1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Krajzen's Grand BE Factions Vision

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Krajzen, May 15, 2014.

1. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

At first this was going to be simple comment for 'BE Factions' thread but... I suddenly realised I have written too much :p

This is IMHO complete vision of BE space sponsors/civilizations, each with other gameplay focus, philosophy, and they all represent all major world cultures and civilizations.

I am interested how much they will fit what we will see in game :D

First of them are basically already revealed by Firaxis :D

1) Panasian Cooperative - Production, Supremacy

International Corporation remaining as the greatest manufacturing superpower of Earth during the action of BE, thus having powerful production. Its preferred Ideology is Supremacy as Panasian Cooperative remains the second greatest scientific power after American Reclamation Corporation.

Chinese communist regime has finally fallen in 21st century, but China didn't transform into classical Western democracies, seeing them struggling with challenges of the new era, nor did it return to backward imperial state. Instead China chose its own way of corpocratic federation, remaining the greatest industrial superpower of all mankind, along with other members of newly founded Cooperative: United Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Tibet, Great Mongolia.

Panasian Cooperative is based on thousand years of East Asian technological ingenuity, dilligence and discipline. Still, it has many huge problems, from overpopulation towards global warming and sea levels arising, thus greatly endangering Vietnamese and Chinese lowlands. Panasian Cooperative is pioneer of space mining and colonization.

2) American Reclamation Corporation - Technology, Supremacy

Following the great economic Collapse of 21st century, not only China but also American united state has fallen. After decades of internal ideological conflicts the Second Civil War devastated the country... But also created the base for its rebirth. America refused to return to the old ways, instead becoming technocracy of American Reclamation Corporation and again emerging as great power.

America has lost much, but didn't lost its soul and intellect - with great technological legacy and still remaining domination on the fields of soft power, Internet and space technology, American Reclamation Corporation in the game remains as scientific superpower. Suggested Ideology: Supremacy.

Without as huge population and environmental problems as Panasian Cooperative, connecting Atlantic and Pacific, different America is again one of the world main powers. But now it has powerful opponents... Space Race is a chance for America to rise again. The leader is the Great Manager of Corporation.

3) Brazil Republic - Military, Purity

Brazil was world agricultural and cultural power for a long time but it didn't have the will to become true world empire... Until it has finally grown to maturity. The great turmoil of 21st century changed Latin America and its greatest country. Brazil didn't become any kind of ridiculous international corporation, nor did it remain as backward national state - Brazil connects worlds, nations and cultures...

Militarized Brazil doesn't care about religion, philosophy, nationality nor money of its citizens - it cares about their souls and their will to reshape the world! Brazil Republic, supported by millions of people from forgotten Third World countries, doesn't believe in passive resistance! Weak have to become strong in order to participate in the Great Game of History.

Brazil Republic believes in power of state and human being; only strenght managed to take Brazil into stars and only power of will will manage to support this dream. It relies on military power - suggested Ideology is Purity. The leader is the President of State.

4) Franco - Iberia - Culture, Purity

Western Europe was seeking for its identity... And managed to find it. Franco - Iberia refuses to join European corporations and remains the citadel of patriotism and great tradition which made Europe the greatest continent in the past. The union of Belgium, France, Portugal, reunited Spain and Italy is ready to defend past and shape better future.

Franco - Iberia isn't maybe as militarized or industrialized as former superpowers but it remains the greatest world cultural powerhouse. In the beginning of 21st century, 200 000 000 people were visiting these countries each year, and it was just the beginning of the European Soft Power. Franco - Iberia knows the humanity doesn't lie in purely materialistic things and its spiritual influence shapes the entire world.

Franco - Iberia in game remains cultural power. Suggested Ideology - Purity. The leader is the Prime Minister of Franco - Iberia.

5) The Crescent Company - Trade, Purity

One thousand years ago, the Golden Age of Islam has finished... And since then, Islam was no longer the center of world economy, culture, science and technology. The backward tendencies created very deep crisis for the entire Muslim world in 20th and 21st century, which resulted in the Dark Ages. Finally, after tears and blood spilled, the brightest people of this civilization created the Crescent Company - they understood that new times require new solutions, and where the political power has failed, the economy can win.

The Crescent Company, based on Muslim ethos and centuries of great merchant tradition, currently remains the greatest global financial and economical power. Its influence stretches from Mali and Morocco through Middle East to Pakistan. All international trade routes begin and end under the protection of the Crescent Company. United both by seeking money and great moral values, people of this massive corporation are inclined to begin the Second Golden Age of Islam - and they are ready to go into stars in order to achieve this goal.

The Crescent Company in game is all about financial power, banks, trade routes, economy and investitions. In space it seeks money, but in the money it seeks the blessings of God. Suggested Ideology - Purity. The leader is current Caliph from Nigeria, Olanyje Wataba Osuntoki. Main languages: Arabian, Persian, Swahilli.

6) New Russian Empire - Agriculture, Harmony

The Russian imperial power has fallen once and forever. However, along with it, the tragedies of Russian nation, persecuted by centuries of poverty and tyranny, also has disappeared. The entire Orthodox civilization has been terrified by the challenges of the new century, until the Great Patriarch Commennos invented the new way for Eastern Nations.

Third Roman Empire unites all Orthodox countries in the world, from Balkans to Russia, from Kazakhstan and Armenia to Ethiopia, but no longer remains terror of the world. Remembering the results of infinite autocratic power, the Orthodox Civilization returned to its true core - the brave pioneers and their families, and their symbiosis with great areas of East. Global Warming made cultivation of fertile soils on North even more lucrative, and along with an ethos of work and spirit, Third Roman Empire remains as the greatest agricultural superpower, feeding the world. The ruler of Third Rome is called Emperor, but it is Emperor of souls - the people of Third Rome are probably the closest to true democracy in the entire world.

Strong and brave people of the north are one of the first to colonize new worlds, understand them and live in a symbiosis with them. Third Roman Empire excels at improving terrain and its suggested Ideology is Harmony.

7) Greater India - Religion and Spirituality, Harmony

Only Greater India understands what makes a human being. Not hollow economy, not hollow 'culture' of Western Europe - the human being is trying to understand the world and seek peace in its heart. Evil in the world is caused by fear, and Greater India, including the entire Hinduist and Buddhist Civilization, based on the tradition of 'Hindutva', is the world center of religion, spirituality, philosophy and psychology.

People of Greater India live in the harmony with nature and the entire universe, more caring about cultivation than about money. The society of Greater India, enchanced by the social engineering of 21st century, is probably the most peaceful of all new civilizations. The goal of the Association is not Gross Domestic Product but Gross Domestic Happiness.

Greater India goes to stars to seek true Enlightenment and new values. In game it remains the religious and social superpower, perfect for finding Harmony with nature and building internal Utopia. Suggested Ideology - Harmony.

8) World Freedom Organisation - Colonization and Infrastructure, Supremacy

World Freedom Organisation doesn't believe in strict values of other superpowers, in ruthless economical domination, in weird cults of Greater India or New Russian Empire. The main value is human freedom and people of WFO are going to fight for it forever, even if they have to go to stars to get it!

WFO includes Great Britain, Germany, Poland, Scandinavia, Canada, Australia, democracies of Latin America, Africa, and everyone who seeks for liberty. It is the great sponsor of space colonization and it has millions of brave people willing to conquer new worlds for the case of freedom - the most important value of humanity and the best recipe for future.

In game WFO is the best at colonization of new areas, building advanced infrastructure and quick expansion... And defense of it. Suggested Ideology is Supremacy - the technology gave humanity an ability to remain free from terror of biological extinction, so WFO believes here lies true liberty of human mind, where biological body disappears...

2. Migoooy

Migoooy Chieftain

How have they been revealed?? Last I heard only 3 were

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

This is (almost) all speculation

4. Migoooy

Migoooy Chieftain

I can only see the Saharan faction. The rest are kinda a mystery.

5. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Panasian Cooperative, American Reclamation Corporation and Franco - Iberia were revealed ;)

6. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

This is the limit of what has been revealed

Pan Asian Cooperative-has a production bonus-expedition leader has a name suggesting Chinese and Indochina influences

American Reclamation Corporation-(matches launch from semi-3rd world New York in the trailer)

Brazilia-militaristic (matches launch from foggy Rio in the trailer)

FrancoIberia-(matches launch from monorailed Paris in the trailer)

There are 4 more factions
    (there was a Somali speaking launch from a Pyramid-flooded Egypt in the trailer as well)

7. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

I read somebody insist it was Somalian.

8. Migoooy

Migoooy Chieftain

Yeah that's what the consensus was

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

You're right misremembered. edited

10. Migoooy

Migoooy Chieftain

I have a feeling I missed something.

11. Liex

Liex King

I really don't think the factions will have "suggested" affinities or this kind of thing; the devs said multiple times they don't want to force you down a particular way. For instance, when talking about PAC's production bonus, they basically said it was good for domination victory, but also good for everything else. And there is also this:

12. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

I really hope that this is the case, affinities should really emerge dynamically. If you happen to find lots of float stone early on? Go Purity. Start in low food terrain? Go for Supremacy. Find lush terrain and things that boost your planet interaction? Go Harmony.

I could see a slight bent towards certain affinities per leader, though. Basically acting as "tie breaker" if there's not enough information to decide in favour of one from your gameplay situation - but that should be an AI preference, not something "baked" into the play style of a faction choice.

13. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

They all sound so bad.

Who the hell would name themselves Panasian Cooperative or New Russian Empire...

14. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

15. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

Isn't Vietnam in the pan asian? Are there individual civilizations ?

16. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Sofar, Brasilia seems to fit that description the most.

17. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

So these are not a group of civilizations then..

18. kwidem

kwidem Warlord

The title does say 'factions' for a reason.

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

There are no civilizations in cbe. There are only factions that sponsor colony ships.

What I would like to see is a good mix of nation-states, regional powerhouses and non territorial global interest groups.

For example...my vision would be more like
    Nation-States
    1. Brazilia-military bonus (Brazil survived the great mistake through rigid social discipline..but was late in the recovery... It has militarised to gain for itself the great power status it deserves)

2. FrancoIberia-scientific bonus (After the great mistake, the first recovery was the Neorenaissance...while was short lived, it established the tradition of scientific FrancoIberia became known for)

Regional Conglomerates
    3. Pan Asian Cooperative-production bonus (after the disaster and anarchy of the great mistake, planned economies made a major comeback across all of Asia. The PACs expansion was only stopped by massive guerilla warfare in the Middle East, and MAD with the nuclear states of Eastern Europe)

4. American Reclamation Corporation-tile improvement/colonization bonus (the ARC operates most of the economy throughout the couple dozen nations that came from the US and Canada... Major work was done recovering cities/restoring land, and moving into new territories in the Arctic...and Antarctic as well)

5. African Free Syndicates-espionage bonus (The great mistake was actually a boon for Africa as it cut off most outside trade. Many nations collapsed, but militas had to develop viable societies. The anarchic tendencies moderated as Africa began rapid development, leading hundreds of semi-indepedent syndicates. Poor coordination is made up for by a massive economy. The syndicates control 1/2 of Africa, and Africa has 1/2 the world's population.)

Nonterritorial global interest groups
    6. Maritime Trade Authority-trade/naval bonus (The only remnant of the early 21st century international order, the MTA controls oceanic trade worldwide. They have a powerful navy and a system of ports around the world...as well as a number of companies with other investments, and a number of small countries.)

7. Institutes of Technological Transformation-affinity bonus (ITT is a worldwide movement that believes the great mistake indicates we need to utilize technology to radically alter our relationship with the envionment. Institutes are found worldwide and work on genetic engineering, terraforming, AI and applying these into our society.)

8. Society for Spiritual Development-culture/virtue bonus (The SSD developed as a global movement from more mystical-meditative branches in a number of world religions. It believes that by working out deeper spiritual development in the world around us we will move closer to a society that will not only avoid another great mistake, but reach the maximum potential of humanity.)

Unmentioned regions (remainder of Europe, Spanish South America, Antarctica, and Australia) all primarily interact with one of the last 3 regarding space travel

20. Catalytic

Catalytic Chieftain

I'm not sure they gave a timeline for the launch of the colony ship. I'm assuming it's maybe 100 years from now. Key concepts:
    -I suspect global warming/rising sea levels will be part of the story
    -I suspect nationalism to be a key value in some places, religion in others, and ideology in the rest
    -I expect Firaxis to avoid eurocentricity and represent as much of the globe's cultures as it can
    -We have four known factions, I'll speculate about the others

------
    A hat-tip to the British empire
    Given similar customs, common language, and common history, I expect this group to be willing to work with each other. Canada will be warmer, less permafrost, and will be accessing new resources. Australia, NZ, and Britain will flood all key coastal cities and be in crisis mode. I would have predicted they'd align with their traditional allies in the US, but it appears the US is spoken for. I see India retaining its own identity, still fighting Pakistan and launching its own faction.

------
    Latin-America
    As part of the Spanish empire, these countries share a common language, history, religion, and much of their culture. Many will be refugees, pushed north into Mexican highlands, south into Argentinian pampas, and West toward the Andes. Add in refugees fleeing Caribbean islands and you'll have a massive workforce in search of a leader - a modern day Simón Bolívar.

------
    Russia
    These guys just don't play well with others when pushed. They're fiercely nationalistic and ethnocentric, and they've got plenty of good, non-flooded land to fall back on. When their backs are to the wall, they've always fought to the bitter end and they'd do it again in a future crisis. They will endure. They have to be a faction.

------
    Africa
    Given the enormous wealth still in play in that continent, they'll be a factor. Further, the vast majority of the continent is high ground, so there'll be far less social and industrial disruption than in the Eastern US, Southeastern China, Northern Europe, and coastal India. African tribalism won't go away, but I fully would expect a large corporation to buy it's way into Africa's pockets (like China's been quietly doing for the last decade or so), and cement itself as the ruling authority. I see a corporatocracy coming to power here.

------
    Additional thoughts:
    -I understand the desire to focus on Brazil, but I would've disagreed. It's major coastal cities would flood as would a huge amount of the Amazon basin, and it will likely retain its huge seasonal flooding. Usable land will be scarce. It is feasible they could conquer their way out.

-Most of China's largest cities, most of Japan, and a huge portion of Indochina will flood. They'll push west and north towards the mountains and the Gobi desert. The Japanese and Chinese really don't like each other and won't be well-armed. While I understand that collectivism is an Eastern value, I don't see the Chinese wanting to share with hundreds of millions of Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Indonesians, etc. I see China fighting or subjugating rather than cooperating.

-Europe is a deeply fragmented continent. Nationalism, different languages, strong ethnic, familial, and cultural divides aren't going away any time soon - EU or no. Fortunately, a good portion of the developed part of the Continent is on high ground and there'll be a 100-year history of shared ideology and cooperation. If included, I'd expect them to be culture-based, democratic, and bureaucratic. I think Franco-Iberia is an oversimplification. They'd need Germany and given current diplomatic trends, they'd be accommodating in dealing with a communal threat.

-I fully expect the Middle East to blow itself up or eradicate Israel and Orthodox Christianity entirely to create an Islamic caliphate. I don't expect Firaxis to include such a faction because of the politically controversial nature of such a choice. Such a thing would be guaranteed to offend someone, bringing bad press to the game, potentially harming sales. Valid, but my guess is: not in.