Language translations for leader sayings

Catherine's Pep Talk line sounds like "Buona fattura, Buona taglio, ore le si huccia". I have little knowledge of Italian.
Got help on another forum, although not from native speakers either. He says that it's not standard Italian but rather Tuscan dialect. The line spoken is "Buona fattura e buon lo taglio; or' lo si cucia!". Google translates it as "Good workmanship and good cutting; now you sew it!"
The last word specifically points to Tuscan pronunciation, it's pronounced as [ˈhuːʃa] rather than standart [ˈkuːʧa].

Hmmm, I am not from Tuscany nor I'm too familiar with the Tuscan dialects, so I can't exactly give a perfect translation. But after reading this
The line spoken is "Buona fattura e buon lo taglio; or' lo si cucia!". Google translates it as "Good workmanship and good cutting; now you sew it!"
I understand what she's saying.
I would translate it as "Well made and well cut, now we sew it".

The last word specifically points to Tuscan pronunciation, it's pronounced as [ˈhuːʃa] rather than standart [ˈkuːʧa].
Yes. We Italians usually convert all hard Cs into Hs when we want to mock the Tuscans or their dialect :p

I would translate it as "Well made and well cut, now we sew it".
Thanks a lot for coming to help us! :thumbsup:

@Morningcalm can you please update Catherine's pep talk with the following?
Pep talk (Italian):
  • Buona fattura e buon lo taglio; or' lo si cucia.
  • In-game translation: It is well cut; now you must sow.
  • Real Translation : Well made and well cut; now we sew it.
  • Note: The line is based on her quote from historical novel Sur Catherine de Médicis by Honoré de Balzac - "Bien coupé, mon fils, maintenant il faut recoudre." Those were the words of Catherine to her son Henri III after the assassination of the Duke of Guise, who led the Catholic League in France against the centralization of the state, fearing the upcoming of Henri of Navarra on the French throne since the latter was a Protestant. Henri III got sick of him and assassinated him, but that move led to his death, as the king was assassinated by the ultra-Catholic monk Jacques Clément.

Last edited:
I'm the one who wrote that bit on the wiki about Montezuma's language. Although I don,t have much more experience than Tamate, I stand by the basics of my transcription (despite a few oversights). Tamate's version has haphazard word breaks and a contemporary spelling (I prefer a standard closer to the colonial era), but I definitely made some mistakes. I didn't have the patience/time to try and work my way through the agenda statements.

Attacked:
  • My first attempt: Mohuaxohuan miquih [ic] yaoyotl niman nahuac ahnozo ipan tzompantli. Nican aoc seneca Huitzilopochtli.
  • Tamate's attempt: Moaxiwan miquitzyauhyotl nimanawaca nozo ipan tzompantli. Nik an auc se neka Huitzilopotchli!
  • My updated attempt: Mohuaxohuan miquizqueh yaoyotl niman nahuac ahnozo ipan tzompantli. Nican aoc ceneca Huitzilopochtli.
Literal translation: Your [warriors?] will die [war] [immediately] [locative] or upon the altar. [Here] [not/anymore] ??? Huitzilopochtli.

I misread the form of the verb die (miqui) as a past form followed by ic (used for instrumental relative "with/thourgh which"), but it is actually a plural future; "they will die". I still don't know what the root of "mohuaxohuan" is. It's a possessive noun (second person possessive: mo- -hua) in the plural (-n), but the exact word still eludes me. As far as I know "yaoyotl niman nahuac" is a jumble of word that are not properly connected to the verb as the mean by which or place where the warriors will die: "on the battlefield" should just be in yaoc ("in/through war" would be yaoyoltica), "on the altar" would be in tzompanco. The word (or words) ceneca remains a mystery to me (nican, "here", and aoc, a negative, are common particles), if there's a connection with nequi, "want", I do not know what it is. ce necah "one over there" (literaly the number "one", in this case) doesn't make sense either as it's completely ungrammatical.

Greeting
  • My first attempt: Nihcuani teuctli Tenochtitlan. Huey tlahtoani. Tlein [on?] ticnequi. Tiyaochihuani ahnozo temauhqui?
    [*]Tamate's attempt: Nikuani tekeotl ke tel Tenochitlan. Hueyi Tlatoani. Tlinon tikneki? Tiaxiwani auh nozo timawiki?
    [*]My updated attempt: Nihcuani teuctli Tenochtitlan. Huey tlahtoani. Tlein on ticnequi. Tiyaochihuani ahnozo timauhqui?

Literal translation: [Stand aside before?] the lord of Tenochtitlan. The king [Huey tlahtoani, lit. "the great speaker", was the title of the supreme Aztec leader]. Is this what you want? You can/are able to wage war or you are afraid?

Nicuani is a bit of a mystery apart from likely being a first-person verb (n(i)-), possibly an habitual (-ni), which are usually adjectival in meaning. I have no idea where tamate gets "scowling", though: "cu" in motecuhzoma, "he scowls like a lord", is an artifact of the transliteration (the rooks are te(u)c, "lord", and (mo)zoma, "become angry, annoyed irritated"). I believe it is a form of ihcuani, "stand aside", but if the intent is "stand aside before me", that is ungrammatical.

Tamate hears a "tequeotl", but this is not a word I can find in my reference. Tel mean "but, however", so I don't know what it would do here. I believe the voice actor is just mangling the word teuctli (possibly it was given to him with the spelling "tecuhtli").

The last part is not a grammatical question in classical Nahuatl. The voice actor clearly says "temahuiqui", which is incorrect in two ways (whether its a pronounciation or grammar issue is unclear though.)

Defeated: Huitzilopochtli pohpolhuia toahchicahuachotlhuan... noahchicahuachotlhuan. Ca nicauh cencah miec ?? ipampa mixtlah ??coti.

Lit. translation: Huitzilopochtli forgives our weakness... my weakness. [???]

While the English uses an optative (i.e. MAY Huitzilopchtli forgive our weakness), the Nahuatl is a simple affirmative statement. The "chotl" syllable in "weakness" has no justification that I can see: the word should be (n/t)oahchicahualizhuan. That word, I should note, is very specifically about physical weakness, the lack of muscular strength.

I have to admit the second part baffles me, but that's because I can't make out the missing words at all. It clearly means something entirely different from the English, though: ipampa mixtlah is "in a cloudy place" and cencah miec means "a lot/large amount of".

Updated Catherine and Montezuma's lines! Thanks!

Isn't this also bad vocabulary, since tzompantli isn't an altar where sacrifices were made, but a separate structure?

Tzompantli was the skull rack.

If one wants to get really nitpicky, yes, but read a little deeper (and the Aztecs loved to use two-words expressions to metaphorically refer to something, though in yaoyotl in tzompantli isn't a recorded one), and it's not ridiculous: remember that yaoyotl is "war", not "battlefield", too. I'm far more concerned about the phrase's syntax than the vocabulary choices for this one.

Menelik cutscenes are out if anyone wants to take a crack at translations

I uploaded Menelik's lines to SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/menelik-ii
And the in-game translations has been added to Fandom Wiki.

Note - his Civilopedia quote is taken from circular letter addressed by King Menelik to the Heads of State of Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Russia, April 10, 1891. Although the original is in Amharic (source one, source two), I wasn't able to find it.

Oh how I wish someone will provide written Amharic transcriptions of his dialogue.....I like Amharic writing.
Especially for you: I stumbled upon how "sälam" (hello) that Menelik uses in his intro line is written - ሰላም :)

Also there is a new voiced line for Catherine named "Play_FRAN_CA_VICTORY_CULTURE_B" although I didn't find in the game files where it's used and can't play the game at the moment. My guess is that it's used by new persona.
You can listen to it here, seems that it's spoken in French.
https://soundcloud.com/user-1372837...-1?in=user-137283764/sets/catherine-de-medici

Last edited:
Also there is a new voiced line for Catherine named "Play_FRAN_CA_VICTORY_CULTURE_B" although I didn't find in the game files where it's used and can't play the game at the moment. My guess is that it's used by new persona.
Currently CdM's new persona has no additional voiced lines that I heard, but it could be a bug.

I uploaded Menelik's lines to SoundCloud
https://soundcloud.com/user-137283764/sets/menelik-ii
And the in-game translations has been added to Fandom Wiki.

Note - his Civilopedia quote is taken from circular letter addressed by King Menelik to the Heads of State of Britain, France, Germany, Italy and Russia, April 10, 1891. Although the original is in Amharic (source one, source two), I wasn't able to find it.

Especially for you: I stumbled upon how "Selam" (Greetings) that Menelik uses in his intro line is written - ሰላም :)

You can listen to it here, seems that it's spoken in French.
https://soundcloud.com/user-1372837...-1?in=user-137283764/sets/catherine-de-medici

I'm glad there's a new line! The leaders have new agendas so it would be weird for them to tell you off/praise you for something else entirely.

Sounds like she's saying
Il y a beaucoup de charme à nos manières. Il est tout à fait vain de résister à ces attraits.

"There's a lot of charm in our ways. It is quite futile to resist these attractions."

The leaders have new agendas so it would be weird for them to tell you off/praise you for something else entirely.
That needs at least two new line - for approval and disapproval. And there are no new Roosevelt's lines either, although he has twelve sound files instead of usual seven I don't see any that can be used for new agenda.

"There's a lot of charm in our ways. It is quite futile to resist these attractions."
This might be new agenda approval or disapproval, it's dubious in this context.
In her Magnificent Catherine persona, her leader agenda becomes Sumptuous Finery. She tries to collect as many luxury resources as possible, likes civilizations who trade luxury resources with her and dislikes those who don't.

Last edited:
This might be new agenda approval or disapproval, it's dubious in this context.
I'm not sure it is. Her new agenda approval line is something to the affect of, "All my lovers are enamored with your way of life." So the new line does sound like it could be the new agenda disapproval line.

I know Catherine de Medici (Magnificence) has a new Civilopedia Quote in French while Teddy Roosevelt (Rough Rider) takes his original quote while Teddy Roosevelt (Bull Moose) Quote is unplayable.

Catherine's new voiced line, as discussed above, is indeed her Magnificence persona Civilopedia quote, rendered in English as, "There is a certain joy of life to our culture. It is useless to resist its charm." Given the English, I'm inclined to think she's actually saying, "Il y a beaucoup de charme à nos manières. Il est tout à fait vain de résister à ses attraits."

Is Bull Moose Teddy Roosevelt also missing other lines and animations?

I know Catherine de Medici (Magnificence) has a new Civilopedia Quote in French while Teddy Roosevelt (Rough Rider) takes his original quote while Teddy Roosevelt (Bull Moose) Quote is unplayable.
Roosevelt's quote "It is important to leave a better land for our descendants." is probably based on his "New Nationalism" speech given in Osawatomie, Kansas, on September 1, 1910
Of all the questions which can come before this nation, short of the actual preservation of its existence in a great war, there is none which compares in importance with the great central task of leaving this land even a better land for our descendants than it is for us, and training them into a better race to inhabit the land and pass it on.
Source

I wasn't able to find the source for Catherine's new quote, but judging by the name they used a recording that was supposed to play when she achieves cultural victory. I guess they didn't want to go through the recording process all over again, especially with the lockdown.

I haven't played the game that much, do leaders "say" (like when denouncing) anything when they win?

Last edited:
No, you just get defeated. Possibly it was something they were planning early in development, and they recorded these lines that just ended up unused. Then as luck would have it, it ended up useful for the new persona.
It's a bit of a shame. With the emphasis on leader personality, letting the leader gloat would have been a worthwhile addition, I think.

Top Bottom