1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Language translations for leader sayings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

You are certainly welcome. :)

Playlist with Gitarja's lines:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/gitarja

Playlist with Jayavarman's lines:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/jayavarman-vii
    @Chasethemage

I also updated Jadwiga's playlist, so that filenames are more meaningful now. I wonder why nobody did the translation yet. :confused:

Did you see the subtitles in the video? This sentence is "translated" as "Those who though us weak litter the ocean floor".

From experience in this and previous threads we learned that sometimes it's easier to look at English text, since the lines first are written in English and then given to a translator and after that to a voice actor. Sometimes the translator can mistranslate and the actor can mispronounce words which can lead to incomprehensive phrases.
    The lines in English for this DLC can be found in DLC\Indonesia_Khmer\Text\en_US\Indonesia_Khmer_Text.xml file.

Guandao likes this.
  2. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Someone translated Jadwiga's lines and put in on the Civilization Wiki:

Agenda-based Approval: I see you have found God’s wisdom, and that you share it with the world. Good. (Widzę, iż mądrość boską znalazłeś i dzielisz się nią ze światem. Radam.)
    Agenda-based Disapproval: Everyday, I pray for your soul, that you find the wisdom of the Lord. (Co dzień modlę się o duszę twoją, iż odnajdziesz mądrość Pana.)
    [Note: It would be more grammatically correct for this line to use "every day" instead of "everyday."]

Attacked: So, you show your true nature: a serpent lying in the grass… easily trampled. (Pokazujesz więc swą prawdziwą naturę: Wąż wijący się w trawie, łatwo zdeptany.)

Declares War: I must protect the interests of Poland. Surrender quickly so that this may end without bloodshed. (Interesów Polski bronić muszę, poddaj się czym prędzej, by zapobiec rozlewowi krwi.)

Defeated: No, I am not ready to leave God’s service. I am just beginning his good work! (Nie, nie gotowam zaprzestać służyć Bogu. Zaczynam jeno jego dobrą pracę!)

Greeting: A meeting blessed by God, I am sure. I am Jadwiga the King of Greater Poland. Yes, a king. (Spotkanie przez Boga błogosławione, pewnam tego. Jam Jadwiga, Król Polski.)

I like how both Gitarja and Jayavarman VII laugh when the player declares war on them. :lol:

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Added those Jadwiga lines to the opening page of this thread. :)

4. Guandao

Here's kul's post in the Indonesia First Look video thread. Maybe his friend can translate Gitarja's dialogue?

5. Guandao

OK, someone added this to the Civilization wiki for Jayavarman VII's lines, @Morningcalm, can you update?

Agenda-based Approval: Ending spiritual suffering is just as important as easing physical distress. You understand this. (ដោយសារកាបញ្ចប់ទុកវេតនាផ្លូវចិត្ត គឺចាំបាច់ខ្លាំងណាស់ ដូចគ្នានឹងការសំរួលផ្លូវចិត្តផងដែរ។ / Daoysaar ka banhchob touk vetenea phleuchett ki chabach khlang nahh dōchkneanung kar saamm ruol phleuchett paang dair.)
    Agenda-based Disapproval: How can your people attain the divine without examples of divinity? (តើប្រជានរាស្រ្គរបស់ព្រះអង្អចូលទៅជិតព្រះអង្គយ៉ាងដូចម្តេច? បើគ្នានការនែនាំពីសេចក្តីល្អទេនោះ។ / Tae brachea noreah robahh preah ang choul teuw chit preahang yeang dōchmdech? Baei kmien kar nei nuam pi sechktei lak ah te noh?)
    Attacked: War, then? Fools think fortune is on their side. Who will you blame when yours runs out? (សង្គ្រាម? ចុះបន្តាប់គីជាអ្វី? មនុស្សល្ងងតែងតែគិតថាជោកវាស្នានិងនៅជាមួយពួកគេ តើអ្នកណាអ្នកនិងស្តីបន្ទោសនៅពេលព្រះអង្អគិតដូចច្នេះ? / Sangkream? Choh bantuab ki chea avei? Mnouhh longoong tengte ketthea chok veasnah neng neuw cheamuoy puokke. Tae neaknar neng stei bantohh neuwpel preah ang ket dauch chneh?)
    Declares War: Your actions reveal your desire for war. The Khmer shall oblige you. (Ahmbuah robah Preah Ang banghanh bi chettanah bangkar somkrieam haey. (អំពើរបស់ព្រះអង្គបង្ហាញពីចេតនាបង្កសង្គ្រាមហើយប្រជានរាស្រ្គខ្មែរត្រូវតែផ្តល់ការបព្វកិច្ចអោយព្រះអង្គ។ / Ampeu robahh preah ang banghanh pi chetnea bangkah sangkream haey brachea noreahh khmer trauvte phdal kar bapp aoy preah ang.)
    Defeated: One gains humility in defeat. I pray you are granted the most humility of all. (បុគ្គលមានចិត្ត សន្តោសគង់បរាជ័យ យើងបូងសួងអោយព្រះអង្គ បានទទួលសេចក្តីសន្តោសសំរាប់មនុស្សគ្រប់គ្នា។ / Bokkol meanchett santohh kong barachei yeung boung suong aoy preah ang bahn totuol sechktei santohh saamrabb mnouhh grobknea.)
    Greeting: I am Jayavarman VII, and the Khmer allow me to lead them. Their suffering is my suffering. (ព្រះនាមជ័យវវ្ន័នទី៧ហើយដែរប្រជានរាស្រ្តខ្មែរយាងយើងអោយដឹកនាំពួកគេ សេចក្តីទុកសោករបស់ពួកគេ គឺជាសេចក្តីទុកសោករបស់ទូលបង្គំ។ / Preahneam Jayavarman ti brambi haey der brachie nrea khmer yeang yeung aoy doekneak puokke. Sechktei touk saok robahh puokke kuchea sechktei touk saok robahh toulbangkoum.)

6. Wielki Hegemon

Wielki Hegemon Chieftain

Agenda-based Approval: I see you have found God’s wisdom, and that you share it with the world. Good. (Widzę, iż mądrość boską znalazłeś i dzielisz się nią ze światem. Radam.)
    "Radam" is old polish. It means "I am happy with this" not "good"

Guandao and Thormodr like this.
  7. Morningcalm

Updated! Thanks guys!

What language/dialect is Jayavarman VII speaking?

8. Guandao

It's Khmer. The wiki says "formal Khmer".

9. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

I hadn’t seen this thread before I don’t think. But, really, thank you for doing this and updating it, @Morningcalm. I’m gonna go over it slowly but surely. It looks terribly interesting. Gracias.

Guandao likes this.
  10. Morningcalm

Thanks! I get the easiest job--I just compile and maintain records, and occasionally fix grammar. I salute the translators! Of course, I'll probably do some translation for Seondeok when the lines are all released.

(Guandao, I added "formal Khmer" as Jayavarman VII's language, by the way.)

sonicmyst, Ondolindë and Guandao like this.
  11. Guandao

I think "formal Khmer" isn't the same as the Old Khmer Jayavarman VII would be speaking in real life, but at least they made it different from Modern Khmer.
    I'm hoping someone translates Gitarja's lines and add it to the Civilization wiki. Her language is probably not modern Indonesian or Javanese, hence the lack of translation so far.
    Same goes for any untranslated leader.

12. 6uho Koe

6uho Koe Chieftain

I found someone on youtube who transliterated all of Gitarja's lines. Apparently, it seems she is speaking Modern Javanese but Krama Inggil dialect, which is a very formal polite form of conversation, mainly spoken by older people.
    The lines in parentheses are in-game lines while the lines above are transliteration of Krama Inggil.

Agenda-based Approval: Sira angedohi pasir ikang luwih alit. Kawigaten, pro pranaya ikan lan ingaranan ahayu.
    (You avoid the smaller shores. Such deference is noted—and well-regarded.)

Agenda-based Disapproval: Sira datan bisa anggegem wisayaning nusa panusanira. Abeciking aweha ring wong ingkang wenanga.
    (You cannot keep hold of your island territories. You should deliver them to someone who can.)

Attacked: Atuhu? Paran nora wruha tak ngko walesanku anggirangi wa sakala. Rika mangke sira bakal wruha.
    (Truly? Didn't you know my vengeance puts monsoons to shame? Soon you will.)

Declares War: Sadurungira prang puput, sira bakal wruha krodhaning jung sewu
    (Before this war ends, you will know the fury of a thousand ships.)

Defeated: [Our dreams of a united archipelago (Nusantara) is lost to the tide.]
    (The dream of Nusantara is lost to the turning tide.)
    *There was no transliteration but someone translated the line in English above the in-game line.

Greeting: Sang Gitarja ta aku, Ratuning kalawan Pangraksaning Indonesiya. Sintena ikang kumira? Aku tanpa bisa lumrah aneng dhasaring samudra
    (I am Gitarja, Indonesia's queen and protector. Those who thought us weak litter the ocean floor.)

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  13. Guandao

Her language is probably not the same form of Javanese as Gajah Mada, which is apparently more archaic. I'm a bit disappointed it's modern Javanese, but at least they used a formal form.

14. Morningcalm

Updated with Gitarja. I was disappointed her intro said Indonesia; that kinda ruined the atmosphere--had it not been for that I would have (not knowing better) been convinced she was speaking archaic Javanese like Gajah Mada in Civ V (I'm not sure we ever got his lines translated for the Civ V thread; my memory is fuzzy).

conorbebe and Zaarin like this.
  15. Sagax

Sagax Chieftain

The weirdest part is that she does say “Nusantara” in her defeat screen. So it’s not factual ignorance either...

BenZL43, Guandao, conorbebe and 2 others like this.
  16. Red Khan

Red Khan Chieftain

Georgia is added and I think I will be able to find people willing to help with writing down and translation of Tamar's lines.

17. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

There have been a few Georgians posting here lately that might be willing to help.

18. Guandao

With the Livestreams and Youtube videos posted, we do get to hear a bit of the new leaders' dialogues. Unfortunately, the Youtubers tended to close the screen before the leaders finished talking. :rolleyes:

So far, we have:
    Seondeok: some form of Korean, could be modern
    Wilhelmina: likely Modern Dutch
    Genghis Khan: some form of Mongolian, could be modern
    Chandragupta: apparently Sanskrit
    Poundmaker: likely Cree, not sure which dialect
    Tamar: some form of Georgian, could be modern
    Robert the Bruce: Scots, or maybe some form of English

Zaarin and Morningcalm like this.
  19. ToothedBomb

ToothedBomb Chieftain

Yeah, Wilhelmina speaks modern Dutch. From the limited footage available now, it looks like the on-screen translations are accurate. In one of quill18's Cree videos she says: "Nederland floreert met elke zending die u ons stuurt." which the game correctly translates to: The Netherlands flourishes with every shipment you send to us.

I can go over her other lines when there's more footage out there.

20. Morningcalm

Seondeok I haven't heard much of, but her intro mentions Korea rather than the Silla. Blergh. :|

Still, the voice actress sounds better than Sejong's voice actor in Civ V.

Zaarin likes this.