Labor Day

How many federally mandated long weekends do you get in the U.S.? How many on average if you include state mandated ones?

Curious how that compares to Canada - we get 7 or 8 long weekends a year (not sure exactly) in Ontario, not including Christmas or NYE.

None. Only the national holidays that are moved to Mondays cause long weekends. And most of them, it's not mandated that people get the day off from work. Fewer and fewer employees do. The majority of retail is only closed 4 days a year now.

I know plenty of people who use their sick days because they are sick of working without a long weekend.

But yeah, it sucks.

There was a comic, I think it was a Dilbert, someone was telling the boss that 40% of sick days are taken on a Monday or a Friday, and so they needed a policy to block that from happening.

There has even been a push here in Canada to give us 1 long weekend a month. I doubt it's going to happen, but we recently got a new one - "Family Day", a new holiday that gives us a long weekend in February.

I guess long weekends are such deeply ingrained aspect of Canadian culture that I just can't imagine working somewhere that didn't have them. I think I'd go insane and proceed with mass stabbings.

I will allow this holiday to exist, but mainly because the other 364 days of the year are corporate fatcat oppression days and the little mice need something to celebrate about, lest they start their foolish little riots. Muhahahaha.

None. Only the national holidays that are moved to Mondays cause long weekends. And most of them, it's not mandated that people get the day off from work. Fewer and fewer employees do. The majority of retail is only closed 4 days a year now.

This prompted me to look it up because I didn't actually know if the government mandated time off or holiday pay. Turns out they don't for private companies. It just happens that most private companies give those days off or pay holiday pay (anywhere from 1.5 times to 3 times regular pay depending on the holiday and employer).

For example, I'm salaried and my company gives memorial day, labor day, independence day, thanksgiving day, good friday (friday before easter), new year's day and a week off for christmas. Most salaried positions do this. But if you work in say health care, obviously hospitals need to be staffed over holidays. My friend's who are in nursing get triple pay if they work christmas and I think double for other holidays. My friends in retail only get time and a half. But while my holidays are paid, if they aren't working the holiday they don't get paid either. It just depends on the job whether you get pair time off. Pretty sure most retail and service industry does not get that. The only thing really mandated in the US is the 40 hour work week where you get overtime for going over if your a non exempt employee.

It's a weird system and depends on your employer, just like your vacation time. But if there were more federal holidays I think most employers would be pressured into giving those days off as well.

What prevents companies from taking away those vacation days that are not mandated by the federal or state government? Wouldn't they save money? I doubt they have come to the conclusion that more vacation days means a more efficient workforce, so what's going on there? Would the employees flee to competitors and work there instead, in such a time of financial instability and a lack of jobs available?

What prevents companies from taking away those vacation days that are not mandated by the federal or state government? Wouldn't they save money? I doubt they have come to the conclusion that more vacation days means a more efficient workforce, so what's going on there? Would the employees flee to competitors and work there instead, in such a time of financial instability and a lack of jobs available?

What prevents companies from unilaterally lowering employee pay, or reducing benefits, etc etc? At some point you do hit a point where employees say screw it and look for other jobs, and/or prospective employees deciding they don't like the leadership style or "atmosphere" of your company. Where that point is actually located is something a few companies (including one I used to work for) seem to be trying to find by trial and error. Lots of error.

The limits are how badly the company wants to keep good workers. The less they care to do so, the more they take from their workers. And the less the workers are in a position to go elsewhere, the more the companies push.

What about the bad workers? I have <snip> and <snip> and colorblind and stutters in my family. I care about these folks. They're awsome if you get to know them but they really don't sell very well.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate content removed. Please refrain from using derogatory words like these.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Awesome, but not so awesome you don't feel uncomfortable calling them "mongoloids and ******s"?

This prompted me to look it up because I didn't actually know if the government mandated time off or holiday pay. Turns out they don't for private companies. It just happens that most private companies give those days off or pay holiday pay (anywhere from 1.5 times to 3 times regular pay depending on the holiday and employer).

For example, I'm salaried and my company gives memorial day, labor day, independence day, thanksgiving day, good friday (friday before easter), new year's day and a week off for christmas. Most salaried positions do this. But if you work in say health care, obviously hospitals need to be staffed over holidays. My friend's who are in nursing get triple pay if they work christmas and I think double for other holidays. My friends in retail only get time and a half. But while my holidays are paid, if they aren't working the holiday they don't get paid either. It just depends on the job whether you get pair time off. Pretty sure most retail and service industry does not get that. The only thing really mandated in the US is the 40 hour work week where you get overtime for going over if your a non exempt employee.

It's a weird system and depends on your employer, just like your vacation time. But if there were more federal holidays I think most employers would be pressured into giving those days off as well.

The takeaway is that the more skilled of a worker you are, the more likely you are to get holidays. As Cheezy pointed out, working class people are unlikely to get any holidays, though even most restaurants do close for Christmas.

Whoa.. I had no idea..

How do you guys survive without long weekends!??

Well in the US military they try to give soldiers at least one four day weekend every month, so it's not quite so bad for soldiers.

Top Bottom