1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Kotaku names Civ V one of the best 12 PC games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Putmalk, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hammer Rabbi

Hammer Rabbi Deity GOTM Staff

sweet. a new rants thread. and by new i mean the same old arguments for/against Civ 5, 4, the franchise, and (now) Kotaku. But it did entertain me. I was just giggling at Nao's assessment of the cockroaches keeping this game down in his thread so this is added fun.

Kotaku has a lot of hits each month but it's still just a regular gaming website. They have a lot of contributors who need to produce articles every week/month. If somebody is going to give a "best of" list and have 12 games in the list it's guaranteed to be a paragraph on each one and no more. If you are looking for a 12-page Rolling Stone/Time/Harper's-like hard-hitting feature you aren't going to find it on any popular gaming website. If I got paid to write about games in general, my articles would be very general. Hard-hitting assessments of Civ 5 are found in Civ forums, not the People Magazine equivalent on internet gaming.

I dont demean the article writer's profession as not journalism when NONE of them are paid for a secret expose on the industry. (The People magazine analogy wasnt meant to be insulting, just placing the type of info in context.) They are paid to review games, conventions, new hardware releases, and the occasional movie based on a game and they know it. I don't think any of them view their work as journalism. At best they view it as writing practice and a resume builder for the bigger gig down the road or a hobby that lets them get free stuff like games/paid entrance to conventions/hardware.

I'd write stuff like that too if it meant getting the occasional convention tail as a perk. Nerdy girls are jonesin like the rest of us.:lol:

/not an article writer
    //the Gawker format sucks
    ///thank you NoScript

2. Cyrinno

Cyrinno Warlord

Civ4 had it's problems.

Stacks so large my interface can barely handle it, max of 8 would of been good.
    city attack promotion that doesn't work properly but is fixed in colonization(weird)
    Big empires become too much to handle with super long late game turns.

Civ5 is the macro civ where civ 4 is the micro civ.

Civ4 is about handling every little thing about your cities where civ5 is about handling your empire. To me Civ4 has funner early game and CIv5 a better late game.

3. PhilBowles

PhilBowles Deity

4. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Don't put everyone in the same basket...not every civ4 experts prefer civ4 over civ5, or atleast don't care to play civ5 over civ4.

I know many civ4 experts that left civ4 to play civ5. It's a question of taste.

5. General Tso

General Tso Panzer General

To each their own. For me the numbers don't lie. I spent approximately 200 hours playing Civ4 before I started spending 100% of my Civ time modding. I currently have played Civ5 for 975 hours with no mods. There's no doubt which one I like better.

The thing I don't understand is why the whiners hang around here. If you hate Civ5 with a passion why don't you just hang out at the Civ4 forum? If you enjoy pain you could just try hitting your foot with a hammer - it would be much more effective.

But seriously could some of the more blatant whiners answer my question - what is your motivation for hanging around here? Do you just enjoy ruining other people gaming experience?

Moderator Action: Trolling.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. godotnut

godotnut Inverted Unicycle

Someone please explain to me how a review that calls Civ5 a "real time strategy game" is considered credible.

7. General Tso

If that statement isn't some kind of typo then the review is worthless. The person obviously isn't familiar with the game.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

What do you mean? It always seemed to work appropriately for me :confused:

9. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Your answer has nothing to do with what I said. Read more carefully.

10. Derpy Hooves

Derpy Hooves Grand Inquisitor

When reading the title I got confused, then I checked out the list, Bejeweled 3 and a generic racing game are on there, not to mention Mediocrefield 3 and Minecraft, which is not as much a good game as it has a lot of dedicated fans.

Kotaku, thinking they can form coherent opinions.

11. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

I'm wondering as well. It always worked as described as far as I know. Possibly Cyrinno doesn't realise that city attack promotions deduct from the defense value of the defender rather than add to the attacker like all other promotions except Combat.

re: topic,
    It's interesting they put Dirt 2 rather than 3 too.

12. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Simple, because going back to the Civ4 Forum means you can't be here, complaining about games you don't play.

That's pretty much the crux of it. There have been people here complaining about the game for months continually blasting it and saying it will never amount to anything yet they're still here which leads me, and anyone that have two neurons that still fire, to believe that they're doing it for fun. Of course, I would never say something like that in public.

Why would I? Because I've pointed it out, several times, that if you don't like a game and refuse to play a game, you really shouldn't be complaining about said game in the forum. Furthermore, if you bought the game months ago, hated it, and are still complaining in public here, then again, you're just wasting your own time. It would be like if I stuck around the EE3 forum for several months following the bombshell that was EE3 took out the last bit of support MadDoc had left and continued to complain about a game I thought would never amount to anything.

Oh wait, there's a difference. EE3 is in the garbage bin but, apparently, people are still playing CivV. I wonder why? Probably because people like it? Wait, people like it? That's absurd. They can't possibly like it and there can't be that many who like it. It's just a...well, a very long phase Civilization fans are going through, right?

:me sardonically rolling my eyes and not caring about looking for the emoticon:

13. rschissler

rschissler King

People who don't like CivV, keep coming back here hoping to see some big news, something like Civ6 or a major patch for CivV. When they don't find it, they figure that if they rant a little bit, it will ease some of the frustration the're feeling.

If you were feeling pain, wouldn't you want to whine about it too? :cry:

14. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

If I was feeling pained about a video game, I would go outside.

Moderator Action: Pretty offtopic, isn't it? -> back to topic.

15. General Tso

I don't whine.

16. Derpy Hooves

Personally I find ranting very therapeutic, especially if you've been declared world on by the entire world for the umphteenth time.

I think people rant so much because the game itself and it's shortcomings can be very frustrating, especially if a game becomes unplayable due to any amount of ******** crap this game can throw at you, if you get screwed in most other games you can just restart the map.
    If you restart this game you have to say goodbye to several hours of building up your civilization, not to mention redo all the damn settings because a restart map is not available.

17. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Conformism is the sure path to mediocrity.

Some of you would do well at least considering that some of us have a genuine interest to "Denounce" this iteration for what we see are huge failings in design, in order to (and I reckon this might be empty hopes) create some sort of "pressure" to "force" reconsideration for the next iteration... naive, maybe, but not ill purposed.

18. wannabewarlord

wannabewarlord Prince

Masochistic much? Check out Sonereal's hint. THAT might actually be therapeutic!

QFT.

Moderator Action: Pretty offtopic, isn't it? -> back to topic.

19. bozosmithy

bozosmithy Chieftain

people want to feel important so will always comment to gain attention for themselves..............

20. Derpy Hooves

You do know what stress relief is right?
    Pissing off devout fans of the series like you by spilling dat truth will always be amusing, despite this game being terrible.
    Nothing more fun then popping bubbles.

And as Aristos said, there have to be some people to make sure the same mistakes are not made again come CiVI, considering the rant thread is too long to read in a single sitting and the rave thread is about 5 pages I'd say we're doing a pretty good job on this forum at least.

Moderator Action: This is not the rant thread. Therefore, this post is considered spam.