1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Land grabbing, war or settler?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by fephisto, Jun 17, 2002.

1. fephisto

fephisto Chieftain

I want to go to higher levels and have been hearing that the only way to win is by using the AI, by taking their land. So basically I want to ask (Since I want to play regent soon to prove myself). Is it better to take land by force or by settling as much as possible?

2. Chingis Khan

Chingis Khan Scourge Of The World

You will never manage to keep up with the AI on Emporer and Diety in terms of settler production. For this reason, I let the AI spew out settlers and found cities while I build a military and take their new cities as fast as they produce them.
    On Regent, you should be able to keep up with, or surpass the AI in settler production; so I guess it's up to you how you want to play it. My advice? Go to war ASAP and stay at war until you own the world (It's more fun) !!!

3. spincrus

spincrus sol invictus...

I have difficulty even surviving without land grabbing on the Monarch level. Sometimes Quantity is more important than Quality.

In a hard level the best thing to do is to get a good start, and land grabbing as much as you can.

4. Zouave

Zouave Crusader

This land-grabbing idiocy, called Settler Diarrhea, first of all is a cheat as the AI could never honestly build all those settlers and foot soldiers it pewks out, plus they often teleport themselves to open tiles they shouldn't even know exist, that as they arrogantly wander through my territory.

Invariably, AI towns are built in stupid places all over. I wait until I have a good civ, and maybe swordsmen or knights, and then attack them. They are impossible to defend well being so isolated, plus they produce little for their AI civ owing to crazy corruption. So Settler Diarrhea in the long run works against the AI, but it is dumb and annoying.

5. fephisto

fephisto Chieftain

I did a test. Settlers vs wars. Both on warlord diffuctly (as to give the settlers a chance). I have found out that by 1500 BC my civ got quite an empire through wars (thanks to trusty despotism whip also). And as my settlers were in 500 AD still didn't have as much cities as my war countries. So let this be a lesson to us all, using the AI is better.

BTW on my war country I didn't build one settler

6. God

God God

Wars a better overall. They also mean that another civ is going down, not just you going up. Plus there's workers to get and money and techs to grab. And it ensures you a greater lead over your neighbours.

7. Knight-Dragon

Knight-Dragon Unhidden Dragon Retired Moderator

War is also more fun but sometimes, a mixture of the two can be just as effective. Personally I think creating a core set of productive cities and then use these to produce an army and then attk the surrounding civs till you occupy the entire island-continent is a good strat. I refuse to have neighbours. :D