1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Kuriorate Races

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by Rex rgis of Ter, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Rex rgis of Ter

Rex rgis of Ter Me I'm a Creator

The Kuriorates are one of the most unique civilizations in the gmae. Their cities are huge, there gameplay very unique. I recently was reading their civilopedia entry. Many races make up the Kuriorates. It mentions only two, apart from humans, the Centaurs and Lamia. What are these other races?

2. Farmer Bobathan

Farmer Bobathan Sanity is for the weak

It would be cool if the Kuriotates could choose the unit's race when they make it.

3. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

I've seen topics dealing with this before. A couple of suggestions I've seen involve randomizing the racial promotions of Kuriotate units and giving a small chance for a recently-built Kuriotate unit to come out as the UU of another civ (which would lead to the unfortunate practice of producing Champions until one of them turns out to be a Vampire...).

4. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

I suspect that this is something that will be dealt with when the Kuriotates start getting more customised units. Right now the art team seems to be focusing on Khazad/Luchuirp and Sidar.

5. it-ogo

it-ogo Hedgehog

We have in fact now that all are human. Even centaurs as they have no their own racial promo. :D Or they have?

I think that centaurs are in a bad harmony with big cities: horse-like creatures need a space.

We know that tailors and jewellers of K are best ones so they are good in handicraft (some dvarwes?).

6. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

I always assumed that the centaurs hang around in the countryside (there's enough of it in Kuriotate turf), while the humans, Lamias and so on are in the cities.

7. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Well, the point of the Centaurs are to be fast-moving counterattackers, so they are not really meant to hang around so much in cities anyway.

8. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

/Thread Necromancy!

Currently, the Cavalry line is centaur-only, the presence of the Kuriotate Swordsman and Longbowman suggests Melee and Archery will be human, and Arcane is going to be Lamias (when they finally get animated). What does that leave us with? At the moment, Recon, Elephants and Siege

I have expressed elsewhere my hope for some sort of troll or friendly giant taking the role of a kuriotate war elephant, but recon? I could see some sort of little rat-like humanoid, similar to the kobolds in WoW, halflings or nezumi filling the scout role in the kuriotate army. Any thoughts?

9. thomas.berubeg

thomas.berubeg Wandering the World

yeah, probably good.

something like the lilliputians (ah, i know its not that) from pullman's dark materials, riding dragonflies... (would be a nice unique touch)

10. Rando

Rando Chieftain

I like the lilliputians riding dragonflies idea. I think you could do a lot with that. There is a huge body of lore and gaelic myth around faeries too that could be interesting to tap into.

11. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

Of course, the big problem with dragonfly riders would be animating them...

Plus y'know, princess rule, so no fairies :p

12. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Yeah, I'm afraid they wouldn't work so well. In addition to the princess rule, such tiny units would e very difficult to actually select (the opposite problem of dragons and giant spiders are too easy to select when trying to select a unit in the neighboring tile)

13. xienwolf

xienwolf Chieftain

Click anywhere on the tile that a unit is in and you select it just fine. I was playing with some SUPER small units today and the only problem was actually remembering to look for them by the flag when in a forest.

14. Mewtarthio

Mewtarthio Chieftain

What's the "princess rule"? I assume it means something along the lines of "Our fantasy realm is too dark and cynical to have fairy-tale princess things. I mean, really, who wants to have a psycho like Basium riding around on a unicorn?"

Anyway, I don't think I could possibly take the Kuriotates seriously if they sent pixies on dragonflies to scout out my lands. Honestly, you've got an apocalyptic death cult living next door to an army of vampires who are only being held off by a stringently-regimented martial society (these are the "Good" guys, of course), and suddenly a bunch of fairies come rushing in. It's just too incongruous.

15. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

Yeah pretty much, Kael said at one point something along the lines of 'they didn't want anything that could appear on a little girl's bedroom wall.' :lol:

16. WhitewolfIV

WhitewolfIV Chieftain

Man, having Basium riding a unicorn would be awesome. Especially if was a tiny pink pony with ribbons in its tail and mane. And had a star shaped mark on its body. I could just see him going around yelling girl power and sunshine and rainbows coming out of his sword. But no the wallpaper company said it isn't stylish enought to print and that it made the little girls cry.

Too bad. Also Basium had ribbons in his hair.

17. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

Dragging this thread back to its original purpose (again :p) what does everyone think of my 'little ratling thingies' idea?

18. Ekolite

Ekolite The Mighty Jungle

Nah, for some reason that doesn't work for me. The current kurio races are all half-humans. centaurs are half human, half horse, lamia are half human half snake. If any more races were added they'd need to follow the ame pattern IMO. Shame that minotaurs are sheaim demons already.

19. Fenboy

Fenboy Chieftain

So nezumi and WoW kobolds aren't half-human/half-rat? :p

20. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Strictly speaking, the fauns should be Kurio recon units as well as FoL, IMO. However, since that is out of the question, maybe amazons?