1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Language translations for leader sayings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 8, 2016.

1. SeelingCat

SeelingCat Chieftain

It's not translated - just transcribed. I just wrote down what it sounds like she's saying. I have no idea what the words mean though. Other than my guess that ashrik (could also be 'Ashriq potentially) sounds like it could be an Arabic plural of some sort, or could be a 2nd-person possessive with the gender ending dropped.

2. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

I'll try to do it this week.
    For the future - I don't frequently visit the forums, but you can PM me about it, so I got an e-mail about it.

Here I wrote a bit how I did it.
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...c-leader-dialogue-files.600525/#post-14519011

Although it's a bit different for DLC and even varies from one DLC to another, but the tools used are the same.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I have an idea where to get help for translating the Nubian dialogue. One of my former Professors runs an Endangered Language Alliance in the city. He seems to be familiar with Nilo-Saharan languages to some extent. I will try asking him for help. Otherwise, I think I spotted at least one linguistic book about Nubian languages in my university library. I remember borrowing it before, but I'm not sure how comprehensive it is. There are more books for Swahili and Hausa than Nubian languages sadly.

4. SeelingCat

SeelingCat Chieftain

I also sent a tweet to Ed Beach as well asking if he could share what language it was - but so far no response.

5. Guandao

It is probable he doesn't know, I think a recording studio is in charge of the voice acting.

6. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Yes. I believe it is outsourced. The name of the company is in the game credits.

7. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I wonder how much direction Firaxis gives to the voice recording company--do they indicate the languages the leaders should speak? The type of tone? Do they share the leader graphics/animations? (I guess that follows the voice recording for match up purposes)...

8. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Based on what I've heard from other game companies that use voice actors, they probably send the script, a rough animation of the character's range of expression, and guidance for the attitude of each line.

9. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

10. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

Also, I asked a scholar of Arabic what languages it is and he said it's "Nubian dialect of Arabic, which is the mix of Nubian and Arabic". For example, he was able to understand all of intro line, but only a couple of words from the dowed line.

Guandao, Metalz and Uberfrog like this.
  11. Guandao

Interesting, I tried looking up Nubian Arabic dialect and all I got were the Nubian languages and Sudanese Arabic dialect. I think my Sudanese friend would have recognized Amanitore's dialogue as Sudanese Arabic but she didn't. Is her First Greeting line all entirely in Arabic, since that scholar was able to understand it? I'm guessing the language is modern Nobiin language, which probably has a lot of Arabic borrowings. I'm not sure a distinct Nubian Arabic dialect exists.

Tried looking for the book on Modern Nubian languages in my Uni library, but failed to find it. I spotted several books on Old Nubian texts, but I can't read the Old Nubian script (it looks similar to Greek alphabet, but I haven't trained myself to read that either). Some other books on Nubian are offsite. I might have to resort to online resources for this.

12. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

If I understood him correctly it's a macaronic language which is spoken, for example, in southern Egypt.

Maybe it's just all the words are Arabic, but the grammatical structure is Nubian? I'll try to clarify it with him.

13. Guandao

OK, I borrowed two Kikongo Dictionaries (one in Spanish, other in French) and one Lingala (in English) Dictionary from my uni library, just to confirm which language Mvemba a Nzinga is actually speaking in.

I found out the two languages share many words in common, for example Mbote (Good/Greeting), Ganga (Priest/religious expert), Nzambe/Nzambi (God), so this makes determining the language pretty difficult.

I'm leaning towards Kikongo though. Mbote can mean both Good and Greeting, while in Lingala it only means greeting (according to the dictionary). Mvemba uses this word quite a lot in his sentences in contexts that mean good.

I'm not an expert in the grammar of these languages to fully translate Mvemba's lines though. Plus the Kikongo books vocabulary is pretty limited. I'm definitely sure some of them don't match the text given in-game. He doesn't say Kongo in his Declare War speech ,for example.

14. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Chieftain

Responding a bit late on this one, but I translated Alexander's lines and put them up in the wiki a few months back:

Agenda-based Approval: I hope we never meet in battle, it would be a shame to lose such a worthy foe. (Μή ποτε μαχώμεθα. Ἀισχρόν εἴην ἀπολλύναι ἀνταγωνιστήν οὑτως ἐπαινετόν. / Mē poté makhṓmetha. Aiskhrṓn eíēn apollýnai antagōnistḗn hoútōs epainetón.)
    [Note: "ἄν" should have been used together with "εἴην" since it was intended to be a potential optative.]

Agenda-based Disapproval: How do you intend on growing your empire if you refuse to fight for your people?! (Τινί τρόπῳ ἀυξήσεις τὴν σὴν ἀρχήν, εἰ οὐ τοῦ λαοῦ ἕνεκα μάχησει; / Tiní trópo auxḗseis tḗn sḗn arkhḗn eí ou tou laoú éneka máchesai?)

Attacked: Peace was never of all that much interest to me anyway. (Ἡ εἰρήνη οὔποτε μ'ἔτερπε μάλα. / Ē eirḗrē ou poté m'éterpe mála.)

Declares War: The armies of Greece await you with open arms! (Αἱ τῆς Ἑλλάδος στρατιαί σε περιμένουσι μετά τῶν ἀσπασμάτων! / Haí tēs Elládos stratiaí se periménousi metá tōn aspasmátōn!)
    [Note: It would be more correct to say "ασπασμών" (aspasmṓn) here.]

Defeated: Just as quickly as it began, my long march finally comes to end. (Ὡς μὲν ταχέως ἄρχετο, νῦν δὲ τέλος ἥχει ἡ ἐμή ἀνάβασις. / Ōs mén takhéōs árkheto, nyn de télos hēkheí hē emé anábasis.)

Greeting: Greetings! I am Alexander of Macedon, the King and the Pharaoh, the undefeated General of Greece! Surely you've heard of me? (Χαῖρε. Ἀλέξανδρος ὁ Μακεδών εἰμί, βασιλεῦς καί φαραώ, ὁ αησσῆτος στρατηγός τῆς Ἑλλάδος. Ἆρ' οὐ ἀκήκοας περί μου; / Khaíre. Aléxandros ho Makedṓn eimí, basileús kaí pharaṓ, ho aēssḗtos stratēgos tēs Elládos. Aroú akḗkoas perí mou?)

I made some initial mistakes and I didn't use polytonic, the final version was made by several other wiki contributors after me who also added the transliterated characters, so credit to them as well.

The other Greek translations (Gorgo and Pericles) also have some lines in modern monotonic instead of polytonic which are mine. Plus I wasn't able to make out one of Gorgo's lines. If anyone is able to use a polytonic keyboard, it'd be great if they took care of those lines as well.

To add the linguistic and historical details as well:

1) Gorgo speaks the Doric dialect of ancient Greek recognizable from the fact the long "e" (η) sound in most words is instead replaced by the long "a" sound (α). So you have "αγεμών" instead of "ηγεμών" (hegemon).
    2) Pericles speaks very standard classical Attic Greek.
    3) Alexander also speaks Attic Greek (the official language of the Macedonian court), but Macedonians at that point would more correctly speak a northern dialect similar to Thessalian or Lesbian ( ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ) Greek.
    4) Gorgo's line where she declares war on the player is part of the famous Melian dialogue (the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must).
    5) Pericles's lines when you declare war on him and when he is defeated are both paraphrasing actual quotes by Pericles mentioned in Thucydides's work.

As for pep talk lines, I could only translate Alexander and Pericles's:

Alexander: Ου μέν φοβούμαι των λεόντων στρατιάν αγομένην οιί, αλλά των οιών στρατιάν αγομένην λέοντι (I do not fear an army of lions lead by a sheep, but an army of sheep led by a lion).
    Pericles: Δε ζημίας μεγίστη τό υπό πονηρότερου άρχεσθαι, εάν μη αυτός εθέλη άρχειν (It is one of the greatest punishments to be led by your inferiors when you don't want to lead yourself) Note: This is actually a quote fro Plato's Republic and it's not a Pericles quote. The attributed pep talk translation in the first page is incorrect and also not an actual quote from Pericles.

I couldn't quite understand what Gorgo said, but I might try to listen to it again at some point later.

Morningcalm, Siptah and Guandao like this.
  15. Guandao

It's nice to know Gorgo is speaking in a Doric dialect as opposed to Attic dialect which some Youtubers claim.

Now we need to find someone to translate Gandhi's Hindi lines, and type out the Arabic for Saladin. I'll continue trying to translate Monty's lines. For Mvemba a Nzinga and Amanitore, finding a fluent speaker is key. Those Kikongo books I borrowed are limited in their vocabulary.

16. Piruparka

Piruparka Chieftain

Most of Frederick's lines are missing in the starting post although they have been mentioned here.

17. Morningcalm

Thanks, Basileus Rhomaion! Your translations have been added (due to running out of space, I had to move Alexander to post 3 on the first page). Notably, the Pericles Pep Talk translation on the first page was from in-game, so I've added a note to the front page there.

Also updated Frederick's lines--they were not missing, but some of the transliterations differed slightly so I have added them to the original ones.

18. Basileus Rhomaion

I don't blame them, the Greek-speaking leaders in the game are talking with a reconstructed pronunciation, but it's really inconsistent due to the fact the voice actors are modern Greek native speakers. Aspirated consonants are often pronounced as non-aspirated (mostly with Alexander) and sometimes they "slip" and pronounce diphthongs like in modern Greek (e.g. "αι" as "ε").

No problem :)

By the way, small correction in the first page: The Gorgo greeting line which is shown was the first (quite incorrect) wiki entry. I modified it and Guandao has posted the correct one along the rest of Gorgo's lines in a previous post.

19. Morningcalm

Thanks, I must have missed Guandao's Gorgo post--which page was it on?

20. Basileus Rhomaion