KRYS02 - Monarch Always War - PTW 1.27f

kryszcztov

Deity
So I'm back in this forum ! I want to play this variant a lot, and I think Monarch can be a good level to play it for the 1st time. I'm searching for 4 players, so engage now, and please post the settings you really want to have for this game (civ, barbs, map stuff...) and if you don't want to use exploits or suspicious strategies...

[THIS POST WILL BE EDITED A FEW TIMES. CHECK IT BACK AFTER A WHILE.]
THIS POST WON'T BE EDITED ANYMORE.

KRYS01 was the previous game (victory).

We are playing with PTW 1.27f.

Here are the settings of the game :

World Size = Standard
Land Mass and Water Coverage = Pangea with 70% water
Climate / Temperature / Age = Wet / Warm / 3 Billion
Barbarians = Restless
Civ = Chinese
Number of Opponents = 7 (random)
Available Victories = Conquest and Spaceship
Difficulty = Monarch
Not culturally linked, no restarting players, preserve random seed.
Variant rule : Always War = We must declare war on each civ we meet before the end of the turn during which we meet that civ, and stay at war with that civ until either of us is conquered. Thus we won't be allowed to make 20-turn deals, so as not to fool the AI.

We will try to use no exploit at all and play according to the Epics spirit. But we won't stop or reload the game if we found out that someone used an exploit (wanted or not).
Also, because this is a succession game, try to follow these rules (they aren't meant to be strict) :
- don't set up governors in our cities ;
- don't set up automated workers ;
- don't set up auto-goto units.

We will all play 20 turns in the 1st round, and 10 turns from then. You have 24 hours to post your saved game OR to post a "got it" message. If you post a "got it", then you are granted a total 48 hours to post your saved game.
Don't hesitate to post questions, suggestions, strategy thinkings, before or after your turn ! Don't hesitate to play as you want to (if you think the previous player has messed a little, for example), as long as we agree on a general strategy. We'll learn things that way. I'll try to post comments after each turn, so we can discuss what to do next every 10 turns (20 in the beginning) ; I encourage everyone to participate in the debate !

Remember : we're here to learn and enjoy playing Civ3 !!!

We will start when we are 5 players. If you want to participate, please tell your preference in the roster (I'll be 1st anyway).

The roster :
kryszcztov
betazed
leha
TedJackson
Earp

A little Monarch Always War game doesn't interest anyone ?? :( Come on !

Here are my thoughts for the settings :
civ : China, Greece, Japan
world : Pangea, standard size, rugged (for fun)
barbs : restless :evil: (we don't want the AIs to focus on us only)
victory : we could allow them all and aim for whatever we get first (if we are successful :o ), or allow them all and aim for one only (so we have to be careful not to trigger another one), or allow some of them only

Anyway, come on everyone ! Deity players, AW vets, AW newbies, all are wanted ! :)

Hi Kryszcztov !
Please , sign me in .
I'm waiting for new SG for a looooong time .
I'm playing on monarch level sucessfully . I have pretty much spare time , so I will not skip much my turns . And I never tried AW . Do you take me ?

Edit: If you do , here my thoughts :

1. We better be militaristic ( Japan is OK I think )
2. I like huge maps ( but it seems in SG standard maps are preferable because of lots of moves on huge maps in the final stages of the game , so I will be content with standard map too )
3. I do have 1.27f installed .
4. I like 3 billion maps , wet and warm .
5. May be we better switch off Diplo victory ?

@ amirsan : No, we will play this game with 1.27f, because it can become a mess, and that's the last thing I'd want right now. :o If you want to play, please download the latest patch.

@ leha : Nice to see someone who wants to play ! :)
Mmmh, you say you can beat Monarch, but I've heard that Monarch AW is roughly as difficult as a standard Deity game, would you qualify or feel comfortable ? I have myself never tried AW, but I can beat Deity. :goodjob: Your call.
About the civ, China and Japan are both militaristic civs with early Medieval UUs (maybe the best time for a UU). And Greece has those hoplites that will help us in the beginning (hardest part of the game, if we are successful then).
We'll use a standard map, because there will be well too many wars, and it will be very time-consuming in the end...
Wet and warm only if we take China (industrious !).
Maybe we could switch off diplo victory... Don't know really.
Well, it's up to you to know if you can play in this game, I won't reject anyone (unless can't beat Regent !! :D ).

:bellsring: Come on ! Join me in this game ! :)

kryszcztov,

I'll sign on as I've never played an AW variant before.

If you want to have a look at my playing style then I'm currently playing in MB1, MB2, MB3, EM6, Tark1 & ST4 (dead at the moment :()

Of the Civs you listed I'd go for the Chinese.

Ted

Originally posted by kryszcztov
@ amirsan : No, we will play this game with 1.27f, because it can become a mess, and that's the last thing I'd want right now. :o If you want to play, please download the latest patch.

@ leha : Nice to see someone who wants to play ! :)
Mmmh, you say you can beat Monarch, but I've heard that Monarch AW is roughly as difficult as a standard Deity game, would you qualify or feel comfortable ? I have myself never tried AW, but I can beat Deity. :goodjob: Your call.
About the civ, China and Japan are both militaristic civs with early Medieval UUs (maybe the best time for a UU). And Greece has those hoplites that will help us in the beginning (hardest part of the game, if we are successful then).
We'll use a standard map, because there will be well too many wars, and it will be very time-consuming in the end...
Wet and warm only if we take China (industrious !).
Maybe we could switch off diplo victory... Don't know really.
Well, it's up to you to know if you can play in this game, I won't reject anyone (unless can't beat Regent !! :D ).

:bellsring: Come on ! Join me in this game ! :)

Well , again , I'm VERY comfortable on monarch , so comfortable , that it becomes boring , really , and lately I'm considering to switch to emperor . Never played above monarch , tho . So , It's up to you to decide if I fit in . But I'd really like to join . :)

I'd be intrested in joining if you bumped it back to vanilla. I don't have PTW & refuse to shell out $20 when conquest is coming out in 2 months.

You old meanie Ghenghis :D

But I understand the problem. I only bought PTW a week before C3C was announced :mad:

Ted

But in order to play Vanilla I'm supposed to uninstall PTW , or am I mistaken ?

@ TedJackson : You're in ! :) Your playing style will go warmonger-like in this game for sure !! :D

@ leha : You'd really like to join, eh ? So of course you're in ! :) And switch to Emperor right now in your solo games. If you really want to learn this game (improve, not just sit waiting an easy "routine" victory on a low level), you won't get more benefit playing on Monarch. And I bet you that we will learn stuff in this game. ;)

@ Gengis Khan : No sorry, I got both CDs in early 2003, quickly played 2 easy games on Vanilla on another computer, and then I installed PTW on mine, and never came back to Vanilla. It would just confuse me... But I see what you mean, waiting for C3C. But BTW, weren't you part of amirsan's SG/PBEM ? We had started it with PTW... :eek: Do I miss something here ?

Originally posted by leha
But in order to play Vanilla I'm supposed to uninstall PTW , or am I mistaken ?
No need to uninstall leha. Vanilla Civ is still there :)

In your root Civ directory there's a Civilization3.exe file. Just click on that and you're away!

Ted

@ TedJackson : You're in ! :) Your playing style will go warmonger-like in this game for sure !! :D
Thanks for those kind (I hope :)) words.

Looking forward to starting when we have a few more players. I'll vouch for Ghenghis as I've played a couple of games with him.

On the PTW 1.27 vs Civ 1.29 question I think that Civ 1.29 is pretty compatible across international versions (IIRC you're using the French localized version). Obviously, if you know of any problems with Civ 1.29 then PTW is a must.

Ted

I'm gonna edit my sig, I use a US version now (until C3C is out, after which I don't know). You could click on my link to learn more about my problem. I'm pretty sure Vanilla isn't compatible at all, but I've never tried actually. Anyway I won't go back to Vanilla, PTW is (slightly) better. :) Sorry for those who have to wait for C3C, but then things will be far better.

OK,

PTW (1.27) it is :)

Ted

I'm in :) :) :) :D
Tomorrow will start some emperor solo game and will see what happens ( to get more experience before roster is full ) .

But BTW, weren't you part of amirsan's SG/PBEM ? We had started it with PTW... :eek: Do I miss something here ?

Oh well, it was worth a shot. Good luck guys, I'll definatly be lurking on this one as I've never played an AW SG & am very intrested in this varient.

Yea I was, my best friend has PTW(& keeps trying to talk me into buying it so we can play MP:lol: ), I was gonna spend a couple hours over his house everytime my turns came up.

Thanks for the vouch ted. Its pretty intresting but EVERY SG I'm in now the person who started it has dropped out. :crazyeye:

Yeah, Coffee............. Cup !! So you managed to change your username without creating a new one ? Wonder how you did that... It's been a while, you right, we played in Ville's Regent game, so easily won ! :) It won't be as easy here !

OK. 2 more players needed ! To anyone joining here : please read the 1st post from time to time. I edited it today, and may again sometime. Could you all tell your preference in the roster ? Also : I started to play Civ with the Epics spirit, maybe you have heard about it. I believe this game is less fun when you abuse its mechanics. So could you tell if you agree (or not) not to use exploitive tactics as listed here ?

World Size: standard or large - can play huge without probs but it probably wouldn't suit this type of game.

Land: Pangaea - more challenge or continents for a smoother ride :)

Climate: Random

Barbs: Roaming or restless

Civ: China or Japan

Opponents: Normal for map size

RB rules: OK with me

Ted

Top Bottom