Korean problem

Jednooki_John

Chieftain
Hi guys,

Love the mod, but there is one thing that virtually everytime guarantees a horsehockey game imo - presence of Korea.
If they are far away geographically and you are unable to squash them early, its basically game over (at least in 9 out of 10 games I've played on all difficulties except deity). When you discover them then (around Renaissance) they are already at least 10+ technologies ahead and its virtually impossible to stop them then, since you are sending galleas against their ironclads and their special "balista" units. Also, if you are not the one to do the job, AI would usually never bother (not once seen Koreans dominated by other AIs, they are ALWAYS at the top once they are in the game). That late in the game no other AI wants to even think of joining up to fight them, so you are on your own.

I know usual "get good" response, but am I the only one who basically feels this way that Korea becomes a synonymous with a horsehockey game? Ifyes (I am the only one who's such a noob), what kind of strategies you'd recommend against that mighty asian?

Hi guys,

Love the mod, but there is one thing that virtually everytime guarantees a ****** game imo - presence of Korea.
If they are far away geographically and you are unable to squash them early, its basically game over (at least in 9 out of 10 games I've played on all difficulties except deity). When you discover them then (around Renaissance) they are already at least 10+ technologies ahead and its virtually impossible to stop them then, since you are sending galleas against their ironclads and their special "balista" units. Also, if you are not the one to do the job, AI would usually never bother (not once seen Koreans dominated by other AIs, they are ALWAYS at the top once they are in the game). That late in the game no other AI wants to even think of joining up to fight them, so you are on your own.

I know usual "get good" response, but am I the only one who basically feels this way that Korea becomes a synonymous with a ****** game? Ifyes (I am the only one who's such a noob), what kind of strategies you'd recommend against that mighty asian?

Strange. Korea is almost never a problem in my games. A lot of other civs (ex Poland) are frequently top civs.
But maybe it is due to difficulty level. At low difficulty level, the AI is usually slow at technology, possibly giving to the Korea AI a huge advantage at low difficulty.

EDIT: So that's not a difficulty problem.

Last edited:
Strange. Korea is almost never a problem in my games. A lot of other civs (ex Poland) are frequently top civs.
But maybe it is due to difficulty level. At low difficulty level, the AI is usually slow at technology, possibly giving to the Korea AI a huge advantage at low difficulty.
I usually play at 7.

I don't see especially Korea as a problem usually. Far away runaways happen and are difficult to stop, that's right, but they happen to me with many different civilizations.
Regarding Corea, I find that his science skyrockets late enough so that I usually can do something about it, Babylon sometimes is more of a problem there. However, with Rationalism and the Scholars in residence resolution, I find that I can catch up in the late game usually, at least enough to be able to challenge the tech leader. Especially for science, catchup mechanics are very good and in the hands of an AI, a large tech difference in mid-game doesn't guarantee victory.

I find usually Tech runaway less a problem than Policy runaway (but maybe Korea is also running away in policies in your case). Spies and "scholar in residence" can reasonnably make you catch up, or at least prevent the gap from increasing more than that.

There is a thread for Korea balance, maybe it is worth posting there to discuss if tweaks are needed ?

(https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/korea.561067/page-6)

upload_2018-3-16_14-42-20.png

This is one of the most recent examples. Leading with 51 technologies, while second in the line (Austria) has 39, also of course horsehockyting wonders practically every other turn. I managed to get others to war, but its no use, since he just steamrolls everyone with ironclads and grows even more powerful. I battle him fiercly, but he has practically unlimited resupply with buying units each time I am close to getting anything done to him.

Goes without saying that all those wars with all those other civs does not bother him at all and he is swimming in happiness:
upload_2018-3-16_14-45-30.png

Won't even mention culture thing....

Anyhow, I know about runaway civs and I've caught up many times to them later in the game, but in my experience Korea is an exception which there is no solution for.

Also, Marbozir got a great simillar "Korean moment" documented on his VP series:

At 30:00 he also makes a similar remark. And he basically ragequits from the game and from the series so far :))

Marbozir made a lot of mistakes in that series. His failure was his own making, and Korea capitalized on it. If you leave TurtleMaster alone he can steamroll. That’s what he’s built to do. War, pillage routes, pillage tiles, punish in WC.

G

Marbozir made a lot of mistakes in that series. His failure was his own making, and Korea capitalized on it. If you leave TurtleMaster alone he can steamroll. That’s what he’s built to do. War, pillage routes, pillage tiles, punish in WC.

G

I would really love to get a breakdown of the mistakes he made. I've watched the series, Marbozir is one of my favorites and LPs are probably my favorite way of learning.

I know that's a bit of an ask and I don't expect you or anyone else to actually do it, but to someone who's struggling on King at this point, it would be immensely appreciated.

I would really love to get a breakdown of the mistakes he made. I've watched the series, Marbozir is one of my favorites and LPs are probably my favorite way of learning.

I know that's a bit of an ask and I don't expect you or anyone else to actually do it, but to someone who's struggling on King at this point, it would be immensely appreciated.
Point us a video, and we'll do.

Point us a video, and we'll do.

Was thinking his Denmark series in general more-so than any specific video in it, which is why I said it was a bit of an ask. I haven't watched it recently enough to really have any idea where specific things are.

Honestly, his Denmark series was the least interesting one, it's just the most recent one and thus the most useful from a learning standpoint.

I just looked at his channel, though, and it seems he just started a new game with America. With America being one of my favorite civs in VP, that would be amazing to see some discussion/expert critique of.

Thank you for being willing, regardless!

Marbozir is still having problems with micromanagement, making a lot of mistakes, but he's improving.

I find Inca more annoying, because of their high production and, normally, strong religion.

Top Bottom