Kupe and religion

gozpel

Couch-potato (fortified)
I haven't played Kupe much, only a couple of games on island plates, so today I started a game on a terra map. First goody hut gives me a relic! So ok, I get religious settlements first and another city very early.

Now I got the first religion and wonder how do I chose the best belief? Somewhere I read that Reliquaries is the best choice, I have one relic and that is my palace now. Where can I put other relics, would that be the Cathedral? If so, it would be Reliquaries and Cathedral as my religion.

But I look at that other one, I believe Jesuit Education where you can buy campuses and theatre squares for faith, and since Maori have that special building Marea or whatever, which doesn't have any slots for great works, but instead makes surrounding tiles better, maybe I should go for that?

Never played Maori with religion in mind, mostly just domination.

So is a relic something that can be put in a Cathedral? I have never thought of it and would be very happy if someone could clear this up quickly.

Plus, I am aiming for culture.

Who tells you to choose Reliquaries? He must be the Goddess of Civ6!

It is the BEST to choose reliquaries even without Kandy. All your relics have triple yields, how good it is! Even if you don't have any relics you shall choose reliquaries for it sounds nice.

If you wish to play Jesuit Education you shall also choose Religious Settlements(The one which gives your automatic convertion when founding a new city) as well so that you don't need to spread your religion in order to make use of the belief, especially for Kupe who usually settle really far-away cities.

Moderator Action: Edited out PDMA and other garbage. Please do not do this again. leif
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks LL, that what I thought and thank you for your quick reply. :) If Kandy had been on my side of the world it would be a different thing.

And are relics used in cathedrals? Just want to know.

And Religious Settlements was also in the thinking, as I will get a golden era in 9 turns after I found my religion. Where I will use Monumentality till I bleed. Turn 45 and 30 faith per turn.

@gozpel I said they were best for Kandy and yes, if you do not find Kandy in a short period of time there is no point but Kupe is the best at it. I feel the advice was sound, you just did not have the right opportunity. In any early Kupe GOTM someone got a T78 normal speed victory with reliquaries.

I have only played one RV with Kupe and used holy orders and it was a very fast victory. I did not settle everywhere, for an RV settle fast and scout the world fast. First mission can convert your cities. So much is map dependant. In my view settling cities everywhere often means you can lose a city to a nearby civ Luke Kupe lost a city to me in a game last night.

Last edited:
I'm done with easy religious victories, now I try to learn cultural, haha, :)

But I played a bit more and obviously LL's answer is the way to go here.

Funny, turn 68 and I have 68 faith per turn. Now I have to focus on those "Meroe' things and I should be ok.
Btw, this is just an Emperor game, as I'm getting sick of Deity, I just want to have fun.

Thanks LL, that what I thought and thank you for your quick reply. :) If Kandy had been on my side of the world it would be a different thing.

And are relics used in cathedrals? Just want to know.

And Religious Settlements was also in the thinking, as I will get a golden era in 9 turns after I found my religion. Where I will use Monumentality till I bleed. Turn 45 and 30 faith per turn.

Even if you have Kandy I don't think Reliquary a good idea for normal play.

Yes I use Reliquaries+Kandy too for fast Culture Victories if replaying is permitted. But if you don't just remember where those natural wonders and other AIs are and save-load to get those relics and your temples together you're most likely to fail.
(right, temples have a relic slot)

If you don't have a slot you miss a chance when you meet a natural wonder.

If you don't have Kandy Suzerain due to some envoy shift when you meet a natural wonder you also don't get that relic. You have to control exactly the number of turn you meet those natural wonders. There're not too many natural wonders on the map so you have to be really careful(I mean, first play once and on your next try remember where they are) not to miss some.

If you do get every wonder met not too early and not too late(at the same turn or a few turns later when you build a temple) and also with Kandy, you get that. You also have to meet up all those Civs early to generate tourism on them.

If you play lower difficulty where AIs have fewer tourists maybe this is a choice.

Absolutely right LL, and that is why I went with your choice, I know now I can put relics in temples, never had a clue before.
But still, use my faith to make more cities on my own continent, before they come and say hello, but plant a city here and it's mine.

I have 7 cities down so far, one 2 tiles from Mount Vesuvius (yum) only because there was a 5 faith tile there (mountain tiles). I still have 15 cities to settle, then looking at appeal.

es I use Reliquaries+Kandy too for fast Culture Victories if replaying is permitted. But if you don't just remember where those natural wonders and other AIs are and save-load to get those relics and your temples together you're most likely to fail.
Well in a GOTM I got a CV with Kandy in T98 or something, then someone went and reload/remembered it down to T78 showing we do not all do this and you can still win.
@gozpel using the Marae to push up to Cold War fast and win with Rock bands is probably faster than using flight. Certainly has been when I played, I did not bother with religion though, just got the temples and CS bonuses, and when I got a religion I went choral music to get me to rock bands earlier. It’s another approach, emperor is much more fun and relaxed than deity and is my normal preference.

Top Bottom