Landmarks

Maybe we're looking at this too hard to balance it versus artifacts. What if improving a Landmark meant you got instant GAP and WLTKD to whatever plot belonged to the city? If we're still not satisfied, it can also grant one of the 4 random type of generic great people: an inspiration for your great scientist, engineers, merchants, or civil servants.

Don't forget that you also build landmarks in other civilization's territory to deny them artifact bonuses.

http://civ-5-cbp.wikia.com/wiki/Landmark

Not a huge fan of that tbh.

How about just make all landmarks the same strength (probably drop the whole era-scaling we have on them in favor of certain increases on certain techs, like most other improvements work) and then buff/nerf them to a point where people can't agree what the best choice would be.

It would be nice if there was some distinct difference in yield-type between the Landmark and the Artifact, just so that the choice would feel more like a choice and less like a calculation, but the landmark is the culture improvement and I really don't want to move away from that.

Well, RNG or not, non-ancient landmarks are awful.

EDIT: Yeah I know how they work, but there's no real good reason why some landmarks(ancient) should be way better than others(renaissance), as renaissance artifacts are just as good as ancient artifacts.

Yes but I don't care about the super late game - I care about when landmarks are first available and stay as they are for 2 eras. It's a bad choice, especially against artifacts.

I appreciate tu's line of thought...though I want to change the alignment a little. Landmarks already show up rarely in my own territory (he said 1 per 3 cities) - and I need to consider not breaking up other tiles. I'm almost coming to the mentality that Landmarks should be good enough that it should be a no-brainer to pick Landmark if you can work it. It's not as though there isn't plenty of artifacts out there to be gotten in neutral places. A beta with super Landmarks just to test the idea and see how it pans out could be interesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom