1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Language translations for leader sayings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I have a question about Tajan. When he denounces you, he mentions something about empires with more laws are more corrupt. Is this a historical quote?

2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

It's a saying attributed to Tacitus.

3. JH3

JH3 Chieftain

Thank you so much for your tremendous endeavor here.
    So often AI leaders will interject with inscrutable sayings like this, leaving me wondering if they happy, angry, or just a busy-body. The graphics don't help much either. I am bookmarking this thread!
    This announcement by Gandhi is particularly ambiguous. Is he saying he is not ashamed of the arsenal he has amassed? That I should be careful not to provoke him? Or is he complimenting me on my armaments?
    From this it seems there is something I have done that he likes. Good for me, at least for a moment. Soon afterward Gandhi's attitude may change, so I don't think this proclamation from him means I have his complete approval, just partial.
    Thanks again!

4. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

No worries! Gandhi's quotes are indeed curious (if only because the developers did not clarify what he means when he has an agenda-based approval). I notice other reactions DO have explanatory brackets (i.e. you are settling your cities too close, you possess cities they previously owned, etc).

5. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Considering what David Siers, the voice actor for Kamehameha told us, voice actors have no say in the text.

6. Morningcalm

I think they can make corrections for grammar, etc though, no?

ales_ likes this.
  7. oroniel

oroniel Chieftain

So super disappointed when I finally met Gilgamesh and he was speaking Akkadian!

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  8. Guandao

Can someone upload Jadwiga's lines onto Soundcloud, maybe Redkhan? :)
    There are several videos of her speaking on youtube. So far, I've seen her intro, attacked, and defeated scenes.

I'm sure Polish speakers can translate her lines and see if they match the in-game text.

ales_ likes this.
  9. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Done. :)
    https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/jadwiga

Although it's trickier this time, sound files are actually in the DLC02_Speech.bnk file and when extracted the filenames don't match any number in the DLC02_Speech.txt or DLC02_Speech.xml file, so I can only guess which is which.

Here are the ingame translation, so somebody with the knowledge of the language can figure that out (I can only guess since it's a Slavic language and I can understand some bits):
    Pep Talk: Whoever serves God has a good master. (0003.wav?) Note: No idea where this comes from, it doesn't come up on Google.
    Declare war from human (attacked): So, you show your true nature: a serpent lying in the grass… easily trampled. (0004.wav?)
    Declare war from AI (declare war): I must protect the interests of Poland. Surrender quickly so that this may end without bloodshed. (0001.wav?)
    First meet (intro): A meeting blessed by God, I am sure. I am Jadwiga the King of Greater Poland. Yes, a king. (0005.wav?)
    Kudos (agenda approval): I see you have found God’s wisdom, and that you share it with the world. Good. (0002.wav?)
    Warning (agenda disapproval): Everyday, I pray for your soul, that you find the wisdom of the Lord. (0007.wav?)
    Defeat: No, I am not ready to leave God’s service. I am just beginning his good work! (0006.wav?)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  10. Morningcalm

Those are the in-game translations yeah. Once we get a Polish speaker to get the actual translations for us I can update the parent post. :D

11. Guandao

Now that Australia is released, can someone upload John Curtin's lines on Soundcloud?

ales_ and Metalz like this.
  12. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Done:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/john-curtin

Declare War: After thorough deliberation, Australia finds itself at a crossroads. Prepare yourself, war is upon us.
    Attacked: We will mobilize every means of resistance to stop this transgression against our nation!
    Agenda disapproval ("Warning"): War can only bring us loss. Loss of lives, loss of productivity, loss of our very humanity!
    Defeat: The principles for which we have fought will survive longer than any nation you could ever build.
    Introduction ("First meet"): John Curtin, I speak for the people of Australia as their Prime Minister. We seek sympathetic allies in the fight against the hawks of war.
    Agenda Approval ("Kudos"): I commend your perseverance. We share a common interest in protecting those who often cannot protect themselves.
    Civilopedia quote ("Pep talk"): I believe that there is in Australia today an intense love of country, greater in its expression than has yet been called forth at any previous period in Australia’s history.

13. Morningcalm

Added the John Curtin lines to the parent post. :)

14. Guandao

Only Youtube videos of Cyrus and Alexander speaking which I have found so far.

Their lines in English according to the files
    Cyrus
    Agenda-based Approval: I understand all too well, there are some opportunities one simply can't pass up.
    Agenda-based Disapproval: If there's deception afoot, I prefer it when I am the one providing the intrigue.
    Attacked: Have you not heard the tales? The storied might of my armies? See for yourself.
    Declares War: It is time I show your people how they might fare under a competent ruler.
    Defeated: So rarely have I seen this side of war.
    Greeting: You stand before the great Cyrus of Persia. I'm sure we'll be become fast friends, at least for the time being.
    Pep Talk: Do not be distressed by the slurs of our enemies, nor enticed by the praise of our allies. Trust in yourselves or no one at all.

Alexander
    Agenda-based Approval:
    I hope we never meet in battle, it would be a shame to lose such a worthy foe.
    Agenda-based Disapproval: How do you intend on growing your empire if you refuse to fight for your people?!
    Attacked: Peace was never of all that much interest to me anyway.
    Declares War: The armies of Greece await you with open arms!
    Defeated: Just as quickly as it began, my long march finally comes to end.
    Greeting: Greetings! I am Alexander of Macedon, the King and the Pharaoh, the undefeated General of Greece! Surely you've heard of me?
    Pep Talk: I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.

Cyrus seems to be speaking Persian instead of Aramaic, while Alexander is obviously speaking some form of Greek.
    It would be appreciated if their lines are uploaded to Soundcloud. :)

15. magha77

magha77 Warlord

Cyrus sounds like he is speaking pure Persian that is still spoken in Zoroastrian temples. It's Farsi without any Arabic or French words.

16. Morningcalm

That's not very realistic, is it? I guess they decided to eschew realism to satisfy the Iranians who kept whining that Darius in Civ V spoke Aramaic (which was the official language of the Persian empire at the time).

If someone can get Cyrus' lines uploaded on SoundCloud or such, I'll search around for Farsi speakers. Surely, some Iranians fluent in Farsi play Civ VI and can help.

Alexander sounds similar to the voice actor who did Alexander in Civ V--maybe it's the same person? They both sound *way* too perky, but we will have no idea what they are actually saying without any ancient Greek speakers around.

17. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Done. :)
    Cyrus
    Alexander

18. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

My Ancient Greek is only so-so, but I can do my best with transcribing Alexander's lines...

Greeting: Χαῖρε! Ἀλέξανδρoς ὁ Μακεδών ειμι, βασιλεὺς καὶ φαραώ, ὁ ἀήσσητος στρατηγὸς τῆς Ἑλλάδος. Ἆρ' οὐκ ἀκήκοας πέρι μοῦ; (Hi! I am Alexander the Macedonian, king and pharaoh, the unconquered general of Greece. You have heard of me, no?)

I'll try to transcribe the rest later.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Uberfrog likes this.
  19. ales_

ales_ Heir

Why not? Aramaic was only introduced by Darius, so it makes sense.

magha77 likes this.
  20. Morningcalm

I suppose. But this doesn't seem to be old Persian per se, so not the native language of Persia in any event. The official language of the empire was Aramaic, even if that was later, and Darius was alive at the time of Cyrus; so it's reasonable to infer many of the old Persian rulers knew Aramaic and/or spoke it, no?