Landsknecth / Mercenary Army

How about Industrial Finance:

The Policy provides a :c5production: bonus for markets/banks/stock exchanges, or adding a :c5production: boost to external trade routes.

Even a combination that adds +1 :c5production: to gold buildings and +2 :c5production: to external trade routes would fit in the tree.

This fits the theme of "Building stuff in your cities," especially now that all items are 20% more expensive.

Landschnects have a promo that allow them to march and attack on the turn they are purchased rather than having to wait, and for me this was their most interesting and useful feature.. Why not make a policy that allows all purchased units to march and attack on the first turn. That would be universally useful in all ages. Though I realize this might make more sense in honor.
I like this idea a lot, though it's a bit weak with just that effect. Perhaps also give a discount for purchasing units in combination.

This is a bit of a sidestep, but how about putting privateers on the buy only thing, as well as Landschnects?

As for the policy, how about a 50% discount to purchasing units or something similar?

As for the policy, how about a 50% discount to purchasing units or something similar?
50% is way too much, but otherwise I like this. Simple, to the flavor, and something unique :)

Also there's not many policies that are for war/conquest after honor, so adding some to Commerce might make sense. Construction is already there, but some military specific might be nice.

Landsknechts: Do not cost mantainance and are stronger, but dispappear after 50 turns.

I'm not sure how interesting just a discount for unit buys will be.

That promotion (being able to use it the same turn) however sounds interesting, as well as maybe a similar naval unit.

Btw. are reduced maintenance from city connections still around somewhere?

You mean roads? It's an option but I don't think it is active anywhere no. I've been sort of lobbying to have one of the duplicated commerce effects (the crazy high production+gold bonuses) replace by that, or to replace this with it, whichever is easier to get rid of. And possibly bump the city connection value 15-25% with the same policy as well.

Unit buy discount doesn't add that much either I'd have to agree there. It's still better than the current system though.

I'm not all that excited by that promotion either. It's nice, but unless you're binge buying at the start of a war (started by not building enough units ahead of time to look weaker than you really are?), it's not that often you'd get much out of it I should think. Particularly from a mid-game tree.

That promotion (being able to use it the same turn) however sounds interesting, as well as maybe a similar naval unit.

Whoward69 has a mod component that allows units to move on the same turn as they're puchased but this requires a dll so it seems likely that it can't be done without dll modding.

\Skodkim

A really fun policy would be to be able to buy enemy troops in your territory with gold. That way you can simply buy off the advancing army and send it back home to cause carnage. Is this possible to code though?

I think there is a reason that hasn't been in civ since civ2 as I recall. It was really easy to exploit.

It basically encourages hording gold instead of building units, then buying off the troops as they set foot in your territory, killing the rest of theirs,... and then suiciding/pillaging into their territory so you can repeat it later.

I'm also not aware of many historical instances of an entire army unit being bought off to fight for the other side. More commonly they're bought off to sit out a battle.

What if you limited buying enemy troops to a single time? That way you could buy all the enemy troops in your territory once. The timing of it could be tricky though (maybe make it an unlocked feature on a great merchant, and give it a limited range (2 tiles?). This would be the most active and limited version.

Also the effect could be based on faith or culture? Enemy troops are so moved by your civ that they convert. This could be a time based feature to synergise with long defensive wars. Enemy troops have a 5-10% chance of converting to your side every turn they end in your territory.

If you're gonna go for the buy off, maybe make it so buying them off pushes them out of your borders to simulate the whole paid off for one battle thing? Plus it would be too op then?

Also now that I think about it gold from tourism maybe should be from a building not a social policy?

Merсenary can have some uniq features:

1 If you have unit with high level - every turn it have chance to attract mercenary.

2 Every merc unit make it easy to spy on player (like 10 merc units give -30 spying).

3 If you make something like "revolutions" (as in civ4) - every merc create instability empire wide.

4 Every merc unit have hidden (or visible) nationality attribute, if unit with attribute "portugal" attack portugal unit \ city where will be chance that it will change sides. And attacking some anatagonist empire will give bonus).

5 Every merc rise support cost geometricaly or even exponentialy.

Top Bottom