1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Korea's colors give me a headache

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Wodan, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Wodan

Wodan Deity

Blue and red? :huh:

Maybe its historical, and certainly it's distinctive. But honestly I don't want to be looking at that all game. Maybe I need to turn down the gamma on my screen.

I suppose throughout history leaders and royals want to have distinctive uniforms; practicality and good looks be damned. It probably was a nightmare to wash those blue and red clothes without the dyes fading or running.

All I can think of are the lines from Kickass (the movie):
    Anyone else have Unfavorite civ colors or graphics?

2. tat501

tat501 Warlord

Not as bad as Ethiopia. I always think I'm been swarmed by barbarians when in fact they are just my men. Perhaps its a bit of colour blindness but I find them confusing if I glance quickly at the colours.

3. njmfff

njmfff Prince

Have you seen Assyria's color lately? :lol:

or Morocco's ?

4. Barathor

Barathor Emperor

The only color combinations which make me cringe a bit are the ones for Ethiopia and Morocco; purely out of my own personal taste and style. All the other ones I don't mind at all. :)

5. Abraxis

Abraxis Emperor

Poland is my least favorite, the red is too sharp and seems to clash with absolutely everything, especially given the amber-ish tone the interface and map has. It just seems too dark, aggressive, and uninviting.

My favorite has to be Carthage, a nice clean white with a soft purple accent. A very elegant theme :love:

I was surprised to find myself enjoying Indonesia's colours as well. They're much more vivid than what I normally like, but they really look good on the map, a nice and cheerful theme.

6. Blitz Spearman

Blitz Spearman Warlord

What I hate is when I can't clearly see the borders of a territory because of low contrast. Incas and Zulu in the desert and Brazil in grasslands are a hell to see.

Also this thread reminds me of the fact (?) that Japan suffered heavy losses in the Pacific naval battles of World War II because their army chose to paint the Japanese flag on their ships, while American ships were just dark blue or gray, much harder to see in the sea.

7. Wodan

Wodan Deity

I agree with Poland and Morocco. Assyria doesn't bother me too much.

Talking about contrast/interaction with the map, I saw one a few weeks ago that was just hideous. It was the border of Brazil's territory, as it laid alongside jungle. Lime green and purple accent... urgh.

8. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

I rather the colors be bright than a dull gray like Germany. I think one of the primary reasons I don't play as Germany is because of its color.

9. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

It's not especially historical - Korea should have a white background to go with either the red or the blue as secondary if the intent is to follow the main colours of the flag (as with most other civs). Historical Korean flags used the same colour palette as the modern South Korean one.

I was a little sad to see the colour combination given to Korea because it's the obvious one for the Khmer, who I've always wanted in the game (it was their combination in Civ IV - I don't know what the basis for Civ IV's choice of turquoise for Korea was), but I actually love the colour scheme itself.

10. orasis

orasis Prince

Germany is probably the worst ... it's so dull. Korea's is a little too bright though, I agree.

11. George Abitbol

George Abitbol Prince

Mongol color is the worst for me.

12. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

I learned in Tang Soo Do, those are the colors on the Korean flag. Blue for water, red for fire, the balance of nature. They chase other on the flag. Water is deep, strong, fire is fast, dangerous. They balance each other and are within all of us.

Korea is a great civ IRL, probably my favorite.

13. mikeville

mikeville Chieftain

Agree with Ethiopia. Playing my first game with them now, and I too think there are barbarians everywhere when it's just my units positioned near the edge of my territory.

14. Vitruvius

Vitruvius King

My favourite color is America. Blue and white are the most neutral colors with good contrast and looks good in any situation.
    Least favourite: Siam. The yellow and red are too sharp and burns my eyes.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

15. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

I never used to have this problem at all, as Ethiopia's red is very different from barbarian red, but on my current computer the difference is less pronounced; I once inadvertently declared war on Ethiopia when meaning to attack barbarians. Again, though, I love the Ethiopian scheme in itself.

Morocco is the one I like least other than the simply 'boring' ones like Germany and Assyria. Indonesia is rather too bright, but I quite like it.

16. vivalamexico

vivalamexico Prince

I will play devil's advocate here, because I actually like Morocco's colors (though of course desert is probably the terrain that clashes least with civ colors).
    Least favorite has to be Maya. So bland-looking

17. gaerraty

gaerraty Chieftain

Have you ever seen PowerPoint shows with blue or purple background and red letters? It feels like your eyes are burning... I guess on bright display in dimmed lighting Korea's color combination could cause same effect.

18. tat501

tat501 Warlord

You know what...I actually like Germanys "Iron" Grey scheme. I LOVE Assyria's colours. Maya is boring yes.

19. pyroflare77

pyroflare77 King

Ethiopia's main problem for me is that they look too much like a city-state on the minimap. Depending on the position of a city, I'll always pass over it when scouring every city-state for some strategic resource not in my territory.

20. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Assyria reminds me of a Cuneiform tablet, so it's quite appropriate in my view. I agree with someone who said Poland. I also think Poland should have Austria's colors, but I digress there.