Kudos on the new color scheme.

Bottom left of the page. ;)

Regards
LOL, I never noticed this little thing...

For those of you, that don't want to wait for a change or that want to do their very own civfanatics theme:
  • Download "Stylish" for your browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.)
  • Go to civfanatics.com and click on the new "S"-Icon. Create a style for this page.
  • You will then be asked to insert your css code, you can insert my template from down below
  • Feel free to change the colors of the background in "background-color:" or of the font in "color:" or just add some crazy stuff :crazyeye:

This is my template:
Spoiler :

Code:
/*Background*/

html,
body,
div.page,
table.tborder,
div.tborder {
    background-color: #ba822f !important;
    color: #FFFFFF!important;
}
/*Posts Bar, where the date is written etc..*/

td.thead,
td.tfoot {
    background-color: #dca630 !important;
    border-color: #f2b15d !important;
}

..and here are some screenshots:
b2.jpg a1.jpg

I created a new color scheme named Alternative Civilization VI with a brown background. It can be selected from the drop down menu near the bottom of most pages. Is this better?

I think that it would be a bad idea to implement a static background image to the site. I mean how would you see it? There is only a few space that allows you to see an image. Furthermore it is a performance issue, what resolution will it have? 1080p is too small, 2k becomes common but it only 50% of my resolution. So it will look ugly on the one half of the visitors and will lag on the other half. Just have a look at those pictures below:

Picture 1
Picture 2

I was referring to a previous post, where I suggested a static image and dark transparent posts in the link below. Basically having having most grey post boxes into transparent black and the text white instead.

Here's a version with the post backgrounds dark instead of whitish grey.
View attachment 408689

A 1080 by 1920 works fine because its behind the posts in the first place. You don't need say a 4k photo like other websites, because we're not going to be staring at it. Additionally, in order to conserve data the middle part of the picture could be downgraded and the outside edges left somewhat alone as well as a conversion to jpeg instead of png leaving it around 400 kb ish. And I think it looks alrightish...

Now some of you guys may think 400 kb is wayyy too much... but its not that much compared to what civfanatics already uses.

Originally:
forums.civfanatics.com: 548 kb
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=14302707: 689kb

Now you might saw 400 kb is kinda doubling every page's memory. On the contrary, your browser will cache the image after the first time you first the browser. (Unless you're using private mode on civfanatics.com ;) )

Most of the pages on civfanatics have caching.
For instance the forums.civfanatics.com goes from 548kb to 287kb the second time you visit it.

So in the end I think that a background image is feasible.

edit: estebanium that stylish add-on idea seems cool, i'll try it out! so i don't have to keep editing in chrome developer :p

I created a new color scheme named Alternative Civilization VI with a brown background. It can be selected from the drop down menu near the bottom of most pages. Is this better?

How can I put this politely...?

I think it's worse. :blush:

Regards

Yea, I liked the old color scheme better.
With this one the forum looks too amateurish and makes it looks like one of those website from the early 2000s. Not to mention bright colors is a no-no to my eye. Bring green back!

Eh, just use Modern CFC or Black. You don't have to use whatever theme of the year they give you. Both of those have been and will always be superior theme options.

I think, that this goes into the right direction. If I compare it with the old theme, it seems like the community is more sensitive to color brightness if the color is not a grey shade. So you could try to change the color to a more brownish shade. This is actually too yellowish. In addition to that you could play around with the design color, that is used for showing the date of a post etc.. This color is still to bright, the contrast in comparison to the background is too high. Maybe try out a color that is darker than the background or slightly brighter than the background. I feel that my suggestion is a bit more eye pleasing, but everyone has a different taste.

No, even more visual aggression :crazyeye:
Lower intensity, use soft pastel tones that do not go all aggro on the eyes.
I went back to CivBE theme for the moment.

I was referring to a previous post, where I suggested a static image and dark transparent posts in the link below. Basically having having most grey post boxes into transparent black and the text white instead.

A 1080 by 1920 works fine because its behind the posts in the first place. You don't need say a 4k photo like other websites, because we're not going to be staring at it. Additionally, in order to conserve data the middle part of the picture could be downgraded and the outside edges left somewhat alone as well as a conversion to jpeg instead of png leaving it around 400 kb ish. And I think it looks alrightish...

So in the end I think that a background image is feasible.

edit: estebanium that stylish add-on idea seems cool, i'll try it out! so i don't have to keep editing in chrome developer :p
I am the last one that will say something against design, art and graphics, but a forum is still a place where you want to read and write. It is a place where only one thing is absolutely important: visibility and readability. If there are now transparent elements, behind text elements, it will become more difficult to read something. Yes you can turn the transparent down to what ever, but it will then come to a level from where it will make no sense to have it transparent.
Maybe you can try out to create such theme for your own. You will need this line here:
Code:
{
background-repeat: no-repeat;
background-attachment: fixed;
background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/QI60CFn.png");
background-position-x: center;
background-position-y: center;
background-size: 100%;
background-color: #DFC89A;
}
Replace background-color: #ba822f !important; with this one above, you will then need to add the transparency to the elements you want.

I think, that this goes into the right direction. If I compare it with the old theme, it seems like the community is more sensitive to color brightness if the color is not a grey shade. So you could try to change the color to a more brownish shade. This is actually too yellowish. In addition to that you could play around with the design color, that is used for showing the date of a post etc.. This color is still to bright, the contrast in comparison to the background is too high. Maybe try out a color that is darker than the background or slightly brighter than the background. I feel that my suggestion is a bit more eye pleasing, but everyone has a different taste.

EDIT:
I just played a little bit around. Added a slight transparency to the posts-table and set up a background image. In my opinion a gadget, but not really a must have ^^ :
Spoiler :

Code:
/*Background*/

html,
body,
div.page,
table.tborder,
div.tborder {
    background-image: url("http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Offworld_Mars.jpg");
}
/*Postbar*/
td.alt1,
td.alt2,
td.alt1Active {
    background-color: rgba(236,236,236,0.90);
    border-color: rgba(242,177,93,0.90) !important;
}
td.thead,
td.tfoot {
}
Some screenshots:
c1.jpg c2.jpg

I am the last one that will say something against design, art and graphics, but a forum is still a place where you want to read and write. It is a place where only one thing is absolutely important: visibility and readability. If there are now transparent elements, behind text elements, it will become more difficult to read something. Yes you can turn the transparent down to what ever, but it will then come to a level from where it will make no sense to have it transparent.
Some screenshots:
View attachment 408702 View attachment 408703

Here's what I got:

Spoiler :
Code:
body {
    /*
    	Add 1080 by 1920 highquality png
    	Feel free to replace with other image
    */
/*     background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/QI60CFn.png"); */
    background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/6Lb5JCr.png");
    background-position: center 20%;
}
.page {
    background: none;
    /*Remove page background*/
}
.tborder {
    /*Remove awful red borders*/

border: none;
}
/* Box left of Thread tools*/

.tcat {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75);
    color: white;
}
/* Post Text box, Forum selector, and Subforum bar*/

.alt1,
.alt1Active {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.90);
}
.alt2 {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75);
}
.vbmenu_control {
    background: rgba(80, 80, 80, 0.75);
}
.thead {
    background: rgba(172, 134, 57, 0.75);
    color: black;
}
td {
    border: red;
}
/* White links, grey if visited*/

a:link,
body_alink {
    color: white
}
a:visited {
    color: grey;
}

I agree with you on all accounts that a background image will make it harder to see and isn't the best choice for a forum. The main reason why I was playing around with it is because, as you mentioned, civfanatics seem to hate bright colors as the background. However, they also want to move away from a very dark background.

Leaving a medium background as the only option. But, using a medium color for a solid background is practically impossible to look good on a website, especially the color of "medium" yellow. I'd much prefer a color near white or black as the background. There already exists a dark theme "Black CFC" so I wasn't going to reinvent the wheel and there's also a white theme "Mac CFC", both which fulfill a simple black/white theme.

I tried out your theme and it looks alright I guess, but the grey on the background image feels kinda off (though my solution of a barely transparent black post is hardly better).

Perhaps the best solution for a "medium" color for the background might be a CSS repeating pattern, something like this: http://lea.verou.me/css3patterns/
It'll allow for a medium color besides very bright yellow/sky blue which hurts civfanatics eyes nor very dark blue/black colors. Plus, it'll be low on data instead of these data hungry images.

The forum banner/logo:
It makes it look like this is a place full of fanatics, ie. the Fanatics Center. I realize the word "Civilization" is there, but it's somehow less visible.

I played a bit around with Stylish and this is a bit better:
View attachment 408694

I don't know but I think that the general layout of this forum board is something like Windows 95. Adding just colors is nothing that will make this look better. Maybe you have the chance to add some curves to the edges or something, just put it on the next step: Windows 98! This would be awesome!
I'm not wild about so much yellow ochre in general, but at least the colors are in the same family now.

No, sorry.

Yellow and peach are not in the same color families. So they clash.

Maybe you can try out to create such theme for your own. You will need this line here:
Code:
{
background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/QI60CFn.png");
}
Replace background-color: #ba822f !important; with this one above, you will then need to add the transparency to the elements you want.

EDIT:
I just played a little bit around. Added a slight transparency to the posts-table and set up a background image. In my opinion a gadget, but not really a must have ^^ :
Spoiler :

Code:
/*Background*/

html,
body,
div.page,
table.tborder,
div.tborder {
    background-image: url("http://1u88jj3r4db2x4txp44yqfj1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Offworld_Mars.jpg");
}
/*Postbar*/
td.alt1,
td.alt2,
td.alt1Active {
    background-color: rgba(236,236,236,0.90);
    border-color: rgba(242,177,93,0.90) !important;
}
td.thead,
td.tfoot {
}
Some screenshots:
View attachment 408702 View attachment 408703
Those are nice. :)

respectfully, this peach color is a complete eyesore that literally hurts. i will be off the site soon as my comment is posted, but i needed to chime in with my feedback and hopefully this gets changed soon, i actually like this site. regards

All feedback on the proposed forum skins is welcome, but there's no need to stop using this site because you don't care for a particular skin. As others have noted, you are free to select any forum skin you prefer.

To select a new permanent default skin, go to My Account, choose Edit Options, and at the bottom you will see Miscellaneous Options, which includes an option for a Forum Skin. Select which skin you like and the site will always load with that skin.

This color scheme is totally awful. Who would think this is nice to look at when you want to read something? Please get rid of it

Here's what I got:
CODE
This looks very nice, but I am not a fan of dark colors. I made a light version of it:
Spoiler :

Code:
body {
    /*
    	Add 1080 by 1920 highquality png
    	Feel free to replace with other image
    */
/*     background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/QI60CFn.png"); */
    background-image: url("http://i.imgur.com/6Lb5JCr.png");
    background-position: center 20%;
}
.page {
    /*Remove page background*/
}
.tborder {
    /*Remove awful red borders*/

border: none;
}
/* Box left of Thread tools*/

.tcat {
    background: rgba(236,236,236, 0.80);
}
/* Post Text box, Forum selector, and Subforum bar*/

.alt1,
.alt1Active {
    background: rgba(236,236,236, 0.95);
}
.alt2 {
}
.vbmenu_control {
    background: rgba(80, 80, 80, 0.80);
}
.vbmenu_control a:link  {
}
.vbmenu_control a:visited {
}
.vbmenu_control a:focus {
    color: rgba(222, 168, 52, 1.00);
}
.vbmenu_control a:hover, a:active {
    color: rgba(222, 168, 52, 1.00);
}
.thead {
    background: rgba(172, 134, 57, 0.80);
}
td {
    border: red;
}
.tfoot {
    background: rgba(172, 134, 57, 0.80);
}

/* Reply to Thread*/

.panelsurround,
.panel {
}

/* White links, grey if visited*/

a:link,
body_alink {
}
a:visited {
    color: #585858;
}
a:focus {
    color: #585858;
}
light.jpg

To Topic: I don't think that this new color theme will come to a good end. Some people are very against it, no matter what you will do about turning down brightness etc. The general atmosphere here is very annoyed. I would suggest a theme that will contain grey and golden elements. Goldene for design and grey for the common elements.

To select a new permanent default skin.... Select which skin you like and the site will always load with that skin.

thank you for the tutorial. unfortunately, a user has to log in before the preferences take hold. it's helpful of course, but this peach is still the first thing anyone will see when they come here which, in my opinion, is the wrong way to go when selecting a default.

cheers

In all my time on this site, this is the first time I've had to go looking for customisation options to get rid of the default setting (thanks for the heads up guys!). I think the combination of colours (on a PC at least) are too bright and too bold.

thank you for the tutorial. unfortunately, a user has to log in before the preferences take hold. it's helpful of course, but this peach is still the first thing anyone will see when they come here which, in my opinion, is the wrong way to go when selecting a default.

cheers
So stay logged in. While you're here, pop over to My Account, make the changes, and then everything will be fine.

Or I suppose you could invest in a pair of sunglasses... :think:

Top Bottom