1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

kuriotes and city of 1k slums

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by darkwatcherjs, Oct 21, 2009.

1. darkwatcherjs

darkwatcherjs Chieftain

what happens when the kuriotates build this wonder:confused:

2. readercolin

readercolin Chieftain

Nothing

Same for the Calibam and the Pillar of Chains

-Colin

3. Emptiness

Emptiness []

You might want to read the full description of Pillar of Chains before you make that conclusion.

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I was under the impression that the Kuriotates had NONE as their City of a Thousand Slums UB, so they cannot build the useless wonder.

I usually like to give them a City of a Thousand Gardens UB of this wonder. Instead of extending the city radius, it negates population unhealthiness.

5. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I really like the City of a Thousand Gardens UB ... maybe also grant some happiness and/or food. (like 5 happiness and 4 food as an example) ... and removing pop unhealth would be a must .... very nice idea ^_^

6. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

does that still prevent other civs from building Slums(and visa versa?)

7. readercolin

readercolin Chieftain

No, as it is right now, the Pillar of Chains and the govenors manors work in the same way, and they do not stack. Yes, there is that minor benefit of making the team immune to the effects of civic anger, but this is really a VERY minor selling point to the Calibam. Both the Govenors Manors, and the Pillar of Chains provide +1 hammer per :mad: face - note, this is for every :mad: face, not for every unhappy citizen, even if it only shows +1 hammer for unhappy citizen in the production bar - you will note that there are a mysterious number of unaccounted for hammers equal to the number of :) faces.

-Colin

8. Emptiness

Emptiness []

That's exactly my point. Each point of population produces one :mad:, thus one :hammers:. Having actual unhappy citizens isn't helpful at all. If you have enough :) to fully cover the :mad: from not running Republic then the Pillar of Chains would actually be reducing :hammers: in your cities, and so would be worthless. Once the penalty for not running Republic gets high enough that you can't cover it, and you start having angry citizens, then Pillar of Chains becomes important because the :hammers: you gain from the civic anger are outweighed by the :food: / :commerce: / :hammers: / :gp: you're losing.

Naturally the number of civs still in the game plays a big role in determining how useful it's going to be to the Calabim. With two other civs there's no point, because the anger will be easy to manage. If you've got 20 civs running Republic then the advantage of owning the Pillar is huge. Of course you could just choose to run Republic as well, but converting from an Aristocracy economy to a Republic economy is a pain.

9. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

Yes. They are the same building class, so they count against the same world builing limit. Having the same building class also means that City of a Thousand Gardens will transform into City of a Thousand Slums when captured by a non-Kuriotate civ, and vice versa.

Looking thorough the files, it does not seem that the Kuriotates have NONE as a UB for the normal wonder. I'm pretty sure I remember being unable to build it wth that civ though, so I guess it must be blocked some other way.

I'm thinking that if a civ captures a wonder for which it has NONE as a UB then the wonder would be permanently destroyed.

(Sometimes I do make it also give additional food and health, and sometimes I make it negate building unhealthiness too. I've also sometimes made it give GlabalHealth, like Aquae Sucellus. I don't think I've tried making it give happiness though.)

You know, you could give the Calabim a Pillar of Chains UB (perhaps using Flauros's nickname for it, "the Rose of Prespur;" it is not necessary to make it have a different name in game though) with an additional effect. The first possible bonus that came to mind was making it grant a free Governor's Manor in every city.

10. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Chieftain

The pillar of chains does stack with manors.

11. Morlark

Morlark Chieftain

I was always under the impression that +1 :hammers: per unhappy citizen was the intended function, and that the current behaviour of +1 :hammers: per :mad: was a bug. Is this not the case? After all, that's what the tooltip says, and the Governor's Manor is widely regarded as being quite imbalanced.

12. Emptiness

Emptiness []

It is working as intended. The notation "Provides +1 :hammers: per Unhappy population" is a text error, which propagates the misconception that it is bugged. It costs more :hammers: than a Courthouse to build, provides less reduction of Maintenance than a Courthouse, and causes increases :mad: by one in the city. Getting -25% War weariness and +1 :hammers: per Unhappy population would not be enough to make up for the disadvantages. Remember, the Governor's Manor is the Calabim UB; it is supposed to be a good thing, not a bad one.

Also note that the Pillar of Chains has the same text ("Provides +1 :hammers: per Unhappy population"), and I think most people can see that it is clearly intended to provide :hammers: for :mad:, not only for unhappy population.

13. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

So what you are saying is that a forge is useless? Cause generally the bonus will be something like 2-5 hammers.

Even if working as intended, I find the hammer boost from the Manors to be ridiculous.

14. Veqryn

Veqryn Chieftain

how badass would that be if all it did was increase the square's work range by 1, instead of increasing it to 3.
    a kurio that worked 4 out? jeez that would be awesome (oh, and you might be spending 100% drama to keep them happy too)

15. Onionsoilder

Onionsoilder Reaver

That would be impossible for the human to control. As it currently stands, it's very difficult to control what tiles are worked with a three-ranged city. The outer tiles of a four-range city wouldn't even show up on the interface.

16. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Just wanted to say that I've decided to use the 'City of a Thousand Gardens' wonder. ;)

17. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

u forgot food

18. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Not really, no. Magister said he sometimes adds additional food to it. ;)

I've actually added something else to it, but it concerns one of the few things I'm keeping mostly under wraps for the new patch so it's not something I'll elaborate on. ;)

19. Emptiness

Emptiness []

I don't understand what you mean.

20. mahazel

mahazel Chieftain

I like the idea of the 'City of a Thousand Gardens', but maybe CoTS could give Kuriotates ability to build one more City?