Labor Day

Mr.WorldWide

Smugly Inferior
So once again we celebrate a self appointed government holiday which mostly benefits (surprise, surprise) the government worker.

My birthday is sometimes on labor day, so I deserve the day off regardless. :mischief:

2/10 5chars

Did you have something you wanted to discuss in particular?

I agree it should be on May 1.

I get Labor Day off because I'm a laborer (in the general sense). I get Memorial Day off even though I didn't die in the uniformed service to my country. I don't get Veterans Day off even though I am a veteran.

I wish they'd be more consistent about it.

I get Labor Day off because I'm a laborer (in the general sense). I get Memorial Day off even though I didn't die in the uniformed service to my country. I don't get Veterans Day off even though I am a veteran.

I wish they'd be more consistent about it.

You can be working class, and be guaranteed no day off.

Labor Day is an ersatz commemoration of the working man. Americans ought to celebrate it on the same day as the rest of the world on May 1st. The universal solidarity of the working man is the entire POINT.

Labor Day is a phoney-bologna holiday invented by fat-cat union gangsters.

We don't have it on May 1st over here, either.

Echoing the "may first or gtfo" sentiment, especially given that the damn thing was an American invention to start with.

The US doesn't have enough national holidays imo. Only counting the ones most people get off (or at least get holiday pay for) so we don't include president's day, mlk day etc (only banks and government employees get those) we only get six major ones: Independence day/4th of july, memorial day, labor day, thanksgiving, christmas and new year's day. Easter would be in there two but it's always on a weekend anyway. That's not much at all. By contrast I know a few people from Germany and they have tons of festivals and holidays in the summer. They get probably 3-4 weeks off just from festivals, spring ones, summer ones, fall ones. US workers work too much imo. In total I have a typical office job and I get 12 days of holidays and 15 days of vacation time, pretty decent, but a comparable job in germany has more like 40 days off total.

I start my first paid job on Monday, sooo.....
RAISE THE FLAG OF REVOLUTION COMRADES!!

Top Bottom