Language translations for leader sayings

I have also revised all of my original transliterations now that I can actually read Hebrew script and have a better idea of what Reckoner wrote.
Can I add these new transliteration to Fandom page?

I am no Latin scholar, but Caesar definitely seems to have an Italian accent. Disappointing not to use the proper Classical pronunciation of... his own name.
Too bad they didn't hire Luke, I was kind of counting on it, especially because he expressed that he is open for hire. :(

Lincoln's civilopedia quote is different from the text. I don't know why yet.
Seems to be fixed now.

And as of new Saladin's persona - did they just slap new subtitles and kept the old audio files?

And as of new Saladin's persona - did they just slap new subtitles and kept the old audio files?

Yep. I guess they assume few will notice. Wonder if they’ll do the same for Victoria…
Personas are supposed to have the same dialogue as their original versions. With Saladin, they forgot to give him all of his lines, so it is defaulting to generic lines :undecide: Sigh..

Another thing that I noticed: subtitles in Caesar "Defeated" line is the famous quote from Shakespeare's play - "Et tu, Brute? Then fall Caesar!". I suppose "Et tu" is already in Latin, but the voice actor says something different, I wonder why.

Personas are supposed to have the same dialogue as their original versions.
At least their agendas differ, so they can't. One of Catherine's and Roosevelt's personas don't have their agenda lines voiced at all, just subtitles. The rest of the lines are the same.
With Saladin they changed subtitles of all of his lines, but kept the audio files of another persona, except the Civilopedia quote.

Last edited:
Another thing that I noticed - subtitles in Caesar defeated is the famous quote from Shakespeare's play "Et tu, Brute? Then fall Caesar!". I suppose "Et tu" is already in Latin, but the voice actor says something different, I wonder why.
He says "Tu quaque?" Presumably this is a mispronunciation or mistranslation for "Tu quoque?" which means "You also?"

'Et tu?' Sort of French Spanish.. et being and, while tu being you in spanish but Latin language which means 'you too?'

Another thing that I noticed: subtitles in Caesar "Defeated" line is the famous quote from Shakespeare's play - "Et tu, Brute? Then fall Caesar!". I suppose "Et tu" is already in Latin, but the voice actor says something different, I wonder why.

At least their agendas differ, so they can't. One of Catherine's and Roosevelt's personas don't have their agenda lines voiced at all, just subtitles. The rest of the lines are the same.
With Saladin they changed subtitles of all of his lines, but kept the audio files of another persona, except the Civilopedia quote.
Right, I forgot to note the exception of the agenda.

But my point is they didn't actually "change his subtitles" for everything else - they literally forgot to assign the appropriate Saladin text lines, so they're defaulting to generic text.

'Et tu?' Sort of French Spanish.. et being and, while tu being you in spanish but Latin language which means 'you too?'
Huh? 'Et tu' literally means 'and you', which as such translates to 'you too'.

Also, the voice acting is surprisingly bad for so many leaders. From pronouncing things wrong (it's not 'ey tou', it's 'et tu', literally that), to saying wrong words (the example of 'quaque' from above, which is not a word and should be 'quoque'), to saying something very different (which is at least half of the time the case; subtitles are so weirdly translated), to not saying anything at all. The game would be much better to just drop voice-acted 3D models and go back to simple 3D leaderheads like in Civilization IV or even III. Without dialogue, without needing to spend a massive portion of the development budget on huge game-obscuring landscapes with a person standing in it - instead, focus all that effort on making a good game.

The game would be much better to just drop voice-acted 3D models and go back to simple 3D leaderheads like in Civilization IV or even III. Without dialogue, without needing to spend a massive portion of the development budget on huge game-obscuring landscapes with a person standing in it - instead, focus all that effort on making a good game.
I have to hard disagree with this. Voiced leaders have added a lot to the game, and overall Civ6 has done a better job with the languages than Civ5 did (though there's still plenty of room for improvement). (By the way, Firaxis, I'm still available to write Phoenician or Punic dialogue for you in Civ7. :mischief: )

Also, the voice acting is surprisingly bad for so many leaders.
As Korean-New Zealander I can say... Voice acting for Seondok is much MUCH better in civ 6 than memeifed bad voice acting of Sejong the great in civ 5. ( seriously it sounds like if some Korean-Americans to do the line rather than native Koreans)
Oh and Kupe is fine too sounds like many Maori people I have met.

As Korean-New Zealander I can say... Voice acting for Seondok is much MUCH better in civ 6 than memeifed bad voice acting of Sejong the great in civ 5. ( seriously it sounds like if some Korean-Americans to do the line rather than native Koreans)
Oh and Kupe is fine too sounds like many Maori people I have met.
Really? That's how they sound if they really do sound like that then thats good then. However I did appreciate how sejong spoke Hangul and how Kamehameha spoke.. idk it was a first for me but in civ 6 it was improved, I agree .

However I did appreciate how sejong spoke Hangul
Sejong in Civ 5 was sooooo bad that it became a local meme for a while.
ESPECIALLY his introduction
"Joseoneui gunggwore dangdohan geoseul hwanyeonghao natseon iyeo." The way he says it is just so... awkward and weird that it doesn't sound like someone who invented Korean Alphabet would sound like.
I hope he sounds better when he finally comes to civ 6 in Leader pass.
And what do you mean he spoke Hangul? Of cause he spoke Korean. What did you expect? Japanese?

Sejong in Civ 5 was sooooo bad that it became a local meme for a while.
ESPECIALLY his introduction
"Joseoneui gunggwore dangdohan geoseul hwanyeonghao natseon iyeo." The way he says it is just so... awkward and weird that it doesn't sound like someone who invented Korean Alphabet would sound like.
I hope he sounds better when he finally comes to civ 6 in Leader pass.
And what do you mean he spoke Hangul? Of cause he spoke Korean. What did you expect? Japanese?
My personal favorite of the many bizarre language errors in Civ5 is when Montezuma introduces himself as imperator rather than tlatoani. :crazyeye: Voiced leaders were a great idea and I like that Civ5's leaders were more talkative than Civ6's (I hope Civ7's leaders chatter more), but some of the voice acting and language work was very bad.

My personal favorite of the many bizarre language errors in Civ5 is when Montezuma introduces himself as imperator rather than tlatoani. :crazyeye: Voiced leaders were a great idea and I like that Civ5's leaders were more talkative than Civ6's (I hope Civ7's leaders chatter more), but some of the voice acting and language work was very bad.
One thing I liked Seondok in civ6 is that they hired local active voice actress to voice her lines- Seo Yu-ri.

But my point is they didn't actually "change his subtitles" for everything else - they literally forgot to assign the appropriate Saladin text lines, so they're defaulting to generic text.
I'm not sure what you meant here. They did write new lines for the Sultan persona, they just, for some reasons (the voice actor wasn't available?), didn't translate and voice them in Arabic. What they did is just reuse the existing files, even leaving the mistakenly switched "Attacked" and "Declare war" files in the same place.
Because of a lot of cases of back translations we can be sure that the lines are first written by game designers in English and then passed for translation and voicing.

Soon enough Suleiman's new persona will be available and we'll see if this is a pattern or just an unfortunate exception.

seriously it sounds like if some Korean-Americans to do the line rather than native Koreans
That's probably correct, since it seems that for Civ5 they looked for people no further than Canada and USA - Catherine's and Elizabeth's voice actresses are language coaches in Canadian universities and I also read somewhere that Casimir's voice actor sounds like Polish-American, for whom Polish is a heritage language.
For Civ6 they actually hired subcontractors in relative countries to find native speaker voice actors and do the recording and that's why the majority of them are good with the language they speak. Except for languages of Mexico (Montezuma's Nahuatl and Lady Six Sky's Mayan), whoever did the recordings in Mexico didn't bother to find native speakers.

how Kamehameha spoke
That's because it was properly done - by a native speaker in Hawaii. Morningcalm actually contacted him and he wrote about how it was done.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you meant here. They did write new lines for the Sultan persona, they just, for some reasons (the voice actor wasn't available?), didn't translate and voice them in Arabic. What they did is just reuse the existing files, even leaving the mistakenly switched "Attacked" and "Declare war" files in the same place.
Because of a lot of cases of back translations we can be sure that the lines are first written by game designers in English and then passed for translation and voicing.

Soon enough Suleiman's new persona will be available and we'll see if this is a pattern or just an unfortunate exception.

That's probably correct, since it seems that for Civ5 they looked for people no further than Canada and USA - Catherine's and Elizabeth's voice actresses are language coaches in Canadian universities and I also read somewhere that Casimir's voice actor sounds like Polish-American, for whom Polish is a heritage language.
For Civ6 they actually hired subcontractors in relative countries to find native speaker voice actors and do the recording and that's why the majority of them are good with the language they speak. Except for languages of Mexico (Montezuma's Nahuatl and Lady Six Sky's Mayan), whoever did the recordings in Mexico didn't bother to find native speakers.

That's because it was properly done - by a native speaker in Hawaii. Morningcalm actually contacted him and he wrote about how it was done.
Btw, I also really appreciate Māori's music from civ 6. I don't understand the language to be honest, but I did read the lyrics and the translation to English but they were so awesome.

No one caught this yet? When he introduces himself he says in subtitle "shogun of Edo..." when it REALLY have said "shogun of Japan" ( I heard Nippon so it REALLY should've been Japan... he wasn't just lord of one city!)

Top Bottom