Lack of Production?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by BarbarianArcher, Sep 26, 2010.

1. BarbarianArcher

BarbarianArcher Chieftain

I'm finding that production takes much longer than it did in Civ 4. In Classical Era, that warrior that should be done in 1-2 turns is done in 4-5 turns. Is this right? I play on Normal speed.

2. HannibalBarca

HannibalBarca Chieftain

Yes it's right. And yes, it's very very wrong.

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

You aren't supposed to have lots of warriors... 4-5 turns is about right for a unit 1 era back.

4. Abremms

Abremms Prince

its one of those differences that seems wrong at first, but the more you play the better it feels.

its IMPORTANT to have to CHOOSE what to build. if you can pump out a warrior every turn, you aren't going to take care of them like you will if you know it takes 5odd turns to replace. besides, if you churn them out too fast you will run out of space to put them and your economy will tank from the maintenance.

you may not like it at first glance, but once you start to see how all the systems work together in civ5, its a good change.

5. Leeksoup

Leeksoup Pope Lazius

I half-agree with this choice.

I think it's good that, given the new unit maintenance and the 1upt style, current-age units take about 7 turns to make in a production city. But I think it's unreasonable that mechanized infantry and modern armor take 14 turns to make in a production-heavy city. 14 turns! That's longer than most wars, to make a single unit! AND it was in my war city- those units take 30+ turns to make anywhere else!

I hope the mods are nice... :)

6. Abremms

Abremms Prince

yeah, wars are all about preparation now. you need to have the standing army that will do the job on hand before you declare. i kinda like that, it makes tactics even more important when you know reinforcements will be slow in coming.

7. CrimsonEdge

CrimsonEdge Warlord

An alternative to building the modern unit of your era is to simply build a bunch of units of the past era and then upgrade them when you get the new tech with some cash.

This is a major benefit of going commerce.

8. Nutteria

Nutteria Tzar

There is however one BIG FLAW.Its called Egypt+marble+tradition policy.My handing gardens took 11 turns to build on EPIC! speed compared to my 15 turns Granary.Beyond overpowered.

9. Ranbir

Ranbir Civ junkie

Yeah, seems to be greater benefits in wonder production than normal production.

I think mines should give another hammer.

But forget that, notice how no modern era tech helps economy...an era which is essentially about nothing -but- money :p

10. heartCORE

heartCORE Chieftain

Normal speed? pffft, MARATHON BABY! 14 turns for a warrior! WOOOO

11. vranasm

vranasm Deity

well why build units? take that -25% from commerce SP, that wonder that reduces purchase costs, spam TPs and you pay the equivalence of hammers in gold... and when you're at it you can take the SP for +1 sci TP

edit:
    hammers are here for gold mutlipliers buildings :-D