1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Language translations for leader sayings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

A quick question to these versed in Classical Greek: is it accurate that Gorgo would describe herself as queen of Σπάρτα (Sparta)?

I was under the impression the ancient term for the city-state was Λακεδαίμων (Lakedaimon), hence the lambda on their shields.

2. Basileus Rhomaion

Basileus Rhomaion Chieftain

Σπάρτα (or Σπάρτη in Attic) was the name of the city and later evolved to mean the political entity. Λακεδαίμων was used to refer to the entire political entity from the get-go. The terms were used interchangeably from a point onward, but from their roots you can view it like this: A Spartan (someone living in the city of Sparta) was always a Lacedaemonian, but a Lacedaemonian wasn't necessarily a Spartan.

Also, Λακεδαίμων/Λακεδαιμονία was often used to refer to the entire region of Laconia. Not sure if this an etymological link or whether Laconia also became nearly indistinguishable from the Spartan political entity of the region like Sparta/Lacedaemon.

Uberfrog likes this.
  3. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

I'm here to revive this thread.
    I wonder if there will be people able to translate Gitarja's and Jayavarman VII's dialogues. I'm assuming Gitarja will be speaking some archaic form of Javanese, like Gajah Mada did in Civ5. And Jayavarman VII will be speaking an archaic form of Khmer.
    Given the lack of experts here on those languages, I'm seeing this taking a while.

4. Chasethemage

Chasethemage Chieftain

I can help with Khmer, I'm fluent

5. Guandao

I eagerly await the SE Asian DLC to hear the languages spoken by Jayavarman VII and Gitarja. Hopefully, they are not modern Khmer and Indonesian.

6. Guandao

@Red Khan
    How about uploading the leader dialogue for Jayavarman VII and Gitarja on Soundcloud? :D

Any Khmer and Indonesian speakers here? Can you verify whether the new leaders' languages are Modern or archaic?

7. Chasethemage

Chasethemage Chieftain

I can help with Khmer

Unless it's archaic Khmer

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2017
    Guandao likes this.
  8. Guandao

I'll try to search for videos of Jayavarman VII speaking online once a certain youtuber releases them.

9. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

Sure, I'll do it on this weekend. :)

10. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

11. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

The Indonesian one looks similar to contemporary common Javanese, unlike the Gajah Mada one that seems ancient and regal.

Siptah likes this.
  12. Chasethemage

Chasethemage Chieftain

I've heard Jayavarman VII speak on another YouTuber's let's play, Jayavarman seems to speak modern Khmer

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    Siptah likes this.
  13. Guandao

A Youtuber posted the first meetings for Jayavarman VII and Gitarja

Civilopedia Quote for Gitarja: When the land is not enough, set sail. The ocean shall reveal more land.
    Attacked: Truly? Didn't you know my vengeance puts monsoons to shame? Soon you will.
    Declares War: Before this war ends, you will know the fury of a thousand ships.
    Greeting: I am Gitarja, Indonesia's queen and protector. Those who thought us weak litter the ocean floor.
    Agenda Approval: You avoid the smaller shores. Such deference is noted—and well-regarded.
    Agenda Disapproval: You cannot keep hold of your island territories. You should deliver them to someone who can.
    Defeated: The dream of Nusantara is lost to the turning tide.

Civilopedia Quote for Jayavarman VII: Provide for your people. To do less is to be less.
    Attacked: War, then? Fools think fortune is on their side. Who will you blame when yours runs out?
    Declares War: Your actions reveal your desire for war. The Khmer shall oblige you.
    Greeting: I am Jayavarman VII, and the Khmer allow me to lead them. Their suffering is my suffering.
    Agenda Approval: Ending spiritual suffering is just as important as easing physical distress. You understand this.
    Agenda Disapproval: How can your people attain the divine without examples of divinity?
    Defeated: One gains humility in defeat. I pray you are granted the most humility of all.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  14. Civciv5

Civciv5 Grand Emperor

A little note: Gitarja refers to "Indonesia" in her intro, which is very anachronistic and annoying.

Indonesia is derived from Greek, and is not attested until the 19th century. The realm she should be referring to is Nusantara, which is the name of the Malay archipelago used since ancient times.

conorbebe and Guandao like this.
  15. Guandao

Either the Dialogue Writer didn't care, or was instructed by Firaxis to put that in Gitarja's intro. Who knows?

16. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

That's unfortunate. Looks like Gajah Mada from Civ V was better on the language front (he refers to Nusantara in his intro rather than Indonesia, for one thing).

17. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Meanwhile, Montezuma I used "emperador de las Aztecas" in Civ V.

The first tlatoani to be exposed to the Spanish language was Montezuma II.

18. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Well, at least they used Nahuatl. Rameses II used Arabic. Civ V was a mixed bag in languages: you had praise for Enrico Dandolo's Venetian and Darius' Aramaic, but annoyance at the aforementioned Montezuma and Rameses II.

19. BenZL43

BenZL43 coassistentschap

Sang Gitarja ta aku. Ratu ning kalawan pangraksa ning Indonesia. Sinten na ikang kumirah aku tanpa bisa lumrah aning dasar ing samudra.
    The Gitarja (is) me. Queen (in) and protector (in) Indonesia. Whoever ....... (see note) .... the floor of ocean.

T/N
    The bolded words are spellings that I am confident of.
    1. There is ta or tah" in Javanese as suffix, but mostly to add emphasis, tag question or express doubtfulness.
    Iya tah? means is it? Therefore in this context, it will sounds like she herself are not sure if she is really Gitarja.

2. ning actually means "of", so I figure it might be a compound of :"Ratu ning Indonesia" + "Pangraksa ning Indonesia".
    Kalawan is "and". It is used to connect both sentences into compound. Raksa or reksa is guardian. Pang or peng should then refer to "the one who.."

3. I still don't quite get the last sentence. Aku tanpa bisa lumrah means I can not be ordinary. Aning means if.
    Therefore it will mean I can not be ordinary if the floor of ocean. This doesn't looks right at all.

Well, after all, I'm not a native Javanese speaker. Learnt it from everyday use haha. I wish @kul will check this thread and help out.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Red Khan and Guandao like this.
  20. Guandao

Is it basically modern Javanese language? or modern mixed with archaic?