Lack of Later Era Units??

The difference between musket corps and infantry corps would be one unit upgrade while the difference between musket and rifle corps would be two unit upgrades assuming that corps could be seen as a unit upgrade.

This however do assume that they balance the progression from musket corps to infantry corps which mean infantry themself would not be that much stronger then muskets even tought they are two era apart.

I assume that they balance the game around that you are in the same era with culture and science.

I should say it's not corps which stands between Musketmen and Infantry, it's Cavalry and some Cannons.

The difference between musket corps and infantry corps would be one unit upgrade while the difference between musket and rifle corps would be two unit upgrades assuming that corps could be seen as a unit upgrade.

Corps can't be seen as a unit upgrade as they (allegedly) increase the base strength of the unit by 40%. So the only way a Musket corps and infantry corps can concievably be considered 1 unit apart is if the infantry is close in strengh to the musket.

Otherwise it would go musket-> M corps -> Infantry -> Infantry corps

Which runs into the problem I mentioned, no one is going to build infantry if they can build infantry corps. So it still creates the problem of me getting to Infantry before you creating a huge gap if both of us have access to corps.

I assume that they balance the game around that you are in the same era with culture and science.

This is just virtually impossible unless the players were actually restricted from specializing in one over the other, which we know we can do. If I never build a campus but spam theater districts everywhere then I'll progress through the civic tree quicker than the tech tree - the reverse also being true.

By the end of Marbozir's playthrough he's generating 50 science and 30 culture. he still has medieval civics left to learn while he begins his first renaissance civic. Conversely, all of his medival techs are finished, about half of the renaissance ones are done, and he's learning his first industrialtech. So he's more advanced in tech than he his in civics. By practically an entire era.

Of course players who keep a balance can certainly progress similarly but to suggest I can't zoom through the tech tree at a significantly faster rate than culture if I'm so inclined, pretty much removes the point of splitting up the trees and allowing for city specializations in the first place.

Population seems to generate half the culture as it does science. So if you're building campuses and no sources of culture then there's no way you would keep to your techs with your civics unless the game prohibits tech/civic expansion by tying it to the other. If it's balanced in such a way that you would keep up under that model, then doing the reverse - spamming culture with no science, would now be off balance.

There are a lot of variables to this game - if you're spending good spots, time, and resources on generating faith because you want to play the faith game, and I'm just focusing science, while your science is modest, and both of our culture is modest - I'm going to have more advanced units than you by the time we both get corps.

There's no way around that without putting in barriers. If a player is going to progress through both trees evenly then they're going to have plan it that way.

Reminder: You better have the economy y'all are posting about to support those corps of muskets, 'cause they're "gonna cost double."

Not that we know yet whether we can form them whenever we want, or even whether there is a maintenance surcharge for corps/armies.

Well, it seems fairly easy to get big bonuses on commercial districts, at least if you have a nice river valley to work with.

Well, it seems fairly easy to get big bonuses on commercial districts, at least if you have a nice river valley to work with.

Yes... but you probably won't get "city connection" or "Trade post" gold (which gave gold for population+tiles).... it seems like all gold will have to come from
-(max per empire limited) trade routes
-Commercial hubs (and Harbors)
-Luxury resources
-UIs

Yes... but you probably won't get "city connection" or "Trade post" gold (which gave gold for population+tiles).... it seems like all gold will have to come from
-(max per empire limited) trade routes
-Commercial hubs (and Harbors)
-Luxury resources
-UIs

True, but you can also reduce costs, such as via the Conscription policy. Finishing a trade route also seems to establish a "trading post" in a city. Don't know what that does, but presumably it has some impact on gold or trade.

Well, they did answer on pikemen being the only medieval (regular) infantry, didn't they?

Uh, well then I guess someone with twitter should ask them whether the units we have seen are all there is.

Here's a guess: maybe they want different tactics to work in different eras, so you can't just upgrade the same army and have it be optimal. Like, when musketmen first appear, they're good and can be the backbone of your army. But one era later, they haven't gotten an update but ranged units have (for example) so the optimal army relegates melee to a support role. And in another era, they can be upgraded and are top dog again. So there isn't a sense of melee always filling a particular role in an army, the role changes based on the availability of units.

It would lead to a warmonger having to change strategies more as time went by; the optimal renaissance army wouldn't be the optimal medieval army just upgraded. It would also make it likely that a peaceful civ that wanted to avoid spending hammers on units would go through periods of being vulnerable, as their army composition becomes outdated.

I have no idea whether this environment would be fun to play in or frustrating. Or maybe my guess is completely off. We'll see!

So I think we are missing the point, as the Corps is when you combine 2 of the same unit, then the next organization step is armies which is the combination of 3 of the same type of unit. I remember very clearly when this mechanic was announced mentioning that they were taking a page from the Civ Rev playbook with combinations. In one of the very first articles we saw they mention Riflemen and state that you begin to be able to make corps and armies as the ages pass. Specifically when you first get riflemen. The only downside of that piece is that they mention in passing that these riflemen begin at the "Napoleonic" era. I think the issue is that with such a large gap in infantry compared to cavalry and artillery, the game play becomes a little off balance. As they reveal the later era units we will know more. I will say though that if the rifleman was dumped to cut back on units then we certainly are seeing a more Civ Rev attitude towards streamlining the unit aspect of the game.

Top Bottom