Large Earth Map for Caveman2Cosmos

Harrier

Deity
C2C Large Earth Map - Pre Columbian with 21 civilizations. UPDATED 17 AUG 2015

EDIT: A second map with random civs and leaders has been added.

Attached is a new and updated LEM (Large Earth Map). This is a Pre Columbian map using civilizations that existed before the 1500's. It is based on my SEM+ map.

It is still a work in progress and I will try to keep it up to date with any changes that are made to C2C.

I have tried to keep resource placement similar to the real Earth, which is difficult even on a large map (due to the number of resources and available space). Therefore some resources have been placed on mountains. Those resources will not be accessable until the Mountainering tech. (most are Industrial resources - coal etc.). You will need to ensure the option "Usable Mountains" is selected, via the BUG screen. (It is on by default).

Being a Pre-Columbian scenario, there will be no potatoes etc. in the old world. or horses etc. in the new world.

Each culture group (7) has 3 Civs. Giving a total of 21 Civs.

The map shape is distorted in places for gameplay reasons. e.g. Great Britian and Japan are much larger than they should be compared to the nearby mainland.

Australia and Papua New Guinea are much further away from Indonesia than they should be (by sea tiles), to try and simulate the winds /currents/storms etc. that prevented early contact in recent times.

Also, I have used rivers on 2 or 3 tile islands to try and simulate sea separation, mainly in the Poloniesian Pacific Islands. Otherwise the civ Poloniesia would have no chance of surviving.

Note: The map uses custom civs. that were added back to the SVN version of C2C. So it will not work with version 35 or earlier, without modifying the MLF file found in the Caveman2Cosmos\Assets\Modules\Custom_Civilizations folder. But version 36 should be available soon for those who do not want to modify files.

Instalation instructions:

1. Download and extract the map into a folder of your choice. Then copy the map into the "Private Maps" folder of the C2C mod.

e.g. ...\Firaxis Games\Civ4\Beyond the Sword\Mods\Caveman2Cosmos\Private Maps

2. Load up C2C and initially select the "Custom Scenario" option to choose your gameplay settings. From then on use "Load Game" as normal.

Feedback is welcome.

17 Aug. 2015. Second version is now available.

Previous version had 129 downloads. Many thanks to those players. :D

Change Log.

Spoiler :
1. Made all mountains have Snow tiles. (change only applies if you use terrain damage)

2. Removed Rome and Mongolia. They never seemed to expand. (Now 21 Civs)

3. Moved the start location of China, Khymer, Russia, ... (because of the above change.) and Jivaro.

4. Numerous tile changes due to gameplay and feedback. Added more land, changed/removed bonus's etc.

5. Added Natron bonus, do not know how I missed this.

EDIT 19/8/15

Added a second map with no pre-set civs. You choose how many civs, which civs and the leaders (or let it be random).

Note the civs will be placed randomly on the map for your first game. For future games they will start in the same position or be very close to it. On occasion a civ may appear in a different location.

EDIT 10/04/16

These maps are now for version 36 only as they are not compatible with the current SVN version of C2C.

The versions on the SVN (in PrivateMaps) are compatible. SVN version 9208.

Harrier.

Attachments

• Large_Earth_Map_21_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    681.3 KB · Views: 453
  • Large_Earth_Map_no_preset_Civs.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    682.7 KB · Views: 410
looks good. one problem with the whole horses thing is they insist on having the stupid "alt history" deer and bison cav that is utterly ridiculous.

Yes upto a point, I agree - the "Alt history" techs should be an option in the C2C bug tab.

looks good. one problem with the whole horses thing is they insist on having the stupid "alt history" deer and bison cav that is utterly ridiculous.

+1

The "clockpunk" ornithopter Renaissance aircraft should also be behind an option.

It breaks historical immersion. Just because Da Vinci drew one doesn't mean they could be built at that time.

As far as I know, people in the Renaissance didn't have a powersource small enough and powerful enough to power long range flight. I recall the Chinese military employing large kites capable of holding a human, and perhaps people could build some kind of glider to jump off a tower or mountain and move quite some distance, but as far as I know, nobody ever made something that could go up and fly more than a few hundred meters on human muscle strength alone.

Clockpunk culture should give your civilization inspiration, perhaps allow you to build some kind of "myth of flight" that gives Science bonus, but not an actual flying unit.

C2C has not been an Historical Mod for many years now. Nor will it ever be. It's a What If Mod.

JosEPh

Yes upto a point, I agree - the "Alt history" techs should be an option in the C2C bug tab.

It would be nice but with so many modders and so may mods merged in it not possible at the moment. Even with WoC working properly there are still problems.

It will require quite a lot of reorganisation of the XML and a pre-C2C options screen that, like the current BtS options screen will require you to save your options, exit the game and restart Civ before they come into effect. None would work on the BUG options screen because it would be too late, the XML would already be loaded.

Currently I am working towards you being able to turn them on or off using the MLF system. IE you edit the MLF in the correct folders before you start the game. It should even work with save games once implemented.

As an example let us take Mammoths. If you don't want Mammoth units then we would need to turn them off. In theory this could be done now by just turning of the Mammoths in the Alt_Timelines/Megafauna folder. However not everything to do with mammoths is in this folder. I am working on moving everything into that folder or putting the WoC dependencies on things that can't be in that folder for other reasons. Once that is done you would be able to add or remove them from your game.

edit There are two things stopping Mammoth Units from being fully modular. These are the attack bonuses Bison Riders get against the various Mammoth units and the art styles. The former is easy to fix but the latter brings with it all sorts of problems with maintaining and improving the graphics for the units. Currently they are with the civs but should they be with the units instead? Personally I think not. I just need to figure out how to WoC enable the art styles without breaking them and in a way that makes sense to Sparth as he maintains that area.

edit There are two things stopping Mammoth Units from being fully modular. These are the attack bonuses Bison Riders get against the various Mammoth units and the art styles. The former is easy to fix but the latter brings with it all sorts of problems with maintaining and improving the graphics for the units. Currently they are with the civs but should they be with the units instead? Personally I think not. I just need to figure out how to WoC enable the art styles without breaking them and in a way that makes sense to Sparth as he maintains that area.

Moving art styles XML code to each modular folder is possible and I think most of them are already done. Ill check them in this week. I presume NIF/DDS files can stay in pak files, yes?

I know there are some terrain/bonus etc. placement faults with this new map - I have found a few myself. So will the players (50+) using this map, please post any you find.

I want feedback.

I intend to release a new version in a few months - but need feed back. :):help:

Will update as I play.
Notes:
- Nile Delta: Maybe not the East side (with the olives) but the centre with the papyrus should have flood plains as this area was riddled with floodplains and that's why the region was so rich.
- Bengali Floodplains: On the south-eastern bit, emptying into the bay (Ocean), currently there is swamp and pomegranate, can flood plains be added there?
- Natural Wonder - Mount Fuji (Fujiyama), should be located closer to the Pacific side of Japan. Suggested Location - North of the oil plot of the forested hills. You could probably get away with changing the current location to such (forested hill) to keep the same amount of food and hammers. It does mean that the starting location of Japan can reach Mt. Fuji, but Tokyo (Japan's start) is closer to Mt. Fuji than Kyoto (typical residence of the Emperor). More realistic location would be the current location of the rice, south west of Japan's starting position or the mushroom plot. You could change the current location to hill-forested Rice. Tokyo has more than enough food from the sea to compensate the lack of the rice plot. Potentially move the deer to north of oil and putting rice there if you would like (added benefit of keeping Mt. Fuji away from a potential 'Kyoto placement'.

Edit: May 13th - Mount Fuji (Japan)
Edit: April 30th - Bengali Floodplains

Will update as I play.

Thanks - I will not reply to every update (this applies to other posters as well). But I will change the map accordingly, if I believe the change is valid (probably most of the time. :).)

OK. So here is my first update to the LEM scenario. :)

The major changes are:

1. Made all mountains have Snow tiles. (change only applies if you use terrain damage)

2. Removed Rome and Mongolia. They never seemed to expand. (Now 21 Civs)

3. Moved the start location of China, Khymer, Russia, ... (because of the above change.) and Jivaro.

4. Numerous tile changes due to gameplay and feedback. Added more land, changed/removed bonus's etc.

5. Added Natron bonus, do not know how I missed this.

The file is in the first post.

Many thanks to the 129 downloaders of the first version. :)

Question?

Are any players wanting a map with no preset civs?

This means you can select any civ and leader you want, but will be randomly located a start position. Also you will be restricted to the default number of civs for a large map - unless you add more yourself.

Let me know - it is easy to do. :)

I think a SEM, LEM, HEM and GEM w/o preset civs would be good as a mapscript(s) to be added to the C2C Maps.

JosEPh

Added a LEM without preset civs to the first post.

You choose how many civs, which civs and the leaders (or let it be random).

Note the civs will be placed randomly on the map for your first game. For future games they will start in the same position or be very close to it. On occasion a civ may appear in a different location.

Seems you can not get true random placement on premade maps. Probably down to the plot evaluations made prior to placing civs at the start of each game. They are nearly allways the same tiles.

i would like to inquire into how you go about making your maps. do you use worldbuilder or do you use an editor of some sort?

I just use WorldBuilder and Notepad++.

WorldBuider to change the odd terrain or add a bonus etc. Notepad for more repetitive changes.

For instance when I moved New Zealand from left of the map to the right - I used notepad++. Using its' replace function. (replace x=0 with x=100 etc.)

But you have to write down what you want to do first, as it is very easy to screw up the map - if you do it in the wrong order. (i.e. do not replace 5 with 50, if 50 already exists. The original 50 needs changing first to a new value.)

It was time consuming - but only took a few hours overall in total, once you get in the rhythm.

There is probably a much easier way of doing this, but I could not be bothered to search for the relevant (free) software.

Listen to music and just press the keys etc. Did not take to long.

But my maps are only a quarter the size of yours.

Also I just alter existing maps, and am not starting afresh as I believe you want to.

Using Platyping's WorldBuilder maybe easier- but I have not yet tried it.

For those that use the SVN. I have updated my maps to use the new terrain changes.

e.g.. TERRAIN_POLAR_COAST was changed to TERRAIN_COAST_POLAR

There are also two more maps with fewer Civs. Sem has 7 and Lem 10.

In addition there have been some tweaks to the maps.

As these maps will not work with version 36 I have not added them to this thread.

I am trying ur 20 civ Large now, thx . . lets see how it runs on turn times. . .

Look forward for any feedback on possible improvements/changes.

I still need to add a few more terrain-features to help spawning. i.e. Bamboo, Savanna.

Also I have not yet added the new Sea/trench terrains etc. As I assume they will be a late game requirement. As well as them taking a lot of time to research and then change the maps.

Top Bottom