1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Kuriotates in Wild Mana

Discussion in 'Wildmana Modmod' started by graywarden, May 25, 2010.

1. graywarden

graywarden King

Testing as the Kuriotates (version 8.31) and I had a simple question, but could not find a thread dedicated to them, so I have started this one for that purpose.

My question is concerning the "Promote Settlement" Spell/Ability. There is nothing mentioned in the Pedia, and it is unclear what benefit this will be for the settlement, and if it is currently active or not.

If it is active, and someone knows what the effects are, I could write a short pedia/strategy entry for the next version.

2. Till

Till Adventurer

It turns a settlement into a regular city (of which you can only have n). I found this out the hard way. :p

3. graywarden

graywarden King

till,

so this "promoted" city is counted the same as a "established" city, and my city limit count remains the same, is that right.

well at least I can write a help file and a pedia to warn others then..... haha

4. graywarden

graywarden King

Here is my "Strategy" and "Pedia"-placeholder

Spoiler :
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_SPELL_PROMOTE_SETTLEMENT_STRATEGY</Tag>
    <English>The Promote Settlement spell turns your Kuriotates Settlement into a Kuriotates City. The maximum number of Kuriotates Cities remains the same.</English>

If anyone has a more colorful Pedia text that they would like inserted, let me know, otherwise I will let the Strategy tag act as a placeholder for now.

I have also created a Help Tag, reminding the player the city cap is still maintained.

5. Till

Till Adventurer

Looks good to me!

6. graywarden

graywarden King

@ Sephi,

I changed the Pedia-Placeholder to my Pedia Text Tag in

Spoiler :
    FFH Wild Mana\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4SpellInfos.xml LINE 2225

I did not see a Tag for either Strategy or Help. So I dont repeat my past mistake, do you want to tell me where I should enter these Tags, or would you prefer to enter them?

7. Sephi

Sephi Deity

I am not sure if strategy gets displayed for spells, probably just use pedia entry. Help tag works for spells. Just add it below the pedia or description entry of the spell.

8. graywarden

graywarden King

If by chance I were to add a strategy tag, would that cause a problem, Im thinking I have made strategy text tags for spells before. Just have inserted the "tags" once or twice before.

9. tesb

tesb Emperor

strategy entries are not shown for spells afaik, but adding one doesn't cause any problems it is just wasted data.

10. graywarden

graywarden King

Ok, maybe i was remembering incorrectly. What about Sid Tips, which I have seen grab strategy tags, are they disabled in Wild Mana? That would be the only other reason to have them IF one wanted them.

11. tesb

tesb Emperor

i only played vanilla civ4 once, so i don't know what you mean. i say this because i once added strategy tags for spells myself and found out it does not work. however you can always imitate a strategy entry in the pedia by carefully choosing [newline], [paragraph] etc.

12. graywarden

graywarden King

Sid Tips are a "strategy"/"help" like display but are labeled as sid tips. They were enabled in the other Mods ive worked with, and to be honest I havent paid close attention if they are enabled here or not.

Ok I will delete the strategy entry, the pedia and help should be plenty. I just like to be thorough...... :p

13. graywarden

graywarden King

@Sephi,

I inserted this Help tag for the as discussed previously and when I reloaded, I received a schema load error.

Spoiler :

FFH Wild Mana\Assets\XML\Units\CIV4SpellInfos.xml
    Line 2225
    <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_SPELL_PROMOTE_SETTLEMENT_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
    <Tag>TXT_KEY_SPELL_PROMOTE_SETTLEMENT_HELP</Tag>

I didnt want to upload this with my other changes until you had a chance to let me know you would take care of the schema OR if I inserted the tag incorrectly.

14. Sephi

Sephi Deity

you need to use <help> not <tag>

for example
    Code:
                <Type>SPELL_RECRUIT</Type>
                <Description>TXT_KEY_SPELL_RECRUIT</Description>
                <Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_SPELL_PLACEHOLDER_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
                <Help>TXT_KEY_SPELL_RECRUIT_HELP</Help>

15. graywarden

graywarden King

ahhh I thought maybe that was the case.

so the LEED tag creates the type of tag then, the consequent tags feed from the leed... i think i got that. now to just remember that.... thanks

16. graywarden

graywarden King

still testing as the Kuriotates, which I have only played a couple of times up till now. So we have the "Settlement Promotion" to turn a settlement into a city, got that figured out, but is there anyway to "move" a city to a settlement? I have allowed a faction to split off to give me one more city, and even built the mecurians to get one more city back. Now I am starting to expand my borders, and would like to shift my cities to more strategic places? are there any mechanics for this? something like the Austrin switch??

17. Till

Till Adventurer

No, you have to get the spots right the first time around and cover resource shortage with settlements or trade (your unique resources help in this regard). What do you mean by "more strategic places", anyway?

18. graywarden

graywarden King

haha i thought that was the case...... well now that i am expanding, some "new" spots are better then "old" spots and I would love to switch for either economics or for military reasons. Just thought id ask if there were some "tricks" to the civ that i needed to know.

19. graywarden

graywarden King

So do I want to build my settlements "ON" resource tiles to maximize their return?
    This would be something like the Civ3 colony resource then if that is the case.

20. Till

Till Adventurer

Settlements don't cost any maintenance (iirc), so you can spam as many as you like. Doesn't really matter where you build them, as long as they get resources into their cultural influence.

I prefer to turn other civs' former cities into settlements. Actually building them yourself is a waste of precious production queue time, in my opinion, that would be better spend on troops/buildings/wonders.