1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] Kublai Khan Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Pietato

Pietato Platonic Perfection

You best be stayin' away from my hills, son...

His agenda will be no different to Menelik's for you.

2. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

I'll say this, Kublai will be more fun to play against than Qin... what with Qin's wonder hunger and stuff. At least it is possible to get along with Kublai.

3. Buktu

Buktu Prince

A higher range than normal for his traders would be nice as well. So it is easier to reach the civs on the other side of the map.

In general I think that chinese KK is ok for a science victory since you can get away with nearly no TS at all, get lots of gold and, if you manage to get your eurekas late into the game, have an ability to get the future tech eurekas (maybe even revealing Offworld Mission). Mongolian KK should be good for either science (just conquer one or two civs next to you and speed things up, also easier to time your eurekas to get the future tech ones) or religious victory (strong apostles with more yellow cards for more faith).

4. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

I think people are underestimating tourism you can get through trades- especially with late policies like online communities and Great merchants that aids trade tourism.

5. Buktu

Buktu Prince

You can still slot these in with other leaders (Qin in this case) and enjoy all these bonusses while also having a higher base tourism because of early wonder spamming and more charges to build the great wall. I often want more cards when I am going for a SV but most of the time when I go for a CV I dont need that many cards and have enough slots even without the extra slot from KK.

6. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

you forgot extra economic policy cards, as well as the incentive to trade a lot with other civs. Kubilai benefits a lot from cards that aid trades. Not to mention great Wall is a great ( pun not intended) source of tourism itself.

7. Buktu

Buktu Prince

You have to trade with every civ in the game but you will do that anyway if you are going for a CV. Sure you can boost those trade routes with the extra card slot but there is just one card that adds extra tourism to them (and thus helping you win the game). What's the point of having more gold/science/culture/production on trade routes when there is simply nothing important left to buy/research/build? Sure these are nice for the mid game but then again you wont get the tourism cards until later so you can use the traderoute buffing cards anyway. But those wont help him (directly) to win the game.
    You mention the great wall as great source of tourism yourself. So why not have an extra charge per builder to build more of these (less builders build also means less costs for future builders btw)? And also why not rush alot of wonders early so their tourism yield can rise with every past era?
    So why would I want to play KK torwards a culture victory as china when I have the option to play Qin? Also KK wont have access to the great wall as mongolia so there is nearly nothing left to help with a CV either.

8. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

I'll admit Qin is better BUT Chinese Kublai isn't THAT bad either in culture. It isn't like Chinese Kublai can't build Great Walls.

9. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Idk about China as KK, but Mongolia has an advantage while going for cultural that is a bit better as KK. That might not be the case on a standard map, but on huge, it's hard to reach every Civ with a trade route, something that is a lot easier to do as Mongolia, and you can accomplish that way sooner than any other Civ. Replacing Genghis' military focus with an ability that can directly benefit a cultural victory turns Mongolia into a serious option for cultural.

10. Duke William of Normandy

Duke William of Normandy King of England & Unofficial Welcoming Committee

We'll all be buying their deals and throat singing soon.

11. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Emperor

Sadly, the achievement asks for a culture victory as Genghis instead of Mongolia. I was looking forward to unlock it as Kublai Khan =(

12. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Kublai will ask for a domination victory :)

13. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

The more I think about it, the more I think my first game post patch will be Kublai Mongols. A new leader to play, but not so drastically different as Vietnam. I still think I'll like 'Nam better in the end, but I want to dive into the new "stuff" without the whole new version of the district game to worry about too.

14. Hellenism Salesman

Hellenism Salesman Prince

Y'know, the plain, simple, non-gimmicky bonuses of Kublai really remind me of the base-game civs, who (for the most part) all had rather simple but effective bonuses. Greece is my go-to example- not the world's most complex bonuses, but still impactful and effective, making them worthwhile.

The "concise" designs have gotten rarer and rarer as time goes on, and the NFP really established a standard of wacky, complex civs that were almost over-designed with how many bonuses they stuffed into them. And while that stuff can be fun (the Civilizations Expanded mod is a great example), as someone who has a passion and interest in game design, I'm far more impressed and intrigued by the genius simplicity of "concise" civs. Glad to see Kublai is a return-to-form of sorts, and I hope they make more civs with this design style in the future.

Virdrago, Kjimmet, DWilson and 4 others like this.
  15. Duke William of Normandy

Indeed it is.

16. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

I guess most Korean fandoms share similar viewpoint with you. Most of them weren't impressed with most NFP civs and most are happy with Kublai Khan at how he is returning to "normal" aspect of civ.

17. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I like China but only because of the appeal with Qin as leader, so...yeah not sure if I will enjoy Kublaichina. However, Mongolia was one of the few dom civs I actually liked playing because the bonus is creative, so I think Kublai Mongolia will be appealing enough for me to play first.

18. Kupe Navigator

Kupe Navigator Emperor

Except for Maori. I don’t like how it makes Marae hold Great writting- I have never seen a Marae showing a play...

19. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I've never seen a library that can't hold books. ;)

20. Duke William of Normandy

Yeah, that's a grievance I have with that mod as well. It takes away various nerfs to the Civilizations and Leaders that made them unique. Gaul is another example of this, in my opinion.