KSP: Balancing cartoony aspects with realistic aspects.

nyyfootball

Warlord
Kerbal Space Program is the perfect example of striking a balance between a "cartoony" art style with realistic gameplay and mechanics. KSP features the cartoony Kerbals, but features rockets and spacecraft which operate according to real world Newtonian mechanics.

Spoiler :

Civilization would benefit greatly from following KSPs lead in this area. There is no reason to arbitrarily dumb down the gameplay and mechanics of Civilization, especially in what is ostensibly supposed to be an educational game to begin with. I am greatly appreciative of several of the new features of CIV VI including what has been dubbed "dynamic diplomacy", which gives the AIs more realistic goals, as opposed to being blindly hell bent on conquest and all out war. The AI should be a barrier for the player to "win" the game, but it should not be in the game to "win" it itself. The goal of Civilization is survival and sustainablitly in real life, not victory and conquest. I also am appreciative of the new intra-city mechanics, which hopefully simulate city growth in a more realistic manner as opposed to arbitrarily growing out in every direction as the same rate. I also hope that this makes cities meld with topographical features more organically, as opposed to the huge cities of past games which would grow over topographical features as if they weren't even there.

I do not like the cartoonish scaling of the screenshots. Having pyramids which are as large as an entire city serves no purpose and is not very ascetically pleasing. I am fine with the cartoonist textures, although I would prefer more realistic textures, it's just that they would look better if they were scaled in a more pleasing manner.

If the trend is towards a more simplified, and thus accessible, game, I would be greatly appreciative of a toggle between "arcade mode" and "realism mode". It would therefore be possible to please both demographics, those who wish to see a boardgamey strategy game and those who wish to see a realistic simulation of human civilization.

I happy to see a new Civ game (finally) and hope that it lives up to the hype.

Civ5 had quite realistic graphics and too arcade gameplay in some aspects (city states...), I'd prefer Civ6 with more cartoonish (but nice) graphics and deeper gameplay ;)

...although my taste would prefer realistic graphics and realistic gameplay above all, probably.

Would like to know what the developers have to say about the art design. Plus watching the gameplay/overall feel of the game and leader screens with my own eyes.

Right now i am sceptical about it. But hopefull after about everything i have read and seen not relating to the cartoony screenshots.

Hopefully our fears will prove to be unjust.

Top Bottom