Kris Swordsman -- I'm not really a"WTF!!" kinda guy, but if I was...

Actually, I don't really mind about the current KS mechanism..
Because I'm already proud with my well-trained kris wielders, which was acquired through hard work thanks to that weird mechanism.., hunting for iron, train a KS, send him to the barb camp, and if unlucky, kick the unreliable KS to the nearby CS and then train the new one.. :crazyeye:

But yes, getting a cursed KS is kinda frustrating, especially in the middle of war..
In my last game, Monty invaded my land early, and I immediately greet him with my 3 virgin KSs which turned to be an Enemy Blade and 2 Evil Spirits..
And of course all of them killed in action for defending the motherland.. :cry:

I agree with the concept in the previous page which preventing bad promotions appears in sequence.. Getting triple bad promotions in a row and in critical moment are truly depressing..
Or at least give us some advantage when the bad KS dies..
For the example, when a cursed KS is killed by an enemy unit, that unit will gain the KS's curse.. :D

I don't know why so many people would rather gift the bad promotion Kris or delete it rather than use it. You're attacking an enemy civ - why not just use it as a meat shield/sacrificial lamb?

I see people complaining that Indo are useless on pangea maps... I played a game on continents plus and so I set up two of my first three settlers on one tile islands off the coast and guess what - I got the unique luxury! It might seem that the word 'continents' is misleading as any land not on the main continent is considered as 'another' continent. Of course each piece of land cannot be connected. Honestly in my game I simply spammed out the settlers, settled them, and suffered no happiness penalty, plus got +12 happiness as i immediately traded the unique luxs to other civs to keep nice and friendly in diplomacy.

Basically Indo can easily get +12 happiness from their unique ability soon after optics - since 'other continents' really just refers to 'separate pieces of land not on your current continent'.

After you get cargo ships from these settled 'spice islands' (that's the unique ability trait name) you can send food to Jakarta and make it and incredible mega city (I think the developers intended this to mimic real life, as Jakarta is one of the biggest cities in the world)

The +12 happiness is great as it allows for you to either go wide (say by combining with religion) or tall (send food from spice islands to capital + candi for great people).

Yes, well after 5 tries on continents plus and large islands I have yet to find an island within sailing distance. Indonesia is now my least favorite civ, I love rolling dice, but I usually have a contingency plan for when 1 comes up, as Indonesia the plan is lose (or play with god-skills) so no, if I find a perfect map or maybe after a patch fixes them, they are my 43rd favorite civ

Yes, well after 5 tries on continents plus and large islands I have yet to find an island within sailing distance. Indonesia is now my least favorite civ, I love rolling dice, but I usually have a contingency plan for when 1 comes up, as Indonesia the plan is lose (or play with god-skills) so no, if I find a perfect map or maybe after a patch fixes them, they are my 43rd favorite civ

Compared to Spain, Indonesia require no luck whatsoever. Spain's UA goes more or less obsolete if your initial scouting units don't find a NW, and even then you have to find it first or settle it before your neighbours, and even if you do settle it first it might be a crap NW.

Even if you only have 2 iron, you're highly unlikely to roll only negative promotions, something in the vicinity of 6%. Furthermore, most maps have offshore islands you can settle until post-Archaeology when the AI seems to spam to claim the dig sites.

You're severely overstating the luck based aspects of Indonesia.

I don't know why so many people would rather gift the bad promotion Kris or delete it rather than use it. You're attacking an enemy civ - why not just use it as a meat shield/sacrificial lamb?

The problem for me is usually lack of iron. I have enough production to build them and gold to support them but usually I'm unlucky at getting iron. I would only keep them if I had the iron to spare and was lacking the time to produce more.

Another reason to delete/trade them would be if you are going with a very small city number. Sometimes I like to go with a single city for the early part of the game before expanding via puppeting when I warmonger and when I do this, unit support is at a premium.

Don't get too fussed up about trying to use the UA at the beginning of the game. Be patient. Wait till the Renaissance. Use it when you find a good spot somewhere on the map. a 2 luxury spot becomes a 3 luxury spot with Indonesia.

I propose a third option, which is to follow the same trend for cursed weapons that tends to be used in other games. The curse is usually a trade-off that bites the player in the rear in some way. For instance, there are cursed weapons in Borderlands that provide extra firepower, can drain your health, make you more vulnerable to damage, or slow your movement to a snail's pace. Essentially, it's a "press-your-luck" mechanic, which is generally much more interesting than a "draw-a-number" mechanic.

And actually, some of the weapons actually do utilize that concept. It's just weirdly inconsistent.

Ever tried using Bane to kill a few lowly thugs & then getting stuck with that awful voice with all your weapons (in Borderlands 2) ? Believe me, it is much more annoying than getting 3 consecutive enemy blades promos on your Kris kros.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ever tried using Bane to kill a few lowly thugs & then getting stuck with that awful voice with all your weapons (in Borderlands 2) ? Believe me, it is much more annoying than getting 3 consecutive enemy blades promos on your Kris kros.

I love Bame! I went to Deadwood specifically to get it. :lol:

So far, I built 4 Kris Swordmen in 2 games. I got:
Ennemy Blade
Ennemy Blade
Evil Spirits
Ennemy Blade.
0.4% of chance to pick 4 bad promotions in a row. :goodjob:

Hmm. I have 4 also, and I got Heroism, Ambition, Restlessness, and Evil Spirits. I gifted the ES one to a city-state for giggles and I'm making a new Kris Swordsman now.

I tried Indonesia for a while and wasn't liking my game very much, so I went for Kris Swordsmen to check them out. Turns out the only source of Iron (6) was on the other side of the continent... well, ok, Makassar wasn't on the best city spot ever but it wasn't bad either. Got some faith from piety and picked Holy Order for some 150 :c5faith: K-Swords. Of my 6 UUs, I got those promotions below:

- Invulnerability (!!!)
- Restlessness (!!!)
- Recruitment
- Ambition
- Recruitment
- Evil Spirits

I liked this UU! :D
Used Evil Spirits as a bait on my siege, so the other OP K-Swords could survive. My favourite promo was Restlessness, mostly because of the 3 movement! Just wait right outside their border while Invulnerability and Evil Spirits work as meat shields, Ambition kicks their bows and Recruits finish their units. Coooool! Didn't keep playing because I had no bows with me and Boudicca got the Great Wall, but I liked the way the K-Swords work!

Essentially you have a 2/8 chance on all your Kris to be completely useless. Unfortunately if you are strapped for iron, that 2/8 chance is pretty darn horrible.

Hammers, too. At least if a Kris is bad you can sell it and get the iron back, but the hammers are lost forever.

I would prefer if all the promotions were trade-offs, more good than bad. Some could still be better than others, but having some ridiculously good and some purely bad like now is too erratic.

Dear God...it's just a different way of playing and no one is being forced to play Indonesia. I appreciate the chance for variety.

Dear God...it's just a different way of playing and no one is being forced to play Indonesia. I appreciate the chance for variety.

Thanks, we almost went ten posts without someone offering this inisght.

Nobody is being forced to read this thread and make snarky, overreactive replies either, yet still so many feel compelled.

I tried Indonesia for a while and wasn't liking my game very much, so I went for Kris Swordsmen to check them out. Turns out the only source of Iron (6) was on the other side of the continent... well, ok, Makassar wasn't on the best city spot ever but it wasn't bad either. Got some faith from piety and picked Holy Order for some 150 :c5faith: K-Swords. Of my 6 UUs, I got those promotions below:

- Invulnerability (!!!)
- Restlessness (!!!)
- Recruitment
- Ambition
- Recruitment
- Evil Spirits

Used Evil Spirits as a bait on my siege, so the other OP K-Swords could survive. My favourite promo was Restlessness, mostly because of the 3 movement! Just wait right outside their border while Invulnerability and Evil Spirits work as meat shields, Ambition kicks their bows and Recruits finish their units. Coooool! Didn't keep playing because I had no bows with me and Boudicca got the Great Wall, but I liked the way the K-Swords work!
Well, if they worked like that every time we used them, with the really powerful coming early plentiful, I'm sure everyone would like them. :)

But that's sorta missing the point.

Well, if they worked like that every time we used them, with the really powerful coming early plentiful, I'm sure everyone would like them. :)

But that's sorta missing the point.

Yeah, I guess I got quite lucky on that game. Still, I wasn't very frustrated to get the Evil Spirits one, as it was useful as bait. Of course, it would be much better to get an OP Kris, but I liked the randomness :)

- Invulnerability (!!!)
- Restlessness (!!!)
- Recruitment
- Ambition
- Recruitment
- Evil Spirits

I just got Restlessness, too, which reads "May Attack Twice. 1 Extra Movement" and yet I don't appear to have the ability to attack twice. Is it bugged? After I attack, the unit's turn is over. I do have the extra movement, though.

I just got Restlessness, too, which reads "May Attack Twice. 1 Extra Movement" and yet I don't appear to have the ability to attack twice. Is it bugged? After I attack, the unit's turn is over. I do have the extra movement, though.

The unit can only attack twice if it has 2 or more movement points remaining. If the unit moves two tiles then attacks, it can only attack once. If it moves three tiles, it has to wait till the next turn to attack.

Top Bottom