Kruelgor's Roman Empire

As this will be an ongoing project with many future released versions, much of what you mentioned may come in a later version
Good to hear that you're interested in making this a serious ongoing project.

None of the kind of brainstorm ideas are things I would expect to show up in a basic proof-of-concept version or initial release, they're ideas for future development, and a test to see if any of this can fit into your design vision.
[Even if I get involved, this will still be your mod.]

I look forward to seeing your initial release, this would give me an idea of the direction you're heading, and seeing if its something I can help with.

I would imagine that a project of this nature would proceed something like:
1. Initial version with map, core factions, heavily based on vanilla units and tech tree and the like as placeholders.
2. Adopting some total conversion aspects; eg replace tech tree, units, or buildings with a new core (used by all factions).
3. More complex version with some UUs, UBs, and variation across factions.
4. Consideration of new mechanics, events, tuning, etc.
With iterative releases at each stage.

One suggestion I have for your current design:
Think very carefully about how many of those factions you really need, and how many city states you want to create.
Its cool to have lots of historically accurate factions, but adding them risks creating a big gameplay problem.
With lots of splintered enemy factions and city-states, it risks being very easy for the human player to pick them off piecemeal, and the game becomes too easy.
Whereas if you merge them into culturally linked factions (even when they were not historically under a single leader) then they can act as a coordinated whole, keeping their army in a coherent chunk that is harder to fight against.
So for example it might be worth considering merging some factions into super-factions. So maybe you have one cisalpine gallic tribe, and then merge all the other gaulic and belgic factions into a single enemy. That way, once you declare war on them, that war is hard, because they're throwing big armies at you.
Having city states that begin allied with enemy powers is a compromise, but not one that works particularly well, because city states are lousy at contributing to warfare.

I'd also suggest that you consider separating into Rise and Fall scenarios and mods. The barbarian invasion expansion for Rome Total War is a great source of inspiration for a Fall scenario; constantly struggling to defend farflung outposts, struggling to maintain happiness levels and discontent,
[I don't think you really want Vandals, Ostrogoths, Franks, Visigoths, Cimbri, Huns etc. present in a Republican Rome era.]

I guess what I'm asking is; over the next few weeks, is it worth me spending some time sketching out some design ideas on things like unit design, tech tree, buildings and wonders?
I don't want to intrude if you already have a pretty advanced design in mind, of if you already have strong design opinions, or if you prefer to work alone.
Maybe I should hold off until your first release, and then we could talk.

I guess what I'm asking is; over the next few weeks, is it worth me spending some time sketching out some design ideas on things like unit design, tech tree, buildings and wonders?
I don't want to intrude if you already have a pretty advanced design in mind, of if you already have strong design opinions, or if you prefer to work alone.
Maybe I should hold off until your first release, and then we could talk.

I really appreciate your offering, but I would say at this time it probably would be a waste of time. I would recommend that you go ahead and create what you have in mind and perhaps it will turnout to be a masterpiece. Who knows.

I really appreciate your offering, but I would say at this time it probably would be a waste of time
Ok, thanks for the honesty. Please PM me if you want some design ideas or feedback at a later stage.

I would recommend that you go ahead and create what you have in mind and perhaps it will turnout to be a masterpiece.
Sadly, I don't have the modding ability or time to actually create this kind of stuff myself, which is why I prefer to offer design ideas to people who do.

Best of luck with your project.

Hey, I don't know if you're interested, but if you want more than one map, I'm working on one that was supposed to be just Italy, but had to be Italy and Greece because the map editor doesn't allow maps that are longer than they are wide. It's still a work in progress (I haven't added rivers or terrain), but the outline is done.

Would be a useful small scale map in case you want more than one version, or a First Punic War scenario :)

Attachments

• Italy WIP.jpg
    Italy WIP.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 84
Hey, I don't know if you're interested, but if you want more than one map, I'm working on one that was supposed to be just Italy, but had to be Italy and Greece because the map editor doesn't allow maps that are longer than they are wide. It's still a work in progress (I haven't added rivers or terrain), but the outline is done.

Would be a useful small scale map in case you want more than one version, or a First Punic War scenario :)

I could use that!!

Cool. I'll start my own thread when I make some more progress on it. It's not easy to make without a minimap. Speaking of which, Kruelgor, thanks for posting that grid idea. It helped make this map much, much easier.

Thanks, yeah maybe. Here is the transparency program I used to trace the map precisely http://download.cnet.com/Actual-Transparent-Window/3000-18487_4-10138522.html?tag=mncol;2

Thanks, that might have been extraordinarily helpful. Unfortunately, I basically finished it, I'm just too lazy to add resources. I'll probably use it in the future, though. It's actually quite large (80x80). I think you can easily fit two civs in Italy alone.

You want to post the files you have so far in case others want to work on this?

Kruelgor,
could you post (or release) the XML code you used to show your (excellent) custom leaders in the diplo scenes?

I was pretty impressed with the leaderheads too.

I left modding Civ 5 myself. Nowadays I make nude skins and sexy lingerie for The Sims 2 instead, just like Kruelgor is modding Little Big Planet.

Cheerio all.

Top Bottom