1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Language translations for leader sayings

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Morningcalm, Aug 8, 2016.

1. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

After hearing Mansa Musa's Civilopedia quote, I'm worried that it's entirely in Arabic. But what dialect of Arabic? I'm not an expert to tell that, maybe Bambara/Mandinka sounds like Arabic due to loanwords....

2. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Here are the files. Also, next to some leaders I'll tag forum users who expressed a wish to translate that leader's lines.

Dido
    Eleanor of Aquitaine
    Kristina - @Red_warning
    Kupe - @Canterbury
    Mansa Musa - as far as I can tell from my basic knowledge of Arabic, it's Arabic. Although I can't tell what type. Maybe it's Hassaniya Arabic?
    Matthias Corvinus - @oakflesh @krokobone
    Pachacuti - @Zaarin
    Suleiman - good thing: it is actually Ottoman language, not modern Turkish, so big kudos to FXS, I approve their agenda. :thumbsup: Bad thing: I can't fully understand and translate it right away, will need to ask around for help. Or maybe there is someone here who actually knows Ottoman and can do it. :)
    Wilfrid Laurier

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  3. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

Pep talk - Glädje ligger ej i andras opinioner. / Happiness does not lie in the opinion of others
    First meet - Jag är Kristina, Sveriges drottning, patron av konst och litteratur. Hälsar jag en annan kunskapsälskande person? / I am Kristina, queen of Sweden, patron of art and literature. Do I greet a fellow knowledge loving individual?
    War Human - Sverige ska tukta dem som hotar världen. Förbered er på krig! - Sweden shall discipline those who threaten the world. Prepare for war!
    War AI - Sverige skall göra sin del för att hålla världens ondska stången. Konst är ett sätt att uppnå detta, krig mot er ett annat. / Sweden shall do its part to hold evil at bay. Art is one way to achieve this, war against you another.
    Kudos - Vi har nyligen fått ett helt nytt konstverk och jag ska vara värd snart för en konstvisning. Era sändebud äro inbjudna. / We have a brand new work of art and I will soon be host to an art display. Your envoys are invited.
    Warning - Jag förmodar att du bara synar konst är god när den förena rummets estetik, din borgarbracka. / I assume you only think art is fine when it pollutes the aesthetics of the room, you lowborn oaf. / OR / I assume you only like art when it holds the room together, you lowborn oaf*
    Defeat - Jag älskade aldrig makt, och nu saknar jag konsten. Bara ånger och förlust återstår för mig. / I never loved power, and now I miss the arts. Only regret and loss remains for me.

*This sentence doesn't make a lot of sense to me, the grammar is all messed up. It may be that they have tried to use archaic grammar, the problem is that 90 % of the language used overall is modern Swedish with some odd archaic words thrown into it. Sometimes the grammar is attempting to be archaic, like the usage of "äro" instead of "är", but then the rest of the sentence is modern. I'm pretty sure "synar" is supposed to be "synes" and "förena" is supposed to be "förorena". Synar means scrutinise in this context while synes means think, and förena means unite while förorena means pollute. So she literally says "I assume you only scrutinise art is good when unite the room's aesthetics".

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
  4. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'll give this a crack tomorrow.

I don't speak a word of Quechua. :p But I believe I know someone who does.

Kristina just used this line on me. I love it so much. :lol:

5. 6uho Koe

6uho Koe Warlord

I found this video with leaders' voices and actions, particularly Dido:

She says invading her will bring destruction to the invader like Epirus and Saguntum. I'm not sure of the former but the latter was siege against Saguntum in Iberia by Hannibal. Either it's an error of history or she has psychic powers to foresee the future.

6. Lord Xavius

Lord Xavius Mostly Lurking

It's a bit of an unusual sentence, but I do think they meant "förena" and not "förorena", otherwise it makes even less sense to me. Maybe something along the lines of "I assume you only like art when it blends into the look of the room"? As in, she thinks art should stand out and not blend in? Only a guess.

When all the leaders are immortal demigods from 4000 BC I'm willing to cut them some slack. :p

Buthera likes this.
  7. Red_warning

Red_warning Warlord

I've found out that the English subtitle is "I suppose you think art is great when it ties a room together, you philistine", so she is basically babbling unrelated nonsense in Swedish.

8. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

I asked a scholar of Arabic, he said that it's very beautiful and proper modern standard Arabic.

9. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Deity

How disappointing. I mean it's not as absurd as Civ V's Rameses, as Musa would certainly have known Arabic fluently. But Bambara as a language is alive and well, and considering they went to the effort to use Occitan for Eleanor and Ottoman Turkish for Suleiman, it seems weird that they would get this wrong.

10. krokobone

krokobone Chieftain

Thanks for the audio files! :) Here are the translations:

Pep talk: "Meghalt Mátyás. Oda az igazság." Matthias is dead. Justice is gone. (This is a reference to the fact that Matthias is known as Matthias the Just (Mátyás az Igazságos) in Hungary.)
    First meet: "Mátyás vagyok. Én vagyok Magyarországnak királya, ellenségim ostora, az igaz híveknek védelmezője. Üdvözöllek." I am Matthias. I am King of Hungary, scourge of my enemies, defender of the faithful. Greetings.
    War reaction: "Tudhattad volna, hogy egy napon háborúság támad miköztünk." You should have known that one day there would be war between us.
    War declaration: "Pimaszságod okozá e háborúságot. És én boldogan viszem ellened győzelemre a Fekete Sereget." Your insolence has caused this war, and I will be happy to lead the Black Army to victory over you.
    Kudos: "Hamar siker titka kicsiny szövetségesid megerősítése.. nemde?" The secret of quick success is strenthening your lesser allies... isn't it?
    Warning: "Mondják, csupán hazaszeretettel fizeted segédhadaidat. Ebbűl és két garasbúl megvan a sörük." They say that you pay your allied forces with nothing more than patriotism. That and two pennies* can buy them a beer. (*the word garas means a type of coin which was used some centuries ago, and was not worth much)
    Defeat: "Ma még a győzelem koszorúját hordod, de meg tudod-é tartani, amit szereztél?" Today you are waring the crown of victory, but can you keep what you have taken?

The war reaction and war declaration sound a bit strange to me, especially the war reaction one sounds like as if Matthias is declaring the war. Maybe Firaxis switched them up accidentally?

11. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

It's probably an intentional choice, given that Mansa Musa went on the Hajj. Maybe they couldn't find a Bambara/or Mandinka speaker (yet were able to find a Zarma speaker for Askia in Civ5)? I bet Mansa Musa's VA isn't Malian. Modern Standard Arabic instead of a more historical version of Arabic is disappointing. I was hoping for at least a mix of Bambara/Mandinka and Arabic. This is the second disappointment for me about the voice acting, after Gilgamesh's Old Akkadian.

12. Zaarin

Update: Dido's Phoenician is beyond my amateurish abilities. Maybe someone versed in Hebrew could help? I could probably "fix" the Phoenician from there (Dido's VA uses basically Hebrew vowels, does not merge shin and samek, doesn't really distinguish emphatics--really it sounds like they found a Modern Hebrew speaker and handed her a text which she reads as if it were Hebrew, because the only things that really distinguish it from Hebrew are lack of begadkefet, some archaic grammar, Phoenician feminine in -t vs. Hebrew in , and some Phoenicianisms like ʾanūk instead of Hebrew ʾanôkī.).

Guandao, Red Khan and Ziad like this.
  13. Red Khan

Red Khan Warlord

Yes indeed, it's the same VA that voiced Dido in Civ5 - Julie Fainer.

Zaarin likes this.
  14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Are there others who reprised their roles from Civ V to VI?

15. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

I don't think so. However, if I recall correctly, the voice actors for Augustus and Haile Selassie in Civ V voiced Roman and Ethiopian units in Civ IV.

Guandao likes this.
  16. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I also believe that the Native American unit voice acting in Civ IV is the same as the one who did Hiawatha in Civ V.

Guandao likes this.
  17. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

English Eleanor certainly seems to be! I don't have the skills to translate it sadly.

Haven't met her French counterpart yet but from the first look it sounded like she might be speaking Old French or Anglo-Norman.

18. Kimiimaro

Kimiimaro King

English and French Eleanor has the very same animations and voice lines. The only thing that is differs between her French and English version is her character moder.

Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  19. Zaarin

Eleanor of England and Eleanor of France have the exact same lines. EDIT: Ninja'd.

20. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Oh, that's a shame but I guess it makes sense. I could have sworn Freleanor had different lines in the FL video