1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Lanan + Military State + Guardian of Nature = Midgame Beast?

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Strategy & Tips' started by elitesix, Dec 9, 2007.

1. elitesix

elitesix Chieftain

Won two games on prince as Raiding/Financial Lanun w/ Fellowship of the Leaves...went chants->mysticism, fishing->sailing, then fellowship tract, then get bronze/iron swordsman, then get guardian of nature, then get warfare.

By mid-game, my civics are usually City states or rarely God-king, Religion, Military State, Guardian of Nature, Fend for themselves (no upkeep helps keep costs down; you get plenty of health and happiness from Guardian of Nature), and Apprenticeship. They are all fairly lower end techs, so you can have this by early midgame. Your cities don't require many workers except for the trade network, and you get 3F/3C from oceans, and 3F/1H from Ancient Forests, all with a lighthouse and a little waiting.

Both games, two civs declared war on me simultaneously, I had a lot of bronze warriors and then pumped tons of swordsmen through drafting. I had my first few cities around 12+ population merely by being on the coast + lighthouse. Guardian of Nature gives you tons of happiness and health, so you really can draft the same city till it's out of population before the unhappiness becomes a serious problem. Also, you can build Lanun inland fortresses ala elves style because ancient forests give you 3F/1H (or 2F/2H) and not have to worry about their farm penalty.

Overall, good synery. Just remember to use something other than military state until you are at war, the upkeep is just not worth it.

2. vorshlumpf

vorshlumpf Emperor

Did you use Conquest at all? I would think the Lanun would be well-suited to that civic, considering their general surplus of food.

3. westamastaflash

westamastaflash Lord Commander

What difficulty were you playing this on? I find it nearly impossible to pop fellowship or runes with Lanun on Monarch+ unless you're gifted with a pearls or 2 early. Usually I can pop OO (i play on Monarch).

4. vorshlumpf

vorshlumpf Emperor

You don't need to found a religion to get it, if that's what you mean. When you research the tech, you get a disciple anyway.

5. elitesix

elitesix Chieftain

Vorshlumpf: I didn't use conquest. My upkeep costs were already way too high with Military State and Guardian of Nature so it's not very usable during wartime. Haven't tried using it in peacetime unit building though; may have to give that a try.

westmastaflash: as I said in the first line :), on prince. I also agree with vorsh, founding a religion isn't a big deal, if you don't you miss out on a little culture whatever.

6. westamastaflash

Very good point. Hmmm. Perhaps I'll try this. I just love drown... heh.

7. westamastaflash

Heh apparently I'm blind. :)

8. elitesix

elitesix Chieftain

I do find a quick Octupus Overlord rush to get Drowned and Savanus is also nice... But I still find it can't take the sustained midgame pounding this drafting combo can.

9. Caradoc

Caradoc Emperor

I'd go so far as to say that FofL is probably the least necessary religion to be the founder of. The main benefits come from the Ancient Forests and Guardian of Nature. The shrine is not particularly beneficial and you have to round up a Great Bard to build it.

10. elitesix

elitesix Chieftain

just beat the game on monarch on this combo.

on another note late game inflation is insane...something like 400% by late 600s in turns. it's also irritating that seemingly no other race efficiently deals with burning terrain? had to do all the cleansing myself, even with basium in the game,

11. westamastaflash

Nice. I like running a foreign trade lanun though, soo many coastal cities....

12. kenken244

kenken244 Grammar Nazi

I personally like to make sure that the smuggling ring is made as soon as possible- 25 gold per coastal city plus 1 trade route for all of your coastal cities for every coastal city you have...