm used to it too. ;)

Achievements of the Gojoseon (excerpt from "Histories of the World," Korea, University of Seoul).

A defining characteristic of Korean culture is born.

Though it is hard to visualize just how the scene played out (though no one can blame the playwrights and romanticists of the Renaissance era for lack of trying; in fact, one can blame them on charges of doing just the opposite and lavish use of artistic license), it was in the center of Seoul that a robed man from a far away land serenely rested underneath one of the many trees yet to be cleared away. Curious, the townsfolk surrounded the tree, one brave soul venturing forth to ask the man why he sat there so. He responded, quite mysteriously at the time, that he had discovered the "Four Noble Truths." While there are plenty other texts far more suitable for this discussion, the man all now know as the "Buddha," began his message in Seoul. Though it would be many, many years before his message spread past the city borders, this religion melded smoothly with Korean culture and contributed much during those early years.

Technological Advancements

By now, a few outlying tribes, after having been contacted by scouting warriors mapping the surrounding lands, soon made the journey to join the growing city, each bringing their skills and some useful information which were added to the crude maps of the day. Of more interest, however, is one tribe's maps extending across the sea. An island, from all intents and purposes ripe for expansion, would later be considered for settlement. For now, though, the priority was the mainland.

However, the most significant contribution came from a tribe in the northern jungles. Despite an absolute lack of copper deposits anywhere, the tribe had developed the knowledge of how to craft bronze. It would be some time before the knowledge could be utilized to its true potential; however, the immediate use allowed Korean peasants to clear forests for living space, mines, and farmland. Others contributed the ability to craft basic structures from stone, fueling a building spree on part of the Koreans living in Seoul and the newly founded Pyongyang and Wonsan. Finally, knowledge of how to domesticate animals for food purposes came about. Combined together, this allowed the fledgling Koreans a small but essential tidbits of knowledge needed to survive.

Great Wonders

Some crowning achievements in this era were Stonehenge and the Great Wall. No one is still quite sure what drove the constructors to create such a relic (and this was many years before the advent of writing or recognizable art), but there it stands on the shores of Seoul. The Great Wall, however, is more suitably documented for its purpose. Quite simply, in order to protect the new cities now forming, a massive wall from the coast of Wonsan to the hills of Pyongyang was constructed from the stone quarry of Wonsan. After the construction of the Wall, no barbarian marauders would ever breach Korean borders ever again.

Stonehenge. We still do not know what it was meant for, and the dead constructors are naturally silent on the matter.

The Great Wall protecting the borders of Gojeoson Korea. Like Stonehenge, it still stands today and is a modern tourist attraction.

And there we go. Keep the comments coming!

And in response to Ksim: I was actually thinking about the Japanese, but I decided I didn't like the Imperialistic stat on Tokugawa so much. If I wanted 100% Great General increase, I'd build the Great Wall; does the same thing and you get an awesome looking landmark.

Alright, I'm passing out now.

I always go for the great walls.
Not having to worry with barbarians is always a confort.
Now, it must be one of the great historical misteries of your world, how a small tribal society with little relevance in the middle of a jungle developed bronze working. I bet many books have been written, from theories of ancient and lost civilizations to alien landings.

Kimori: Or even worse: that some random twist of fate decided by the algorithms of certain numbers deciding to give me a helping hand! Scary, I tell you. I'm convinced that at one point, I'll find a tribe somewhere out there who will teach me quantum physics...

TheAmerican: Glad to hear you're enjoying this! Keep the flow of input coming this way!

Okay, going to try a little bit of narrative and history book mixed together. Please bear with me, I'm not very good at either yet, I think.

North of Ulsan along the jewelry mines.

"What ARE they doing?" the guard grumbled. His complaints were immediately silenced by a silent glare from the commanding officer walking at a brisk pace past him, but he received no further reprimands.

General Yoon Gwan grumbled himself as he entered one of the many command pylons located in intervals along the Great Wall, nodding curtly to the guards flanking the entrance as they stood at attention and clasped their left fist to their chests in salute. Though he already had a good idea of what the previous guard was complaining about, protocol dictated that he arrive at the command post to be briefed about it all.

As soon as he entered the command post, he was greeted by his second in command, Commander Choi. Not particularly suited for the life of a soldier at first glance, Choi remained at his job because of all the commanders under his command of his part of the Wall (namely, the Wonsan border garrisons), he understood better than most the terrain of the surrounding lands and what paths the enemy, whoever they'd be, were likely to take once he knew what forces they brought to bear.

Without preamble, Choi simply said in a deadpan voice as he waved vaguely at the large map pinned to the wall, "The Aztecs are waving their swords at us again."

"Oh, Buddha help us, why this time?" The question was purely rhetorical, both men understood that. Nevertheless, Choi played along, responding,

"Because 'esteemed Montezuma, ruler of our Aztec Buddhist brothers,' is oh so politely requesting that Representative Wang Kon supply him with...oh, who are we kidding, sir? He's trying to extort us, and we just said no." Choi traced a finger along the recognized border between the Aztecs and the Koreans, which happened to be right along two jewel deposits, and for the time being the two were of an understanding that each had half of the share, and no more than that. The guards had dubbed the border "The Ruby Line" for the red glint of jewels that were carted back and dispersed among both empires.

"Some follower of the faith." Gwan rubbed his eyes as he removed his helmet, reaching for a shotglass to fill with soju (rice wine). "Well, orders remain the same; patrol the Ruby Line and ESPECIALLY the woods past the Han river." He downed his shotglass swiftly before asking, "Any word on those new weapons yet?"

Choi grinned for the first time that day. "I was hoping you'd ask, sir." He reached behind the table and pulled out a long, straight scabbard, with the hilt embroidered with elegant renditions of revered animals. One such animal prominently displayed on the hilt was the Ox, the sign under the emerging lunar calendar Gwan had been born under. "The metal smiths over at Cheju finally got off their asses and are shipping all the weapons we need. Give it a few years and we'll have a garrison to give Montezuma up there something to think more about. And this one's yours, sir."

"A hwandudaedo!" Gwan eagerly took the sword in his hands, and drawing it from its sheath, began admiring it in the setting sun's light.

"...and I believe I'll just start ordering the quartermasters to begin issuing the men more than just clubs. By your approval, general?" Gwan just vaguely nodded as he began to take practice swings with his new toy, Choi just chuckling as he left the command post.

More power to Gwan, he thought, at the rate we're going with the Aztecs, we may need it.

Who WAS this masked man...? A great contributor to Korean security.

"...the commander will be busy now that he has a proper weapon," Choi mutters to the guard as he passes by, waving his hand to him to show he should come along.

The guard nodded and matches Choi's step as he sets down the stairs with the commander. "And are the preparations in place?"

"Of course." Both are talking in low enough tones to not be heard, but if anyone was really listening in (which at their location, no one would or could), the guard seemed to be the one more in control than anything. "Two out of every five guards are with us, we have informants across the river in the Aztec garrisons, and we've enough people in the chain of command to inform Seoul when we need to."

"Good work." The guard began to split off. "Do consider a full-time job with us when your tenure here is over...we could use a coordinator like you." With that, the guard simply split off into the shadows and vanished. Choi took this in stride and simply walked on, now more than used to the enigmatic ways of Viktor Griph. That was simply his way.

Despite how unnerving it could get working with him, he would actually sleep much more soundly that night.

On Intelligence, excerpt from "Interesting Tidbits of History."

Nestled deep inside the Pyramids of Wonsan, the headquarters of the Kurimja, or "the Shadow," was founded by Viktor Griph, first among many intelligent men of Korea's security. The Pyramids were originally meant to act as a graveyard for distinguished men who greatly contributed to Korea's present and future; to be buried there, along with a full Buddhist funeral and burial, was considered one of the highest honors anyone could receive.

The Pyramids, sacred burial ground of Korea, and something more...

Due to its very structure, however, the Pyramids housed many nooks and crannies long forgotten by their own architects, making it perfect as a command nexus for intelligence work.

Convincing Wang Kon, the seemingly ageless ruler of Korea, of the need for keeping an eye within their borders and past them, Viktor Griph formed the Kurimja in the Pyramids, where members swore an oath to Buddha and their own ancestors that they would defend Korea from enemies "within and without," and to help the army as much as possible. Though the Kurimja no longer exist in their original form, traces of them are still very well with us in modern times in the form of the intelligence agencies...

Alright, that's it from me for now. Before I go, though, here's a full map of Korea right now.

Six cities and counting! I've got more land to exploit over on that other landmass where Cheju is!

Very nice story and I like how you now have got onto actually creating characters. Say, how did you get your 'Great Spy' so early? Something I have not been able to achieve as of yet.....

However, I did find it funny how you based the "Kurimja" in the Pyramids. Haha, basing it off the belief of the secret organisation they talk of called "The Illuminati" being based in the Pyramids. Quite an interesting twist to the story.....

Anyway, keep up the updates! And the more you write, the more people pester ye for an update on here, from what I have noticed, like with Sistuli's Princes of the Universe.

Different from Paradox, I know where most people watch on after a post or two. Thought I'd just mention that.

Keep it coming. :goodjob:

Waffle: I'm running on a Standard Terra, with default climate and sea level. On a political geographic note, my only source of ancient weaponry is ONE source of Iron on Cheju, which is on the island chains south of Seoul. It was a real pain until I got it, because I DO have Montezuma up north.

Ksim: Thanks! Though don't get too attached to these characters, since a lot's happened without any major groundbreaking events concerning Korea in the international arena.

More will come tomorrow. Hopefully I can make it interesting.

The Pyramids, Wonsan

Seven hundred years, the clothed man in black mused to himself in the deepest section of the Pyramids "seldom used" by the revered Buddhist monks. Seven hundred and here we still are. Out of sight...and present memory. Flanking the man were two men similarly dressed with slightly different trappings than the one in the center, all with their heads slightly bowed in deep respect for the man.

The man was, of course, none other than the Yonghon, or the "Soul," of the Kurimja. It is unclear how one is chosen to become the very nervecenter of the Kurimja, even to those who are chosen, but suffice to say only the most worthy were even chosen for such an honor. Surrounding him was his "staff," namely the Mahl (or Mind, in charge of organization), and the Pahl (or the Arm, charged with espionage and counter espionage). Through them, the Yonghan decided how best Korea would be defended from "cloak and dagger," and with enough precedents through the 700 years since the revered Viktor Griph had, with Wang Kon's subtle blessing, established the Kurimja, the men in shadows have had plenty of practice keeping watch within and without.

Such was the reason the three were even within eye shot of each other. "The Aztecs have been trying to cause trouble yet again," the Pahl muttered in a low voice, his irritation only slightly masked. "We caught more of their clumsy agents attempting to poison the water well of Pusan again."

"And our infiltrators in the court of Montezuma?" the Yonghon asked in a quiet voice.

"Still very much unnoticed. The Mahl and his have been most helpful in making sure the information gets to where it must to reach us." The man nodded to the other in question, who simply nodded back; the Mahl typically never spoke, either from tradition, habit, or a very long line of coincidental mutes taking up the position. "And as far as Montezuma...well, we need not our analysts to tell us just how insignificant the Aztecs are, despite how much of a threat they were a few centuries ago." In comparison, the Arm tended to talk at much length, being the most active of the three. "Their army is many, but if they attack...well, their border cities will be subject to very unpleasant surprises."

The Yonghon nodded in approval. "Good." He paused for a moment. "And if our revered sovereign chooses to make his own offensive?

"There have been enough grumblings amongst the common man. And we have enough practiced demagogues to whip up the people into enough of a frenzy to split the Aztec army's attention." The Pahl crossed his, well, arms as he spoke. "We can only provide them with so much of a timeframe, though. The rest will be up to the generals."

"Whom we have enough of an eye upon anyways," the Yonghon finished. "The Aztecs have enough squabbles with the Ethiopians anyways, so there will be plenty of opportunities to cause our own mischief. See that it becomes so."

"And the Greeks and the Spaniards?" The Pahl prompted.

"Out of sight, and present memory," the response came. "Do nothing, but watch."

"As the Yonghon of us all wills it."

On Foreign Policy.

In all honesty, the foreign name of "The Hermit Kingdom" bestowed upon the Koreans is a justified one. While the Koreans actively engaged in trade with their neighbors, they actively refused to participate in any of the frequent wars that plagued Korea's neighbors. One frequent antagonizer was, to no one's great surprise, Montezuma of the Aztecs. Though he took actively to the tenets of Buddhism, the means of which he integrated the Buddha's teachings with the traditional sacrificial rituals that defined his country so shocked the Koreans to the core. Any attempts afterward this discovery on part of the Aztecs to open up a dialog between itself and its neighbor were coldly refused. And until Wang Kon was able to secure Cheju Island, the kingdom's sole source of iron weaponry, Montezuma even went so far as to make ludicrous demands of Korea to aid its wars against other neighbors as well as demanding tribute of resources, such as cartloads of sacked rice or the finest horses Seoul's stables could muster. Naturally, these were refused, and Korean military buildup along both the traditional Great Wall boundary between the two countries and new cities inland such as Pusan easily dissuaded Montezuma of any potential military adventures.

Advances in both practical and military applications on part of Korean scientists ensured that Montezuma's military advisers did their best to not plunge into a war with Korea...

Pericles of the Greeks, while an ardent Hindu, nevertheless found much to like about the Koreans and became one of Korea's closer trading partners, with the ports of Wonsan and Seoul receiving many Greek merchants hoping to gain a foothold in the Hermit Kingdom, with Korean merchants packing crates and sacks of silk, dyes, and abundant sugars to Athens in response. Scientists between the two were often known to swap notes with one another as well, though these were few and far between.

Other nations included the Spaniards, the Celts, the Ethiopians, and the Persians, though little up towards AD 1445 was known about them. However, the Kurimja kept tabs on their closest border cities, but only to ensure that they were not a nearby threat to Korean security.

Okay, I'll update yet again later. But I have a question for all you readers out there. Who IS Viktor Griph? I've tried searching for info on him all over, but I've come up with nothing...

Good update! Certainly leading to an interesting premise, especially with the Kurimja. I take it they would not hesitate to act against their own people if need be?

Anyway, looked up for "Viktor" and can't seem to find him although the name reminds of a spy in World War II. German or Soviet Union, perhaps Allies?

Thanks! *was reading the Paradox AAR in HoI2 "For King and Country" and had the urge to update* Though as far as WWII goes, I'm not sure. I know there were British spies like TRICYCLE and INTREPID, as well as the immortal "C" of MI6, but Griph? I've got no clue...

ADDED NOTE: And possibly, but only if it served to secure Korea's long-term security in exchange for some short-term (relatively) chaos. After all, each member of the Kurimja swear an eternal oath to serve Korea first and foremost, even if they have to incur some collateral damage to do so.

I'm quite enjoying the tale. Loved the Kurimja's headquarters and it's role in the conflicts with montezuma. I had an early Great Spy in my game too, but my plans for him in the Tales of the Tupi Nations are not so great (if there is any at all). Anyway, keep it comming.

Oh, and one last thing... is the language accurate? Words you use are korean? like Kurimja and such...

Komori: Thanks for tagging along for the ride. And regarding your question on the Korean names, they're about as close as I can get. I'm using "zKorean" as a dictionary for the right words, but trying to decide how best to type out a Korean word in english is kind of tough. These are the closest I can get.

Pyongyang, Korean Empire. A.D. 1430.

"They're at it again," the Jewish priest groaned again, illiciting a chorus of similar signs of dismay from his colleagues.

"Buddha preserve us, will they not cease?" one of his colleagues, a Buddhist scholar, shook his head.

"Blessed by Athena, those two are not," the Greek Hindu across the table grumbled.

This trio of unlikely scholarly friends simply looked across the hall at the two scientists nearly coming to blows with one another. The matter in question was an economic debate, with one arguing that as long as there was little to no restrictions the markets could bring in limitless wealth, his colleague had accused him of false complacency, arguing in turn that ALL wealth was limited in the world, and only by hoarding it and gaining more at others' expense could the economy flourish. Needless to say, the two had been yelling at each other with monetary nonsensical terms, serving only to have security arrive to (as usual) boot them into an isolated room so that they might argue while leaving everyone else in peace.

It also might seem odd to some that members of opposite faiths, in an era of state-sponsored religion, let alone priests, were able to simply sit down with one another and enjoy each others' company while respecting the others' faith. Simply put, for Korea this was no longer an issue. In 1305, Wang Kon had decreed that while Korea would no longer exclusively prop up Buddhism as a faith, all people of all faiths were free to worship their deities within his borders. It was unprecedented, and caused many leaders and foreign dignitaries to raise some eyebrows, but combined with a standing order of non-discrimination against faiths and Korea's standing as a trade nation (which was only reinforced with a newly discovered source of silver in an existing mine near Nam'po (the dual source of sugar and dye in Korea)), it proved to be beneficial both for the new immigrants and merchants of differing faiths and Korea as a whole, for it was now truly an international hub.

An inspiration for freedom of religion for all? It's still debatable.

The location of the (heated) debate, Korea's current center of learning.

"So tell us, Kyung," the Jewish priest asked. "What's this idea of yours, anyways? You've been hoarding your notes on the matter like your life depends on it anyways."

"Well...I don't know," the Buddhist scholar said nervously, looking down at his notes. "I'm not sure if it'll pan out or-"

"Oh for Hermes' sake!" Adelphos, the Hindu scholar, swore in his patron god's name, "Spill it, won't you!? You're only making yourself look like a fool like this!"

"Oh, fine!" Kyung snapped. "But only if you promise you won't laugh."

"We promise we won't laugh," Vasquez, the Jewish Spaniard rolled his eyes. "It might be a good idea, it might not. You DO remember where we are, right?"

"Right, right." The Korean unrolled his notes and gestured for his friends to gather. "Well, I was in Seoul two months ago in my pilgrimage to the Mahabodhi," he explained, the other two nodding, "And as I was leaving, there was an accident in the east port on one of the ships nearby. It was like this for at least two hours, since no one was sure WHICH authority they were supposed to call in to resort it."

He shrugged. "Did they call the portmaster? The dockmaster? The magistrate? No one knew! They finally agreed to let a holy man arbitrate the matter, and we managed to get them to agree to at least stop arguing in the middle of the water so traffic could pass by them." Without pausing to note he had their full attention, he continued, "So I started thinking. I'm sure trade is like this, only even worse. Without an overall organized effort to keep everything fully in line, we're only going to see things go out of control like this. Right now, of course, we don't need to worry, since the merchants are courteous enough to not get in each others' way, but..."

"Kyung, that's brilliant!" Vasquez exclaimed. "Get people to organize in specific groups of authority to ensure we have a smooth running ship!"

"And why didnt' we think of this before?" Adelphus sighed, but nodding in agreement with Vasquez.

"...it just wasn't an issue before?" came the meek answer from the Buddhist. Receiving two friendly thwacks to the head, the discussion soon turned more into planning a proposition to those in power...

An idea begins to take shape...

Ah-ha, the introduction of 'Guilds', now this should indeed be interesting.....

Also, if you fancy roleplaying, you could join the Victoria AAR about the British Empire on the Paradox Forums sometime? Good to have extra folks along!

And I believe you can post other games AAR's on P-Dox so you could try this on both forums, if you fancy. Just an idea.

I like the history chanel esque method you use to write some of your stories, you might want to consider writing all of your posts like that, of course thats just the suggetions of a guy who gets paid everytime someone says history channel :)

Top Bottom