Larger Worlds (Abandonded)

Larger Worlds (Abandonded) 2.31

Is it possible that you could make a script with 1 island for each player? or one small continent for each player?

Is it possible that you could make a script with 1 island for each player? or one small continent for each player?
Probably. I think to make sure it's playable I'd have to use the default number of players in the game rather than the current number and I'm not entirely sure of how much control we have over areas in Civ 6. It may also require some changes beyond what I can cram into a map script since they changed that a bit.

Thanks again for all of your help Horem, I'd still be beating my head against my desk if you didn't come along! :)

The good news is that now it looks like everything is in the right place and working I can dive back into the LUA and adjust the other scripts as needed and add in some of the missing map types that we've had in past Civ games.

Right now I'm looking at adding in a Terra style map and something along the lines of Civ 4's "Hemispheres" map with the configurable number of continents. I also want to poke around in the starting plot selection code a little more to try to improve everybody's starting cities.

Do you mind tracking updates to this with github or a similar open source control repository? For those of us who like to tweak the mods a bit, but still stay updated with the main mod branch. :)

The first small continents map I played felt a lot like island chains might want to increase the sizes of the landmasses some.

The first small continents map I played felt a lot like island chains might want to increase the sizes of the landmasses some.
Yeah, I'm having a hard time getting that one to feel right. There is a random "grain" switch that I think I need to remove since the one value returns something expected and the other is more like the old Archipelago maps with one larger landmass.

Sometimes I think I'm too much of a perfectionist to work with random maps, I spent a couple hours tonight tweaking variables and then generating a ton of maps to test it :)

I also want to poke around in the starting plot selection code a little more to try to improve everybody's starting cities.

I did this by adjusting the Legendary Start Bonuses in GlobalParameters. Default is 2 Bonus and 1 Luxury resource, which to me is not very "Legendary" :)

This is just nice seven05, maps are desperately needed!

A thank you to Horem as well. Your map knowledge is keen. :cheers:

Seven05 updated Larger Worlds with a new update entry:

Better small continents and new fractal map

If you did not have 1.1 you must delete your Mods/Larger Worlds folder before updating to 1.2
  • Small continents "grain flip" removed, should now rarely generate island maps
  • Fractal.lua added with minor tweaks to help with circumnavigation
  • Starting plots for minor civs updated to make sure there is room for all of them
  • Starting plot code for major civs updated to reduce the buffer when extra players are added to the game

Read the rest of this update entry...

I love this mod, mostly for the better continent generation. It makes sea style play a much more reasonable option.

Not much to the new map, just some minor adjustments similar to what I did with the original continents. I'll probably tackle island plates next and then shuffle (aka copy&paste.lua), I'm not sure if I have to even touch pangaea but I haven't really played it much in Civ 6. That'll wrap up the "easy" maps and then I can see about some other custom map types and getting rid of some of the lousy starts that this version of starting plots comes up with, mostly landmass restrictions.

Thanks for this mod. Playing on "huge" I am noticing that one continent is completely bare of luxury resources. Have tested it several times. I looked into the mod and saw that you increased the number of continents for "huge" from 6 to 7. For some reason the game only seems to distribute resources to a total of 6 continents with each continent getting 4 unique luxuries max. The seventh continent is bare.

I'm also wondering if you have figured out what "plate value" denotes. It's a mystery to me.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I'm just happy to see new maps in the works and applaud the comradery.
Me too, without Horem I'd probably still have a broken modinfo file and malfunctioning small continents :)

Thanks for this mod. Playing on "huge" I am noticing that one continent is completely bare of luxury resources. Have tested it several times. I looked into the mod and saw that you increased the number of continents for "huge" from 6 to 7. For some reason the game only seems to distribute resources to a total of 6 continents with each continent getting 4 unique luxuries max. The seventh continent is bare.

I'm also wondering if you have figured out what "plate value" denotes. It's a mystery to me.
I'll look into that tonight or tomorrow since it's my day off tomorrow so I'll have some time. I didn't touch resource placement at all but based on a lot of what I'm seing in the lua files for map generation they probably have half of it using hardcoded values and the other half using variables so it'll have to be cleaned up a bit. I'm not quite sure what their thought process was moving many of these settings from within the map generation scripts into the game database since it looks like most aren't used or at least not used consistently.

Edit: Actually, I just stumbled across the plate value tonight while messing with another setting. It isn't used in the tectonics but it is used in the base fractal code. It will add detail to the map, especially regarding coastlines. Or, as they explain it in the comments: This will do things like roughen coastlines and build inland seas.

how do i instal this this thing?:confused:
The final path should look something like this:

C:\Users\My Name\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods\Larger Worlds

Last edited:
Seven05 updated Larger Worlds with a new update entry:

This update is focused on starting plot selection improvements.
  • Additional checks for water, mountains and snow within 6 tiles
  • Increased value of fresh water to offset the additional tile checks

This update should help improve starting plot selection. The issues I was trying to work on are the placement of major civs on smaller landmasses which seems to be better now after a bunch of test maps. I also wanted to keep civs away from the north or south map edge unless those are really good spots (river & good resources).

If you're curious I added a second test, originally it only tested plots within 3 tiles of the starting location, the workable area of the starting city. I've added a second test that checks all plots within 6 tiles of the starting location. The second test only degrades the value of the location so it looks for things like water (on a non-island map), snow, mountains and the map edge.

I also boosted the value of starting on a river and, to a lesser degree, starting on the coast which previously had no value. Combine, these two changes should ensure that if a civ does start on the coast, near mountains or in the snow/tundra those spots are otherwise very good. It is also much less frequent to start in a tile with no water, most civ capitals should now end up on river or adjacent to a lake or the coast.

Minor civs don't have the same rules so they can still end up on small landmasses or in otherwise "bad" spots.

The multilayered fractal in Civ 6 looks like it's much worse than it was in Civ 5. My imported Terra style map had a lot of issues with blocky landmasses caused by obvious region borders. I'm working on a fix but I'm not sure how much I can get to work without having to write up some custom generation methods which will be really slow in lua.

Last edited:
Top Bottom