Laptop issues

Macha

King
6 months ago, there was only one shared laptop in my house. It ran perfectly fine. Then I bought my own laptop and moved all my stuff off to my own laptop. Since 60-70% of the stuff on it were mine, needless to say it improved performance dramatically. Boot time went from ~5 minutes to 30 seconds.

About a month ago, my mum complained it was BSoDing whenver a USB device was removed. I went to fix it and noticed the computer was running pathetically slow. Much, much slower than even when my stuff was on it.

So I sort of fixed the slowness issue. I defragged, virus scanned, spyware scanned and cleared off 17GB of unused files/programs. (On a 60GB hard drive).

I always updated all drivers to their latest version. The hardware is quite old so no new drivers have been made in quite some time for some of the components.

It doesn't BSoD as frequently now, but it still happens. Any suggestions as to the cause? There are a number of different BSoDs that come up but the only one that's come up more than once or twice is the bad memory allocation.

It's still quite slow however. 2 or 3 minutes to boot, installing anything takes forever.

How old is it? It might be just crapping out.

also could be a malware that wasn't detected.

If you havent reinstalled windows on it in a long time, now may be the time. In fact, reinstalling it every year is preferable.

Top Bottom